cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2021 10:50 am  #1

Our Changing Literacy (and get off my lawn!)

https://nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/the-erosion-of-deep-literacy

But it is also clear that something else has been lost. Nicholas Carr's 2010 book, The Shallows, begins with the author's irritation at his own truncated attention span for reading. Something neurophysiological is happening to us, he argued, and we don't know what it is. That must be the case, because if there is any law of neurophysiology, it is that the brain wires itself continuously in accordance with its every experience. A decade later, Carr's discomfort is shared by growing legions of frustrated, formerly serious readers.

An implication is we will not be able to govern ourselves if we go too far down this path.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/03/2021 11:51 am  #2

Re: Our Changing Literacy (and get off my lawn!)

you just made me determined to sit down and read my book this afternoon -the idea was already percolating... .  I just shoveled the wet, heavy snow and I'll deserve some downtime after my walk

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/03/2021 12:55 pm  #3

Yay!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/04/2021 3:53 pm  #4

Now watch The Social Dilemma.

Hey! That's me up there!

1/04/2021 6:01 pm  #5

Fulton County GA had 145,000 mail in ballots.  Due to superb reading comprehension, extremists are now reporting that 132,000 were fraudulent.  Those accuatons are widely retweeted.  Further proving that 140 character accuastoins are true.

That is the reading abilities of so many extremists today.  Since Christmas, the Fulton County Election Board has been receiving death threats and angry attacks daily by the hundreds since Christmas.

Since someone with a 30 second attention span says GA elections were stolen, then those will superior reading comprehension (by the thousands) know it must be true.  Numbers?  We don't need no stick'n numbers.  We know.  Because our superior reading abilities read it.  It must be true.

Scary are so many who know everything from 140 characters.  And cannot read more than two paragraphs.   That has been observed as becoming more routine with many under thirty adults.

Last edited by tw (1/04/2021 6:01 pm)

Board footera