cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2021 7:13 pm  #1

Twitter

God knows there has been nothing but Twitter all over the place for a long time.
I was never interested and just turned off any page that asked "Member? New Here?"
Today I found a page about baseball (a lifelong source of interest for me) and a promising aspect of it, so I decided to "join."
Started off fairly straight forward with all the standard BS.  Turns out using my name got me a variation and a number in the twenty thousands.
They wanted a phone number, but asked if I preferred to use email.  Saying yes got me a box for it.
Blah, blah, confirmation code sent, blah blah, Password, blah, blah, then a really obnoxious Capcha exchange which I must have finally passed.
So I'm a member.
When I thought to try it out (reading, not posting) it demanded a verification of my phone number.  See above.
When I declined to give it, my session was ended.
WTF  

1/08/2021 12:01 am  #2

Re: Twitter

Did you register on a desktop computer, then try to read on a phone? AFAIK Mobile Twitter requires a mobile number, but desktop shouldn't.

1/08/2021 12:44 pm  #3

Desktop.
It looks like they just want a phone number.

1/08/2021 7:44 pm  #4

hmmm.  I only used desktop, but they don't have mine, I think.   but if they do, I gave them a landline# -shit has probably changed since then.  I only registered to get live updates of my daughter's water polo tourney in California one time several years ago, and recently updated to read her new "interesting facts" tweetamajig.

Last edited by monster (1/08/2021 7:45 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/09/2021 8:38 am  #5

Question: Is being on Twitter something you really want? It seems like a terrible idea.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/09/2021 10:26 am  #6

I have a twitter account - though I can't remember my login details and have long since changed my email account 

I flirted with it for a bit. I used to follow a few people and used to post occasional thoughts - used to follow a few history nerds and researchers which were usually interesting. 

There was just too much shite to wade through though to get to anything interesting. 

1/09/2021 12:10 pm  #7

My mother’s teddy bear had a Twitter account for a while. He fell in with a whole load of other teddy bears who had things like gym class nights, and drinks in the club nights and stuff like that. It was pretty weird. He gave it up after a while.

Living life on the edge.

1/09/2021 4:13 pm  #8

griff: You are probably right.
There have been posts I thought I would like to read in their entirety, but not allowed to.
Maybe they'll kick me off like Thump.

Board footera