cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2021 3:09 pm  #1

Sorry for the spam magnet -Which Antivirus?

What do you use and why? please and thank you

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/12/2021 11:37 pm  #2

Re: Sorry for the spam magnet -Which Antivirus?

srsly dudes?  All these nerds in one place and not a peep?  I used to get Norton through my internet provider, but they got a divorce.  My son, daughter and internet provider all have different opinions, I need a referee....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/13/2021 3:04 am  #3

I use the windows one in my pc bc I need for the background stuff not to fight with itself because of additional software I run for my job.

Living life on the edge.

1/13/2021 8:11 am  #4

I've been using Webroot from Best Buy. It works good.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/13/2021 9:45 am  #5

thanks.  am currently using Defender plus the weirdass new thing built into the new router but I have concerns. Daughter investigated ton of free and subscription options, son is Mr. Brand Name Spend-a-lot and is skeptical. Provider is biased and staffed by call center people who likely don't know ass from elbow..... but also nothing to lose.  This was not my job!!!

1/13/2021 10:17 am  #6

I feel like someone here told me the antivirus built into Windows was good enough.  I'm a nerd, but not in this particular area.

1/13/2021 7:56 pm  #7

thanks for the link.  Funny though, that's pretty much the only thing my "advisors" agree on -Defender is OK but not good enough

1/13/2021 9:40 pm  #8

Grandfather wrote:

That sounds familiar.

That entire discussion was about execution bottlenecks.  None of that was about an anti-virus program.

Windows defender does some things.  Problem is that nobody will discuss all those things that all anti-virus software does.  Norton, as best i can tell, no longer has the reliability that it once had.  Kaspersky is suspect for many reasons, most (but not all) unjustified

I have seen where Defender had no problem with my one software program that put a network connection in promiscuous mode.  Another package also did not defect it until I did the manual full scan option.  Then it deleted that program before I realize what is was doing.  But it (only in full scan mode) detected what all should have reports as malware.

Anti-virus software has no relationship to something completely different - slow computer.  That was discussed in "that sounds familiar".

1/13/2021 9:45 pm  #9

monster wrote:

Daughter investigated ton of free and subscription options,

Some free anti-virus software are new companies offering their product for free, for a few years.  So that consumers are, in essence, beta-testing their software.

Others are a way of getting into your machine mostly for marketing purposes.  And sometimes for nefarious reasons.  No problem as long as nothing financial or personal is done on that machine.  Otherwise, even Defender is a better option.  Since we rarely know which packages are from a company trying to become another Trend Micro.

1/13/2021 11:13 pm  #10

Dear Grandfather

My, what big signature you have!!!

Srsly, what are you compensating for?

Nvm, I don't want to know.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/13/2021 11:30 pm  #11

monster wrote:

srsly dudes?  All these nerds in one place and not a peep?  I used to get Norton through my internet provider, but they got a divorce.  My son, daughter and internet provider all have different opinions, I need a referee....

The Federal Government likes the current release of McAfee.

https://storefront.disa.mil/kinetic/disa/service-catalog#/forms/antivirus-home-use

Be Just And Fear Not

1/14/2021 12:09 am  #12

tw wrote:

monster wrote:

Daughter investigated ton of free and subscription options,

Some free anti-virus software are new companies offering their product for free, for a few years.  So that consumers are, in essence, beta-testing their software.

Others are a way of getting into your machine mostly for marketing purposes.  And sometimes for nefarious reasons.  No problem as long as nothing financial or personal is done on that machine.  Otherwise, even Defender is a better option.  Since we rarely know which packages are from a company trying to become another Trend Micro.

thanks, yes I know free ain't free and I'm not particularly inclined to go that route..... but I'm still keeping an open mind. ish.  I was going to screenshot and paste me asking her " but how are they making their money" ... because I thought it was funny, however the convo contained other stuff so.... just trust me I did.  In a way you would have been proud of :D

1/14/2021 12:14 am  #13

Grandfather wrote:

Well, what did Polo Girl, who did some research, settle on?

this

tw wrote:

Kaspersky is suspect for many reasons, most (but not all) unjustified

1/14/2021 12:20 am  #14

Norton is who my provider was sleeping with. McAfee is what beest chose before the freebie was a thing.  But when Norton was provided free and McAfee hiked their prices, he switched us to Norton and that's where we've been until now.  Also McAfee just wound us up.  We found it impossible to find the right balance in the settings.  

I'm kind of getting used to Defender as my interim.... but if it was a living being, it would be dead already.

1/14/2021 11:03 am  #15

Grandfather wrote:

Whether or not you agreed with glatt's assessment of his situation back then is irrelevent here.

Still waiting for him to contribute something that says something.

Defender does some things.  I have seen McAffee detect possible malware that Defender never saw.

None of them cut off the some 40 other websites that talk to your computer when accessing only one.  A short list:  amazonaws.com, deploy.static.akamaitechnology.com, bc.googlecontent.com, 151.107.117.140, 142.250.41.188, ew53.r.cloudfront.net, static.steadfastdns.net, 74.217.31.234, 74.217.31.247, 72.21.91.41, dca.untd.com, bm-nginx-loadbalancer-mgmt.nym2.adnexus.net, 23.92.190.74, 159.127.42.146, 8.43.72.41, nycp-hlb.doubleverify.com, val.vip.prod.criteo.net, 165.227.252.242, 204.154..cdn77.com, elestic.ssl.ui.r.com, any2.facebook.com, staic.reverse.lstn.net, and  ycip.vip.nya.yahoo.com

Just some connections I could catch before they disconnected.  And many had four or ten simultaneous connections.

What anti-virus software is verifying their unfettered access?

1/14/2021 9:11 pm  #16

A Trump lover can only post more cheapshots, has nothing to contribute, and always tells us what his ego believes.

1/15/2021 7:21 pm  #17

Grandfather wrote:

Tw has been made obsolete by artificial intelligence (tw < AI).

Exactly what Joseph Goebbels ordered Nazis to do.  Never post facts. Only post insults.  Extremists and other anti-Americans would post so many times since 6 Jan without contributing one honest fact.  No problem.  Trump lies constantly.  That proves Sexobon should also lie constantly.

He does not aggressively condemn terrorists on Capitol Hill.  A patriotic American would have done so in spades.  Not an insult.  A fact.

Board footera