cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2021 9:51 pm  #1

Animals (Gilmour, Waters, Mason, Wright)

This is the last album from the golden era of Pink Floyd that I got into. After the mellow grooves of Dark Side of the Moon, the wistful melancholy of Wish You Were Here, and the psychological roller coaster of the Wall, there's... Animals. This album is a bitter, cynical slap in the face. There's nothing pretty about it, this album is just as gritty and painful as the worst that life has thrown at you.

These kinds of lines jump out at me--

Got to sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street
Got to be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
So that when they turn their backs on you
You'll get the chance to put the knife in
You gotta keep one eye looking over your shoulder
You know it's gonna get harder and harder as you get older
And in the end, you'll pack up and fly down south
Hide your head in the sand
Just another sad old man
All alone and dying of cancer

WHO SAYS THAT IN A SONG..??

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

1/26/2021 11:28 pm  #2

Re: Animals (Gilmour, Waters, Mason, Wright)

They figured it was time to slap them pot smokin' hippies up side the head.
Clue 'em in before the world devoured 'em.
10 years later I was using Dogs of War on my answering machine.

"Dogs of war and men of hate
With no cause, we don't discriminate
Discovery is to be disowned
Our currency is flesh and bone"

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/27/2021 4:49 pm  #3

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

They figured it was time to slap them pot smokin' hippies up side the head.
Clue 'em in before the world devoured 'em.
10 years later I was using Dogs of War on my answering machine.

"Dogs of war and men of hate
With no cause, we don't discriminate
Discovery is to be disowned
Our currency is flesh and bone"

Bruce, I adore Gilmour-Floyd. Momentary Lapse of Reason (title track featuring a man who lies awake at night re-playing the mistakes that altered the trajectory of his life), and the Division Bell, the tour of which I went to. These two albums are HEAVILY in rotation at my place.

1/27/2021 4:53 pm  #4

Undertoad wrote:

Waters took over. He was the least musical and most lyrical of the group. He was a bitter prick and became harder and harder to work with. Wright gave up and almost none of his brilliant work is on Animals, aside from bits of Sheep (which I think were developed during the WYWH sessions) and he was eventually fired during The Wall for not adding anything. 

Waters will still slag off his old bandmates. Fuck him, he was a very average bass player even after  decades at it.

I agree with the personal criticisms, but I think Waters was not a "good" bass player in the same way that Ringo Starr was not a "good" drummer, in other words brilliant at erring on the side of playing just a touch less than what the song calls for-- never more, but usually *just right*

What I think about the rhythm section of classic Pink Floyd is-- it's textbook. Meat and potatoes. I can't think of a better example of every bass drum note being *perfectly* mirrored by a bass guitar note, although I'm sure there are plenty.

I can't imagine what Pink Floyd would have sounded like if the bass and drums were given to flights of fancy and virtuostic embellishment, but I don't like thinkining about it..

I've actually gotten to the point of using only big, deep toms, because of listening to Nick Mason a lot recently-- my highest rack tom is 12" by 10" deep. The lithmus test is-- can I play the drum fills from What Shall We Do Now?

BUM! BUM! BUM!
doo doo doo TA
BUM! BUM! BUM!
DOO DOO DOO D-DOO, DOO D-DOO

Last edited by Flint (1/27/2021 5:15 pm)

Board footera