cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/15/2020 1:25 pm  #1

Random Thoughts

I just made signs to indicate that I will be doling out candy on Halloween..  Quickly skimming them as a last check, I misread "Socially Disturbed" Trick-or-Treating

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/15/2020 2:22 pm  #2

Re: Random Thoughts

What other kind is there?

Living life on the edge.

10/20/2020 8:36 am  #3

It's funny to see so many of the ongoing threads being started over here -often by different posters.   They're so many years old, you know who should be showing as the OP..... and when you want to post in one and it doesn't exist yet, having to start it seems kind of disloyal to the OP....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/20/2020 8:43 am  #4

monster wrote:

It's funny to see so many of the ongoing threads being started over here -often by different posters.   They're so many years old, you know who should be showing as the OP..... and when you want to post in one and it doesn't exist yet, having to start it seems kind of disloyal to the OP....

I don’t see it as disloyal. It’s an affirmation that their original idea was a good ‘un. Like UT’s original idea of Teh Cellar.

Living life on the edge.

10/20/2020 9:01 am  #5

I know, but it feels that way, like I should wait for them to have the opportunity 

10/20/2020 3:42 pm  #6

I just read the "Private Message" button as Private Massage.  I really should slow down....

11/08/2020 10:55 pm  #7

It's like watching WALL.E

11/17/2020 2:01 pm  #8

When I put my face in my hands, I realize how very tiny my face really is.

11/29/2020 11:22 pm  #9

Potato, Potahto
Tomato, Tomahto,
Camilla, Kamala

12/06/2020 3:42 pm  #10

Note to self:  STILL allergic to dust.   aaaaatchooooooooo!

1/01/2021 8:53 pm  #11

Let the lockdown baby boom commence....

1/21/2021 11:06 am  #12

My daughter just informed me that today is the 21st day of the 21st year of the 21st century.

Now you know too.

1/21/2021 12:19 pm  #13

I did not know that

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/21/2021 12:35 pm  #14

Big data has decided I need a motorcycle, who am I to argue?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/03/2021 10:11 am  #15

Our cars are sitting in the driveway, covered in 4 inches of snow and have been that way since Saturday.  It occurs to me that this is some sort of status symbol. 

I spend the day sitting at the computer in my upstairs hallway, and peck away at the keys.  Vans come to the house and drop stuff off occasionally.  Once in a while, I go to the store and just take food off the shelves.  And somehow the economy think is this is appropriate.

I'm a cog in the wheel of this economy, and my contribution is my keystrokes.  It's so crazy.

A garbage truck just drove by, and those guys were doing actual work.  While I peck away at keys.

2/03/2021 10:12 am  #16

This morning I sent instructions to lawyers in Myanmar, and wondered if they would bounce back.  But they didn't.  They were acknowledged.  So there's that.

2/03/2021 10:16 am  #17

It sounds like I'm bragging.  I'm not intending to brag.  I just think it's crazy that what I do is valued.

2/03/2021 10:15 pm  #18

What is wrong with this country?  just yesterday..... I dealt with a running group holding a 50K/100K challenge for February ....and tracking progress in miles, AND a college program required a "B average" on a 4.0 scale.

2/03/2021 10:41 pm  #19

Undertoad wrote:

next week i work on a project that can legitimately take down a major european airline if i don't do it right

8 years ago i worked at a pawn shop

it sounds like i'm bragging, but it was 50% luck and 25% the labor market

i will accept the last 25%

I hear you man.

2015, $9.25/hr at Jiffy Lube

2020, fired, then corona

2021, 95% lifetime peak salary.

I have some technical skills and some life skills and some luck.  I think it's lucky for me that the people who were looking for someone with my technical skills contacted me so I could use my people skills to make a deal while I used my life skills to not lose my shit in the meantime.

Your ratios may vary.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/04/2021 2:55 am  #20

glatt wrote:

I'm a cog in the wheel of this economy, and my contribution is my keystrokes.  It's so crazy.

A garbage truck just drove by, and those guys were doing actual work.  While I peck away at keys.

I think about this all the time.

A speaker at an EMC conference once told the whole room of us that we were "knowledge workers" --valued for what we know, not what we do.

I feel guilty a lot for not churning out a payload of widgets every day, but literally what they want me to do is be available when they get stuck, need me to fix something, or need to ask me a question about how something works.

So is it bad that I'm sitting there playing Minecraft on slow days..? I mean, they could call me at 2am and I'd have to instantly wake up and fix whatever thing is happening. idk

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/04/2021 7:38 am  #21

glatt wrote:

It sounds like I'm bragging.  I'm not intending to brag.  I just think it's crazy that what I do is valued.

It doesn't come off that way. We see it at my house, Pete's work is highly valued, mine not so much, except somehow I'm "essential".

2/04/2021 7:57 am  #22

Just had a conversation last night with the stepson about career options, where we broke it into the main headings of "work with people, work with your hands, or work with information." Obviously there's a lot of overlap for most real jobs, and it didn't matter anyway because he doesn't like any of the three--but for myself, I was trying to estimate how much of the "work with information" sector is new to the modern age, vs how much was just using different forms of information in the old days.

2/04/2021 10:50 am  #23

monster wrote:

... 50K/100K challenge for February .

LOL.  the whole runners measuring distances in K is amusing to me.  It feels like it's just to inflate the numbers.  Why do a marathon when a 50K is such a bigger number?  I have to admit I participated in a 5K a few years ago, and it sounds like such a big deal.

tracking progress in a 50K in miles is extra funny though.  That's how NASA lost one of its spacecraft.

2/04/2021 12:46 pm  #24

Please rate this comment on a scale of M to 26 if  $ means absolute haggis and π is dead hobo

2/04/2021 12:53 pm  #25

Then ? must be right in the middle am I rite?

I Love my country, I fear the government.

Board footera