cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2021 7:16 am  #51

Re: Bikes!

That is some cool shit right there.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/21/2021 2:42 pm  #52

Lewis Buchanan builds his Norco Optic trail bike. This is apparently his fun bike. They'll be sending him his race bikes soon enough. These guys get all the best toys.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/23/2021 11:16 am  #53

It was 27 degrees before sunrise when I loaded up the car, now we're off to get a nice case of frostbike on the ODT.

Pics later.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/25/2021 7:50 pm  #54

You want to keep the weight down...

A tribute to the wicked witch...

If you're a victim of demon rum, an extra wheel can help...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/30/2021 1:16 am  #55

A selection of the latest and greatest inventions for the bicycle community...

1/30/2021 1:20 am  #56

Mt Hell, piece of cake, 1000+ riders on ice, snow, rocks/gravel, then trails, but it's downhill... mostly.

Almost forgot, it's long so if you aren't up for it just watch the first 5 minutes.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (1/30/2021 1:23 am)

1/30/2021 12:44 pm  #57

That's insane.
Best to skip forward, but you miss the best (worst?) parts.
In the first part I think there were snipers.

Last edited by Diaphone Jim (1/30/2021 12:50 pm)

1/30/2021 4:12 pm  #58

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Mt Hell, piece of cake, 1000+ riders on ice, snow, rocks/gravel, then trails, but it's downhill... mostly.

Almost forgot, it's long so if you aren't up for it just watch the first 5 minutes.

Awesome then heartbreaking.

2/15/2021 9:32 pm  #59

Making a statement?

Maybe a bike stolen from somebody who locked the front wheel to the rack?

2/19/2021 7:52 am  #60

My Aunt sent me this newspaper clipping about the bicycle factory in Chicopee, MA during the early 20th century.
Sounds like a big operation, it also answered a question I've always had about the Duryea Brothers.

Some times wheeling dealing hustlers, accomplish great things but skillfully avoid holding the bag when it ends.

2/19/2021 8:06 am  #61

This guy has that look, like I'm crazy and proud of it...

2/19/2021 8:12 am  #62

Now if you don't have a prop and you want to peddle your ass in winter, add on snow treads. Like chains for the bike.

Which is cool for occasional snow, but for the great white north or similar...

I'd want fenders.

2/20/2021 3:52 pm  #63

was cute

did enjoy

works with rubber tires too

Be Just And Fear Not

2/24/2021 12:16 am  #64

BigV wrote:

was cute

did enjoy

What works with rubber tires?

3/06/2021 6:27 pm  #65

3/07/2021 7:58 am  #66

That was delightful!

3/07/2021 12:26 pm  #67

Thanks for fixing that.
It made me watch it again and find it better than the first time.

4/05/2021 8:35 pm  #68

so much typing, a misclick, typing gone.

computers, I tell ya.

Be Just And Fear Not

4/05/2021 9:00 pm  #69

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

BigV wrote:

was cute

did enjoy

What works with rubber tires?

Home-made condoms.  very ribbed.

sorry.

ish

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/07/2021 12:00 am  #70

In 1946 none of the bike makers would touch this...

4/08/2021 7:13 pm  #71

I've been trying to make this dang post for a week now.  I'm lowering my standards and raising my output.

This is me at the end of my homeward commute last week.  I've biked to work four out of the last five workdays.  I'm improving my effort, just yesterday I made it all the way home without stopping * (stopped to wait for traffic at one very busy street, I call it Frogger Avenue), and once when my chain came off as I approached my mailbox.  Same thing today.  I'm pretty proud of myself.

Be Just And Fear Not

4/08/2021 11:33 pm  #72

You need suspenders for your chain. How far is the commute?

4/09/2021 6:19 am  #73

That's awesome V! It does make for a better day all in all and the health benefits are profound.

4/10/2021 12:31 pm  #74

xoB wrote:

You need suspenders for your chain. How far is the commute?

de chain do ride low. But that's probably because I'm in first gear in this shot, causing the derailleur to be fully extended. I actually have thoughts about getting a new drivetrain from a company called Box. They have a setup called Prime 9 with a nine sprocket cassette at the rear, the low gear of which is 51 teeth. I already have a pretty low low gear, winching level I call it. But this would be even lower. I could probably pedal straight up a tree.

The commute is a little over six miles (three out and three back). I live in a topographically interesting area...My office is at sea level and home is, home is not. The trip home is relentlessly uphill. I've just checked with my bike route mapping app, the ride is really V shaped. It just seems uphill at the end, always. There's one section according to the map (haven't double checked the math) that says it's an 11% grade. It's over the bridge, and that part is scary in the morning. I ride in the separated non motorized vehicle section, but it's very narrow. In the morning, it's straight downhill, my tears pouring into my ears. The railings are a handspan and a half away from my handelbar ends on either side. And it's pre-rosy-fingered-dawn dark. So, I'm careful. A couple times I've met pedestrians coming the opposite direction. Stop, dismount, hug the rail, resume.

Griff wrote:

That's awesome V! It does make for a better day all in all and the health benefits are profound.

Thanks!! I've taken a lot of inspiration from you, so credit where credit's due. It does. My physical discomfort has decreased, and my suspicion has increased. Is this really, this ... doable? Really? To be fair, I did wait until it wasn't WINTER to start, but it is butt cold in the morning. Cars frosted over, see your breath cold. The biking outfit in the picture has since changed. I now ride in my spandex-y long sleeved underlayer, windproof coat, and my shorts. My desk job costume started in my backpack as you can see in the picture is gone. Too hot coming home, too heavy. I've transplanted the rack from my old bike to this one and I have a pannier style bag and I pack light. Pants, tshirt, shirt, go. I keep making small adjustments to the ride, each one feels like an improvement to the route or the packlist or the parking. As the weather continues to get warmer, I think I'll love it even more.

Interestingly, it's not a lot longer, maybe ten minutes or so, each way. I'm sure most of that is changing clothes. I'm really liking it and I intend to continue.

eta: corrected attribution

Last edited by BigV (4/10/2021 12:33 pm)

Be Just And Fear Not

4/14/2021 10:00 pm  #75

Fuck. A. Headwind.

Be Just And Fear Not

Board footera