cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/29/2020 10:08 am  #1

Psst, Hey, Wanna Link?

A friend likes to write. He writes all sorts of things but for the last few years he's been writing Halloween stories, and breaking them up into 4 or 5 sections to post 1 a day leading up to Halloween. They're always good, not particularly long, he's posted the first 4 sections starting Sunday and it's about 4,000 words total so far.
You can read it at his site, https://mikefiresmith.blog/author/mfiresmith/   
Remember the posts are the latest at the top so scroll down to Sunday the 25th to get to part one.
Try it, you'll like it, or triple your money back. 

Lets see 3 x 0  =   oh, where's my adding machine?

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/29/2020 12:10 pm  #2

Re: Psst, Hey, Wanna Link?

I have it saved to finish later today; looks good.
Unlike the previous board, it seems that links do not automatically open in a new tab or window.
This loses your connection to the post.  Not that serious, but a little inconvenient at times.

10/29/2020 1:49 pm  #3

Hmm... I have a setting for that here, but it is already set to open links in a new tab. You could always right click and choose to open in a new tab, if your tabs are getting hijacked...

10/29/2020 3:14 pm  #4

After years of dial-up, I have a fast right click finger.
Won't mean anything when the Peacemakers get done.

10/31/2020 2:15 pm  #5

Finished it Bruce, but I have a few questions.

10/31/2020 9:08 pm  #6

You'll have to direct then to the author in the comments, I'm just the messenger.
It was much different from passed years, but I like it.

edit: He did kind of soften the blow for Wanda in part 7.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (10/31/2020 9:38 pm)

3/01/2021 4:00 am  #7

Has been saved as a bookmark for easy viewing at any time

5/23/2021 3:02 am  #8

I like this site, place a drop of water (not real water, mouse click) anywhere in the lower 48 and you can follow it to the ocean. You can't really follow it because it goes too fast, but it highlights each broo, stream, and river a different color and labels them.   https://river-runner.samlearner.com/

I discovered the Delaware River doesn't dump into the ocean, it dumps into Bear Swamp Pool which I've never heard of.

5/23/2021 6:57 am  #9

THIS IS SO COOL!

Seriously, it's the best new tool  I have seen on the internet in 10 years.

5/23/2021 1:21 pm  #10

glatt wrote:

THIS IS SO COOL!
Seriously, it's the best new tool  I have seen on the internet in 10 years.

Ditto.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

It hurts my head to think about how much work must have went into this tool.

And we get it for free.

Last edited by Gravdigr (5/23/2021 1:22 pm)

5/23/2021 11:14 pm  #11

Yeah, there's a small river running through the town I grew up in and I assumed it dumped into the CT River but no idea where. 
Now I know. 

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (5/23/2021 11:15 pm)

5/24/2021 6:16 am  #12

Good clean fun!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/24/2021 7:44 am  #13

There have been specific locations that I wanted to check out, and I knew vaguely that they drained in different directions, but to see this is really cool.

There is a beaver pond just below Zealand Falls hut in the White Mountains, and one end of the beaver pond drains to Long Island Sound and the other end of the beaver pond drains to the Gulf of Maine.  I spent half an hour there with my siblings one day trying to figure out exactly where the divide was and found a clump of grass on some rotten logs in the pond,  The water was slowly flowing in one direction on one side, and in the other direction on the other side.  Now I can see.

Similar situation on the hill between Carbondale and Waymart PA, and I have wondered about that one too, while driving along Route 6.  One side of the hill drains to the Chesapeake Bay, running out to the Atlantic at Norfolk Virginia, and the other side goes through the Delaware Water Gap, reaching the Atlantic by Cape May, New Jersey.

You go to Utah, and watch so much just drain into the Great Salt Lake and stop.

5/30/2021 5:48 pm  #14

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I have it saved to finish later today; looks good.
Unlike the previous board, it seems that links do not automatically open in a new tab or window.
This loses your connection to the post.  Not that serious, but a little inconvenient at times.

yeah, tha's unconvenient.

PROTIP

RIGHT CLICK ON THE LINK, choose, Open in a new tab.

read the stuff, etc etc, close the tab.  

Return to the original departure point.

Profit.

Be Just And Fear Not

5/30/2021 6:00 pm  #15

I can remember driving through the Rocky Mountains and at the pass seeing a sign indicating the point at which water landing on the west side of the sign drain to the Pacific Ocean and water landing to the east of the sign drained to the Atlantic Ocean.  Which immediately prompted an urgent need to urinate.  You can have your two-girls-one-cup, I got yer one-leak-two-oceans right here buddy.

I looked but I couldn't find the exact place NEAR A HIGHWAY, that produced the same result.  To be fair, I only started the experiment, and didn't follow it up.

Last edited by BigV (5/30/2021 6:03 pm)

Be Just And Fear Not

5/31/2021 6:32 pm  #16

Middle click opens in new tab for me.

5/31/2021 10:14 pm  #17

After playing with that river runner program a bunch of times I accidently discovered I could zoom in with the scroll wheel on the mouse. Much more gooder.

6/01/2021 1:52 pm  #18

It'll work on some damn small streams/creeks/branches, too.

I tried it on a branch I can literally step across for almost of it I've ever seen.  The tool worked just fine.  The hard part of it was clicking on the actual waterway, and not the land on either side.

6/03/2021 4:31 am  #19

BigV wrote:

I can remember driving through the Rocky Mountains and at the pass seeing a sign indicating the point at which water landing on the west side of the sign drain to the Pacific Ocean and water landing to the east of the sign drained to the Atlantic Ocean.  Which immediately prompted an urgent need to urinate.  You can have your two-girls-one-cup, I got yer one-leak-two-oceans right here buddy.

I looked but I couldn't find the exact place NEAR A HIGHWAY, that produced the same result.  To be fair, I only started the experiment, and didn't follow it up.

I think that this might be what you are looking for...

Image of the day Mar 1st, 2017: ISA LAKE

Was there in 2004 but it seems like yesterday.

6/03/2021 5:53 am  #20

The Continental Divide is a place I've peed (PIP).

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/03/2021 10:12 pm  #21

I think for most guys the thought comes up, but the logistics can be difficult depending on who you're with.

6/04/2021 4:47 am  #22

Hand on heart, I can say that both Atlantic and Pacific catchments remained unsullied by me.

6/04/2021 10:12 am  #23

My pee went to both, but extremely well-diluted.

6/04/2021 6:04 pm  #24

Carruthers wrote:

Hand on heart, I can say that both Atlantic and Pacific catchments remained unsullied by me.

What about the Gulf of Mexico?

6/05/2021 6:26 am  #25

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Carruthers wrote:

What about the Gulf of Mexico?

The Gulf of Mexico suffered not.
And I had nothing to do with that cherry tree being chopped down.

Board footera