cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2021 9:25 am  #1

So...My Computer Is Having Problems

The problem is it died.  Or at least the power switch died, IDK.  I just know it don't go no mo.

I had this other computer, the one I'm on rfn, the problem is it's old.  No, I mean, old.  The AVG version on it was 2012.  Finally got rid of that.  The thing won't display most webpages.  I try to open an image from GIS and I get the same "IE cannot display the webpage" error, and it offers to help diagnose the problem, which it can't/won't, it also can't access the Windows help library, it says.  Now, I understand that an update might fix this, but when I search for available updates, it gives me an error code (80072EFE).  It's something about the connection to the server, but, I can't find out about it, because, you guessed it, IE can't display the webpage.

Idk, if I can get away with just an IE update, or if I will need to update Win7 first.  Can I even update either at this point?  Any ideas here?  Anybody?

Bueller?  Buuueller?

By-the-by, Win7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1, IE 9, I know I should include more info, but I can't remember what it might be.  Or how to find it.

3/27/2021 11:51 am  #2

Re: So...My Computer Is Having Problems

Time for a new computer.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

3/27/2021 12:22 pm  #3

I think the power switch may be the simpler fix.
Except a new one is always nice, too.

3/27/2021 1:51 pm  #4

Yeah, time is not on my side here.  This computer is basically new, we got it because it was identical to the one that just died and it was about $400 cheeaper than that one.

The power switch is probably not the problem, but it would the much easier fix.  I might throw a few bucks at it, but, it just ain't worth the money anymore...

So, now I have a brand new computer that's at least 9 yrs old and who knows how many software generations out of date...I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  It's a train.

As for new computers that are new, I'm prolly not gonna be learning how to get rid of all the annoyances iof a new OS.  What are we up to now anyway, Win42?

The now-dead-one was a really good computer, comparitively.  I can count the times it crashed on one hand, and it was a few yrs older than the new old one.

So long old HP desktop, we hardly knew ye.

3/27/2021 1:59 pm  #5

Ooh, I just had a thought...Yeah, I know I thought it was thunder.

What are the chances that the back-up discs (for the currently beyond-living 'puter) I made like a month ago will work to bring this computer around to functionality?

They're basically identical.  There are some hard drive capacity differences, and they have some different drives installed.  The old one had a LightScribe dvd burner, this one just has cd-burning/dvd-playing.  Old one isv Win7 Home, SP 2 (or 3) new one is Home Premium SP1.

Last edited by Gravdigr (3/27/2021 1:59 pm)

3/27/2021 2:00 pm  #6

Both are HP Pavilion, btw...

3/28/2021 6:32 am  #7

I'm not a computer guy, but just wanted to let you know I feel your pain.  I hate computer repair.

3/28/2021 6:28 pm  #8

IE cannot display the webpage.

It's a positively ancient desktop.  It's at least 9 yrs old.  I wouldn't expect it to still be under warranty.

3/28/2021 6:36 pm  #9

glatt wrote:

I feel your pain.

Last edited by Gravdigr (3/28/2021 6:36 pm)

3/29/2021 4:28 pm  #10

Gravdigr wrote:

"IE cannot display the webpage" error, and it offers to help diagnose the problem, which it can't/won't, it also can't access the Windows help library, it says.  .

Load Chrome and the browser works fine.  MSFT is quicker to obsolete their old products.

Power switch does not power on anything.  It is simply a key no different than all those switches on a keyboard.  Something else inside decided to and then powers on a computer.  Simple instructions mean numbers that can then say what is or is not defective - without doubt or speculation.

Why repair anything?  First and foremost reason is to learn.  Even it not fixing it, spending that little time learning what is defective makes one self sufficient.

I finally gave up on a Dell after 14 years.  A few computers that I still are somewhere around 20 years old.  Still using XP.  Finally gave up on Windows NT 3.1.  But still use DOS from time to time. Problem is that DOS does not work on 64 bit hardware.

Age says nothnig relevant.  What matters if the OS.

Board footera