cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2021 9:51 pm  #1

Somewhat Excited

(Doesn't take much right now, admittedly.....)

....and fucktons apprehensive.

DECIDED.  I'm driving to Florida (solo) in two weeks to see my daughter as she graduates with her Masters degree.  The ceremony is online... but I made her rent robes so she could take pics for her proud maternal element to hang in her nursing home cell in a few years   ....we could take pics together in front of important college building like life IRL, job hunting is all remote anyway.....  I will be (literally) getting my second vax shot en route, two days before Zoom thingy.  Doesn't really matter if I don't get there on time (because zoom) but I'd rather not risk being stuck somewhere with no wifi and unable to watch....

We're gonna grab a tent and explore a little together after -she's barely had time to look around), and then I'll meander back via uncrowded interesting places.... and hope someone is sitting on my doorstep with a job offer.  Or something.

Thunderboy may burn the house down when I'm gone.  This would not be good.  He may also forget to feed the fish, the cats, himself.... Also not so good.   Totally unlikely to do laundry. Or dishes.  It certainly wasn't great when I went last February for about half the planned timeframe, but he seems to be better about getting to work than he was to college, there is no car for him to total this time ....tell me it will be ok.....?  Bajaboi will be put on supervision duty.... but probably also not wise... just the wisest....

(I've driven to Florida before a couple times, but I've always had a copilot (mostly unused in the driving capacity -I don't passenger well- but available for inane conversation, passing snacks and drinks, finding good radio, interpreting GPS, dealing with making late night motel inquiries.....)

and No, I do not like audio books.

Last edited by Limey (4/07/2021 4:02 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/06/2021 5:57 am  #2

Re: Somewhat Excited

It'll be good to get out on the open road.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/07/2021 4:14 am  #3

Have fun!

Living life on the edge.

4/07/2021 12:17 pm  #4

I drove across the US (and back) twice solo in my younger days. 
Too old now for a third, but I envy you.
Yes, the home front will be just fine, better than OK.  

4/07/2021 1:12 pm  #5

I'm hoping I don't encounter covid madness or get 2nd vax symptoms that render the drive a nightmare.... wibble.  Flying is pretty cheap, but airports are a hassle and I'd need to rent a car and this was I can take all of the things she wants from the house....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/07/2021 1:49 pm  #6

Hopefully the 2nd VAX symptoms will be minor for you.  A sore arm should respond well to Advil, and a headache too.

4/07/2021 2:48 pm  #7

Sounds like an awesome trip!

4/07/2021 4:02 pm  #8

Thread title edited at Monster’s request.

Living life on the edge.

4/07/2021 5:47 pm  #9

thanks, I vote to re-elect you forever! 

4/07/2021 5:48 pm  #10

....no wait.....  don't change it back.......

4/08/2021 8:31 pm  #11

monster wrote:

(Doesn't take much right now, admittedly.....)

....and fucktons apprehensive.

DECIDED.  I'm driving to Florida (solo) in two weeks to see my daughter as she graduates with her Masters degree.  The ceremony is online... but I made her rent robes so she could take pics for her proud maternal element to hang in her nursing home cell in a few years   ....we could take pics together in front of important college building like life IRL, job hunting is all remote anyway.....  I will be (literally) getting my second vax shot en route, two days before Zoom thingy.  Doesn't really matter if I don't get there on time (because zoom) but I'd rather not risk being stuck somewhere with no wifi and unable to watch....

We're gonna grab a tent and explore a little together after -she's barely had time to look around), and then I'll meander back via uncrowded interesting places.... and hope someone is sitting on my doorstep with a job offer.  Or something.

Thunderboy may burn the house down when I'm gone.  This would not be good.  He may also forget to feed the fish, the cats, himself.... Also not so good.   Totally unlikely to do laundry. Or dishes.  It certainly wasn't great when I went last February for about half the planned timeframe, but he seems to be better about getting to work than he was to college, there is no car for him to total this time ....tell me it will be ok.....?  Bajaboi will be put on supervision duty.... but probably also not wise... just the wisest....

(I've driven to Florida before a couple times, but I've always had a copilot (mostly unused in the driving capacity -I don't passenger well- but available for inane conversation, passing snacks and drinks, finding good radio, interpreting GPS, dealing with making late night motel inquiries.....)

and No, I do not like audio books.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be Just And Fear Not

4/08/2021 9:07 pm  #12

already packing....

4/08/2021 9:08 pm  #13

Anyone want a socially distanced visit on the way down.  Which is my norm... I'm not huggy.....  :D

4/09/2021 11:57 am  #14

monster wrote:

Anyone want a socially distanced visit on the way down.  Which is my norm... I'm not huggy.....  :D

Sorry to say I am a  little out of your way.

4/10/2021 12:59 pm  #15

^^^
whs

hehehehe

Be Just And Fear Not

4/16/2021 1:13 am  #16

I bought roadtrip snacks today.  and a new swimsuit that will probably be returned

4/26/2021 11:57 pm  #17

Daughter graduated. Pics taken, here, there and everywhere. (on campus today). Campsite for next two nights selected, booked and paid for (fingers crossed it's ok....).... off on adventure tomorrow.  We may be some time.... AFAIK Thunderboi has not yet incinerated the house.......

4/27/2021 3:26 am  #18

Have a great time!

Living life on the edge.

4/27/2021 5:55 am  #19

Have fun!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/27/2021 7:00 am  #20

Enjoy.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

4/29/2021 5:31 pm  #21

campsite was excellent... middle of a forest COULD NOT HEAR TRAFFIC AT ALL.  Just birds and things.   And now....... bless friends..... installed in a beachside condo in Vencie FL belonging to a friend...... :D  Ocean view (just), sunset over the Gulf every night........everything else we want to do is pretty much in daytrip range.....

4/29/2021 7:37 pm  #22

vicariously ecstatic.

Be Just And Fear Not

4/30/2021 4:39 am  #23

Sounds wonderful!

Living life on the edge.

5/10/2021 7:52 pm  #24

Yesterday..... I needed to get gas as we neared home after kayaking...... but forgot, figured I'd do next time I headed out.  Today as we headed home after a boat trip .......in a different car....... we saw lines for gas stations out the wazoo  ...plan was to be starting to head back tomorrow, maybe via some east coast ish places...... got home, ran out, managed to get gas at nearest station -was second in line for pump when I got there, line was on the street by the time I moved forward to the pump. This may be a rocky ride

5/13/2021 1:57 pm  #25

Almost home, just enjoying a lovely lazy afternoon on the balcony of the gorgeous non-cellar-dwelling of a dwellar friend whilst that poor sod had to go to work.  It's a tough life.

We did a few trips out from the Condo -saw the Ringling Museum where archpologirl might apply for an internship because it is run by FSU, tripped down to Sanibel, walked along th beech at sunset.... then we decamped to the southeast corner and daytripped to The Keys, snorkelling the Coral Reef and parasailing.  Then back up to Tally, via the museum of Fine Arts in St Pete's (30 mins) to see an exhibition set up by Archpologirl's MA thesis supervisor containing mosaics from Antioch* -on which she had taken a class and written a paper, and Clearwater beach (10 minutes, so not us....). Back in Tally, we Kayaked on the Wakulla and saw a gator but no manatees.... and then on the last day, a boat trip downriver from the Wakulla Spring -lots of gators, then just as we were returning to dock, a Manatee!

*no bunnies or hand grenades were seen in the mosaics

Board footera