cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2021 2:36 pm  #26

Re: Wildlife

The test, utilizing an unused thermostat to control it.
https://youtu.be/3W4jD3zqzN0

1/31/2021 2:37 pm  #27

Ha! Brilliant!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/31/2021 5:03 pm  #28

What could go wrong?

2/07/2021 6:04 pm  #29

Maybe you're being punished for cutting down his tree.
Need a way to automate that horn like when the critter breaks a beam or something.
Then replace the horn with a shotgun or small thermonuclear device. 

You're lucky it's not a Bear...

but

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (2/07/2021 6:04 pm)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/07/2021 6:07 pm  #30

Use wildlife to your advantage, Bison can plow your sidewalk.

3/07/2021 1:28 am  #31

Yeah use the Bison, this guy is ready to sleep as long as it takes...

3/07/2021 1:40 am  #32

I tawt I taw a puddy tat.... but it was dark...

It took 6 months to get these pictures.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (3/07/2021 1:41 am)

3/14/2021 4:55 am  #33

Black cats to white meeses...

4/06/2021 1:45 am  #34

A quartet joins the sax lady for a honk session...

4/19/2021 9:41 pm  #35

Fungi....

4/20/2021 12:14 pm  #36

A Montana guide was killed by a bear while fishing this week.
News story said "large adult male grizzly weighing over 400 pounds."  That's not even a big NFL lineman.

Also this week, stories of grizzly/polar bear hybridization due to climate change. 
The offspring are fertile, with their long term vigor and viability bring studied.

4/22/2021 7:24 am  #37

Diaphone Jim wrote:

News story said "large adult male grizzly weighing over 400 pounds."  That's not even a big NFL lineman.

You wouldn't think that way if a 400 lb grizz was unwrapping you like a gas station burrito.

4/22/2021 12:26 pm  #38

"You wouldn't think that way if a 400 lb grizz was unwrapping you like a gas station burrito."
They get over 1000 pounds.  It really matters more about their attitude, I guess.  This one's got him shot the next day.
About 150 years ago (a very long time around here) a local mountain man got in a dispute with one over a deer he had shot.  
So old James Hull shot the bear too, but only fatally wounded it, leaving time for the bear to kill Jim before it  also died. 
They were found the next day about ten feet apart on what is now Hull Mountain.

4/24/2021 10:30 am  #39

Undertoad wrote:

Also this week, stories of grizzly/polar bear hybridization due to climate change

CNN promised that since y'all no longer hate Trump so well, plummeting their ratings, they are going to find new things for you to be angry and correct about, and climate is at the top of the list. Just fair warning

Well DUH, climate change is at the top of the list of things changing the world we live in and must adapt our lifestyle to. Whether we cause(d) it, can do anything about it, how much and how fast, are open for debate. However that doesn't alter the fact it's happening, or that it's causing changes we have to cope with. The hybridization of Polar and Grizzly Bears doesn't affect you and me but it may be a clue to other things going on that will affect us.
Headline writers will always make the story more imperative, they're the click baiters of print, but that doesn't change the importance of the subject.

4/24/2021 11:46 am  #40

This stuff is tricky because sometimes raising public awareness is what allows the problem to be solved. There were significant polar bear conservation efforts put in place around 20 years ago, in order to prevent the worst-case scenario of "no more polar bears." Did those efforts play an actual role, or would the polar bears have been fine without them? I dunno, I'm not an expert. If they did play a role, would the politicians (and their appointees) who greenlit those efforts been interested in doing so, without some level of public outcry?

I'm all for avoiding panicky confusion, and my instinct says the average person doesn't need to know about every crisis being tackled at every person's job. Specialization is a good thing. On the other hand, I've done a fair amount of work with politicians on non-environmental matters, and my experience is that they respond to emotional, one-on-one appeals. If a politician's wife reads a scare-article about the polar bears, she'll talk about it at dinner, and he'll be far more likely to sign the conservation bill than he would if a panel of biologists explained in clear terms why he should.

I, personally, think that innovation will solve climate change, because people insist on surviving. The worst-case scenarios won't ultimately come to pass because we'll keep doing shit like inventing roof paint that reflects 98% of sunlight. So I'm not worried. But would we make those innovations if truly nobody was worried? I don't think so. The trick is to get the people who have problem-solving personalities worried, while keeping the people who have problem-panicking-action-avoiding personalities soothed and out of the way.

4/24/2021 11:50 am  #41

I was really talking about bears here on the wildlife page.
I think it is news that the two species are recognized to be hybridizing as environmental conditions seem to be putting them in contact with one another.
For all I know it may be happening on Manhattan's roads too. 

4/25/2021 9:12 am  #42

We (people) have proven over and over and over that we cannot, in fact, handle the truth.

Proof is no further away than the Politics thread.

4/26/2021 10:04 pm  #43

Undertoad wrote:

I'm sure that's what drives the activist journalism, or as I call it, jacktivism

I do not believe that dividing the public into two camps on the matter will be effective... I'm certain that doomsaying that fails to come about is very counter-productive

The real answer is truth, we can handle the truth

Well, thanks for your vote of confidence in me.  

Hit me with the truth about climate change / global warming / pick your hashtag, if you please.

I'm listening.

Be Just And Fear Not

4/27/2021 8:58 pm  #44

Climate activism isn't splitting the public in two.

4/28/2021 11:11 am  #45

Undertoad wrote:

...from Manhattan's west side highway... which, according to the fear stoking stories of 1997, is supposed to be under water right now. Experts guaranteed it

I can't find anyone predicting the west side highway being under water at least before the end of this century. Experts or media.

4/28/2021 12:25 pm  #46

Undertoad says: "My climate takes are already available in the archives."
I won't disturb them.

4/29/2021 10:29 pm  #47

The chick who wrote the Salon article is beating the doom and gloom  scenario for sure. Probably fairly accurate in pointing out how warming affects all the hazards we live with, but describes all this bad shit as if it were all on a train with Casey Jones headed for town. She quotes one scientist, hell the deplorables can show a dozen scientists on any given day who claim it's not happening at all or it's a normal natural cycle.
Didn't that area get flooded during Sandy? Lets see, 2012 from 1989 is 23 years so close. 

5/04/2021 11:31 pm  #48

No you don't. NASA top climate scientist through WAPO sounds promising. But the link is some chick writing for solon telling us she remembers talking to this scientist a dozen years before and she remembers he supposedly said blah blah blah. Hardly impressive evidence. I remember ocasional blurbs about how we're all going to drown next week but laughed at the crackpots.
Why was the Hansen before congress, probably to warn them about climate change. He might have known the only way to get the attention of congress or the public is dramatic predictions the press can write headlines around. Don't know how he presented it to congress or WAPO, only what that chick thinks she remembers. Reiss' book is probably a better source.

5/05/2021 5:55 am  #49

We've seen the same thing with the pandemic. Science is a process not an end point. What you do with vague indicators along the way matters, unfortunately we live in a really fucked up political environment and swaths of the public show up anti-science when it suits them.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/05/2021 10:47 pm  #50

Today we saw purple coral, and lots of other coral, blue fish, yellow fish, stripy fish, puffer fish, sharks and lizards with curly tails. 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

Board footera