cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2020 11:19 am  #26

Re: is sexism // misogyny .. good?

Flint wrote:

1) Does it exist?

2) Does it improve society, or make it worse?

3) Should you say something when you see it happening?
--a) what would happen if you did..?
--b) what would happen if you didn't..?

1.  Of course it exists.

2.  It makes it worse.  Ever had a boss that refused to recognize your expertise in your field, especially if he/she was not an expert in that field him/herself?  I have it on good authority that that's what it's like, all the time.

3.  Of course you should.  
a.  If the front office is smart, nothing.  If they're dumb, you could face some trouble, but that means they're dumb and you should be faxing your resume out anyway.
b.  You could possibly get named in a lawsuit when someone decides to make an issue out of it.

Weaponized Funk

12/14/2020 9:10 pm  #27

Luce wrote:

Flint wrote:

1) Does it exist?

1.  Of course it exists.

2.  It makes it worse.  Ever had a boss that refused to recognize your expertise in your field, especially if he/she was not an expert in that field him/herself?  I have it on good authority that that's what it's like, all the time.

a.  If the front office is smart, nothing.  If they're dumb, you could face some trouble, but that means they're dumb and you should be faxing your resume out anyway.
b.  You could possibly get named in a lawsuit when someone decides to make an issue out of it.

the highlighted part reminds me of the current news item in the WSJ where Dr Jill Biden, former Second Lady and Current First Lady Elect (?) was urged, "Jill... kiddo... drop the pretentious "Dr." honorific.  You're gonna be First Lady for pete's sake.  Nobody should be called Dr unless they've delivered a baby" (I paraphrase, but closely, just goin by memory here).  What a condescending jerk.  I don't know if he should be "canceled" or not, but this essay has demonstrated he doesn't have much to say of interest to me.  Buh-bye.

Be Just And Fear Not

12/15/2020 1:54 am  #28

I was looking up Oxford Marmalade made by Frank Cooper since before dirt was invented, Queens warrant and all that. 
https://www.frankcoopers.co.uk/about-us/
Down at the bottom of the page it has links and one says "Gender Pay Gap Report".
It goes to a PDF for the Hain Daniels Group evidently owns Frank Cooper plus others to the tune of  £500m a year.

The report is 4 pages of charts , acknowledgement, explanations, and plans to rectify.
I thought it was interesting the way they approached it, no buck passing, but no self flagellation either, just straight talk.  https://www.haindaniels.com/assets/HainDanielsGenderPayGapReport2019.pdf

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/15/2020 10:10 am  #29

BigV wrote:

Luce wrote:

Flint wrote:

1) Does it exist?

1.  Of course it exists.

the highlighted part reminds me of the current news item in the WSJ where Dr Jill Biden, former Second Lady and Current First Lady Elect (?) was urged, "Jill... kiddo... drop the pretentious "Dr." honorific.  You're gonna be First Lady for pete's sake.  Nobody should be called Dr unless they've delivered a baby" (I paraphrase, but closely, just goin by memory here).  What a condescending jerk.  I don't know if he should be "canceled" or not, but this essay has demonstrated he doesn't have much to say of interest to me.  Buh-bye.

It was even worse, really.  The focus of that rant is that she should be happy enough just calling herself "Mrs Biden."

That whole article smacked of incel/MGTOW.

Weaponized Funk

12/15/2020 7:59 pm  #30

Undertoad wrote:

Luce wrote:

That whole article smacked of incel/MGTOW.

This is sexism // misandry

howso?

Be Just And Fear Not

1/17/2021 10:24 am  #31

MGTOW is crazy talk, separate ourselves from women? The who will explain things to them? 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/17/2021 1:18 pm  #32

And they're sane compared to incels.

4/06/2021 3:08 pm  #33

In my earlier years I used to be very sexist and misogynistic. In recent years I have tried to become more enlightened, but I am still a little unreconstructed. And yes, I think both those terms are very bad traits which we should aim to consign to the history books.

"Nothin' seems that weird anymore"

Lo Fidelity Allstars

Board footera