cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2021 12:20 am  #1

Coin Collecting

Coins and stamps can be an inexpensive and long term hobby but like everything these days the bad guys are lurking.

I was headed to the coin operated car wash to blow some mud off so I grabbed a handful of quarters. I remembered something I read recently about quarters with a W mint mark are worth $30 so I went through them and no W, but I gat curious as to what that was about so asked Google to find out. Turns out the W stands for West Point which doesn't normally mint mark but did a few just to amuse and amaze.

Anyway on the front Google result page they usually throw in some pictures. One of the pictures was an ad for a 1967 Quarter for $30,000. WTF? Hey I have a '67 and a '68 in this handful of quarters.
Sure, it's click bait but I'm curious, they got me.

It's an etsy seller, who says it's rare! Ho hum. Says no mint mark! Yeah yeah, Philly didn't mint mark, Denver and San Francisco did. Says there's an error! What, where, I don't see no stinkin' error. I messaged them but never got and answer. This is three years after the last silver quarters, it's not in great shape, free shipping isn't a great incentive on a $30,000 purchase, and it's not going to fool anyone into grabbing it without investigating at that price.
I guess simply clickbait to get people to the site... heh heh, it worked. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/11/2021 11:02 am  #2

Re: Coin Collecting

A mint condition 1967 quarter can be worth several thousand (though nowhere near $30K.) One that has been circulated is worth exactly 25 cents.

Sorry, meant to include the link: https://www.coleccionistasdemonedas.com/en/valuable-coins-to-collect/1967-quarters-rare-errors-prices/

Last edited by Clodfobble (4/11/2021 11:02 am)

4/13/2021 12:28 pm  #3

Clodfobble wrote:

A mint condition 1967 quarter can be worth several thousand (though nowhere near $30K.) One that has been circulated is worth exactly 25 cents.

Sorry, meant to include the link: https://www.coleccionistasdemonedas.com/en/valuable-coins-to-collect/1967-quarters-rare-errors-prices/

Maybe your math is off. If a single coin is worth $30K and is in 20 people's carts then it is actually worth either $600K or maybe $1,500. Or maybe .25. I'm bad with numbers.

Hey! That's me up there!

4/14/2021 1:44 am  #4

The article at the link was written by a Spaniard, you know Hitler's buddies, obviously trying to devalue our supremely magnificent George Washington Quarters to the level of common currency. USA! USA!

There were a number of sites claiming '67 quarters worth more than possible but the $30,000 claim was too tempting to pass up, especially knowing I had one in my pocket. Not being a coin collector anything is possible, everytime I hear one of these stories about somebody discovering they have something they had no idea was valuable I wonder who, or how many, had it before them and let it go not knowing. But when I saw the picture I was sure it was clickbait.
Then I had to backtrack to find out about the W mint mark.

4/14/2021 8:25 am  #5

That quarter worked fine as currency for over 50 years.  Fools still think a $1 and $5 bill should be paper.  An average $1 lasts 14 months.  So we are spending $1billion annually making pathetic paper dollar bills.

The average coin (used throughout the world for a $1 or $5 equivalent) lasts over 20 years.  But that means America must have moderates in Congress.  Will not happen.  So many are so dumb as to even believe the election was stolen.  Get them to vote for moderates is almost impossible.

Maybe we should put Trump on quarters just to remember how dumb we were 50 years later.

4/14/2021 9:33 am  #6

I can only remember paying the barber with currency in the past year.  I vaguely remember being relieved to have a 5 dollar bill recently to pay for something, but I can't remember what it would have been.

4/14/2021 12:01 pm  #7

All plastic or checks, too?
Does shoplifting count?

4/14/2021 2:35 pm  #8

Undertoad wrote:

I just realized that the only thing I've used any currency for in the last 12 months is weed.

Drug dealers still do not use bitcoin?

How do they stay in business?

Last edited by tw (4/14/2021 2:36 pm)

4/14/2021 9:47 pm  #9

Undertoad wrote:

I just realized that the only thing I've used any currency for in the last 12 months is weed.

riiight.
no gas stations.

that.  plus hardware stores. and grocery stores. and personal debts.  like print, the death of cash has been somewhat prematurely exaggerated.

good on ya tho.

Be Just And Fear Not

4/15/2021 6:39 am  #10

If Lupos Char Pit wasn't cash only I could maybe get out of cash. Your weed man doesn't Venmo?

https://www.facebook.com/luposcharpit/

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/15/2021 9:52 am  #11

"The Original"

So ya don't get it confused with all those other Lupo's Char Pit restaurants...

4/15/2021 10:03 am  #12

We actually have a pretty robust paper money exchange going on inside our house--the kids get $1 for doing their laundry, which builds up in their little banks until it's at $10 or $20 or something else exchangeable, largely so we can get our stash of $1 bills back. Then at some point they give us back the $10 or $20 and we add funds to their Steam accounts through our credit cards (or, rarely, purchase something for them on Amazon, etc.)

Pre-pandemic I'd always handle some amount of cash in the used uniform sale I run for the school, but this past year they said cards only for sanitation. It would be funny if, after all the dumb "how will COVID change us" predictions like "we'll never shake hands again" (which we definitely will,) the one lasting change was accelerating the end of paper money.

4/15/2021 9:29 pm  #13

Gravdigr wrote:

"The Original"

So ya don't get it confused with all those other Lupo's Char Pit restaurants...

There's another in Binghamton but I think the Original goes back to a local Italian family feud over the providence of the Speidie sandwich. Lupo vs Salamida. Salamida is bigger Lupo is better and word on the street is first.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/21/2021 9:05 pm  #14

I was looking for some paperwork from 32 years ago in one of the safes and found some coins I'd forgotten. Zip lock bags of DE, CT, PA, NJ and GA quarters, bicentennial quarters and halves, Sacagawea dollar coins and presidents dollar coins. I didn't know how to spell Sacagawea and it's not on the coin, so googled it and those click bait clowns from before showed up with $45,000, $47,000, & $50,000 ultra rare Sacagawea 2000 coins for sale.
But I digress.
The strange thing is a bag with a 1964 quarter, 1964 JFK half, and a 1944 Mexican Peso. Damifino?

4/22/2021 4:54 am  #15

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

... in one of the safes ...

And he thinks the strange thing is random coins in a bag

Living life on the edge.

4/22/2021 6:57 am  #16

Well, the bags are draw-string monkey scrotums, so...

4/22/2021 2:48 pm  #17

This is the content I come for.

4/22/2021 6:12 pm  #18

Brown chicken brown cow!

Be Just And Fear Not

4/24/2021 6:52 am  #19

Limey wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

... in one of the safes ...

And he thinks the strange thing is random coins in a bag  

Well you don't keep paperwork in the same safe as long guns, and usually coins would go in the small safe rather than the big one.

And they don't make zip-loc monkey scrotums that I know of.

Board footera