cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2021 7:58 pm  #1

Europe seeks to limit use of AI in society

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56745730

The use of facial recognition for surveillance, or algorithms that manipulate human behaviour, will be banned under proposed EU regulations on artificial intelligence.The wide-ranging proposals, which were leaked ahead of their official publication, also promised tough new rules for what they deem high-risk AI.That includes algorithms used by the police and in recruitment.Experts said the rules were vague and contained loopholes.The use of AI in the military is exempt, as are systems used by authorities in order to safeguard public security.The suggested list of banned AI systems includes:

• those designed or used in a manner that manipulates human behaviour, opinions or decisions ...causing a person to behave, form an opinion or take a decision to their detriment
  • AI systems used for indiscriminate surveillance applied in a generalised manner
  • AI systems used for social scoring
  • those that exploit information or predictions and a person or group of persons in order to target their vulnerabilities

I think it's good that Europe is leading the way here. The UK has become a surveillance society already, how's it like in the States? I imagine Russia  and China are embracing all this spy technology as well.

"Nothin' seems that weird anymore"

Lo Fidelity Allstars

5/03/2021 6:14 am  #2

Re: Europe seeks to limit use of AI in society

I'd say we are increasingly under surveillance.  It is still a hodgepodge of public/private cameras most places though.

I'm glad the EU is working on this, I doubt our commitment to democratic values in the States. Biden is talking a good game about protecting democracy presenting a generational challenge, but we're still one election from a totalitarian takeover. I'd suggest if they get the reins again Jan 6th looks like a practice run.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/03/2021 2:53 pm  #3

Funny story about "practice run" --there was this group of extremists who once tried to take over their country's government by bringing in a huge machine gun and holding them hostage, then they all got shot, arrested, or else fled the country, and then their leader wrote a book while he was in jail, got out, got elected, and formed a government of all his "practice run" buddies (who were now huge folk heroes), and they went down pretty big in history.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

5/03/2021 3:42 pm  #4

Interestingly, some of these "Patriots" have more than a passing familiarity with the above mentioned's work.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/04/2021 10:16 pm  #5

The government and law enforcement are exempt from the facial recognition, plus they know where you are from your phone, EZ pass, and licence plate readers. They can keep track of you through OnStar, entertainment subscriptions, and all the other trackable features. They know where your money comes from and where you spend it from electronic records since you don't use cash. They have more on you than they know what to do with... unless they have reason.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera