cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2021 11:29 pm  #1

Citizenship

I saw this toy... well not even a real toy but creation of Obvious Plant.

It works because the accusation he contributes absolutely nothing to society rings true.
It's not something they made up, I've heard and read it thrown around many times over the years.
There is no footnote on my birth certificate, and I don't remember signing a contract or even giving an oral promise to contribute to society. Where does this obligation come from? It's certainly not legally binding, is it?
Even so it's a pretty effective damnation of someone and it's implication understood by all. The tongue clucking and head nodding confirm that. Does it come automatically conferred with the social structure of citizenship?

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/18/2021 9:33 pm  #2

Re: Citizenship

Citizenship does good stuff...

4/19/2021 8:53 am  #3

It's never just about the money to put the thing where we think it should be.

As sensible as portable washing stations might sound, she says, it will be important to understand why a clinic hasn’t already deployed them. Is it too costly to keep them stocked with soap and water? Is no one held accountable for maintaining them? Do staff and patients consider them a lower priority than other clinic amenities?“There is a reason that things are the way they are,” Davis says.

4/19/2021 9:29 am  #4

Undertoad wrote:

J wanted really badly to buy a tent for a homeless woman she found. I did not explain to her the horrible catch-22: if the woman had a tent, in Norristown PA, she would be assaulted. Where there is no rule of law, the valuable stuff goes to the person willing to do the most violence for it.

That sounds both likely as hell and as a catastrophic failure of our system.

Weaponized Funk

4/19/2021 8:57 pm  #5

Clodfobble wrote:

It's never just about the money to put the thing where we think it should be

She explains why the pumps don't get fixed but not why they get broken. I've seen 50 year old pumps that still work 

4/20/2021 11:30 am  #6

Undertoad wrote:

Luce wrote:

Undertoad wrote:

J wanted really badly to buy a tent for a homeless woman she found. I did not explain to her the horrible catch-22: if the woman had a tent, in Norristown PA, she would be assaulted. Where there is no rule of law, the valuable stuff goes to the person willing to do the most violence for it.

That sounds both likely as hell and as a catastrophic failure of our system.

Not just our system, this happens in every nation where there is any lack of rule of law. But I wrote it as a local explanation for the bigger Africa catch-22. When you give free stuff to corrupt governments, they control it to maintain their own power, and people suffer and die as a result.

To the powerless, rule of law may be just as important as charity.

Yes, that has always been the - correct, in my opinion -  reasoning that the rule of law is better than the rule of men.

Weaponized Funk

4/21/2021 12:31 am  #7

My friend had her test/interview today to become an American citizen.

and passed.

She's lived here almost all her life, has an American husband and two American Adult sons.  She is Canadian.  But her French mother drummed into her that being American was bad... and it stuck.  So every 10 years she renewed her green card....  at a greater cost than becoming aMerkin. Trump's admin scared her into finally taking the plunge.  So there's that to be said for that nightmare......  ;)    

......but between you and me... she's worked her arse off for her American family.  Her sons who were born here and have an American dad.... and are kinda lazy unwashed and do nothing... and her husband is not, but is an (amazing) artist and sorta doesn't do much around the house.....like anything... and when he does he needs it to be so perfect and artistically pleasing it takes forever......  If a blind panel was given anonymous profiles of all of them and asked to judge who is the stuff this country is made of.....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/21/2021 9:08 pm  #8

Her mother was right.

Board footera