cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2020 6:46 am  #1

ADK

Pete and I were looking at real estate up North and decided to get a non-46er hike in because the 46 peaks are being loved to death right now. The trailhead for Scarface was like 7/10ths of a mile from a place we toured.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/19/2020 7:49 am  #2

Re: ADK

Nice!

Living life on the edge.

10/19/2020 12:19 pm  #3

Wow that's pretty

11/30/2020 7:49 am  #4

We looked at a piece of property this weekend, met a potential neighbor and a super sweet doberman, hiked a bit, kept our distance, and celebrated Pete's Day.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/30/2020 7:16 pm  #5

Hate to see you driven from Grifftopia but you an Pete are smart, and know what's best for you.
I'm sure you'll get Benny's approval before making a decision. LoL He'd happily follow you to the ends of the earth.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/30/2020 7:23 pm  #6

It's a touchy subject but in our retirement we want to be in the right place. I'm beginning to to talk to family about it.

4/19/2021 6:09 am  #7

Camped at the new place this weekend. As rugged and beautiful a property as we remembered.

4/19/2021 6:15 am  #8

Built a picnic table on top of the hill. Carrying lumber was a bugger since all the old logging trails are covered in falls and brush.

4/19/2021 6:23 am  #9

A few more images...

4/19/2021 6:33 am  #10

4/19/2021 7:57 am  #11

I love seeing picnic table designs.  And yours look good.  Looks like only the legs in contact with the ground are treated.  Some of the bracing is interesting.  What are those small pieces next to the lower bolt holes on the legs?  They must do something.  Actually, thinking about it, those must be there so you don't rip your skin on the bolts when you sit carelessly at the table wearing shorts. That's a nice detail.  I haven't seen that before.  You pre-cut everything before hiking the lumber up there?

Yesterday I spent a bit of the afternoon scraping and priming a picnic table I built 20 years ago, so I've recently been closely examining picnic table design.

Nice new place you have there

4/19/2021 3:31 pm  #12

You sorted it out. I did all the cuts at home and did the drilling, bolting and screwing up there. I thought the minimal treated and leg savers were nice touches. I looked through a few free on-line versions before picking that one. 20 years is a good run for a picnic stable, stored inside?

4/20/2021 7:09 am  #13

the 20 year one has been outside the whole time but made 100% out of the old pressure treated formulation.  So the paint is actually pretty important as a barrier for your skin, and we usually put a table cloth on it if we are using it.

Truth is, we don't use it much.  It's more pleasant to sit in a lawn chair with a plate on your lap, unless it's a more formal meal, and then we are more likely to be inside.  It's nice to look at though.

4/21/2021 9:24 pm  #14

My Dad made a picnic table, (grudgingly because it would draw relatives) and didn't want it to rot so painted it real good... with creosote. LoL  Took 5 years for the smell to go away.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/22/2021 4:51 am  #15

My grandfather used to weatherproof his garden fences with sump oil from his car. Summers in his garden had a very specific fragrance.

Living life on the edge.

4/22/2021 5:48 am  #16

Old guys around here would soak their black locust fence posts in used motor oil. Those posts are probably still standing.

4/22/2021 6:32 am  #17

A couple more happy place shots:

4/22/2021 10:48 am  #18

You've got a glacial erratic!  I am jealous.

4/22/2021 12:54 pm  #19

Dammit, I knew that and thought about it when I saw that pic!

But couldn't think of the phrase.

I'm noticing that part getting worse, the can't-find-the-word part of it...

4/22/2021 2:39 pm  #20

4/22/2021 2:42 pm  #21

I built a larger twin to your table in redwood (this area, you know).  Seats six on a side.
Outdoors but undercover; just needs fastener tightening every couple of years.
My own plans, pretty much without references.  There must be a table design in human DNA.
I used acorn nuts to cover leg-gouging exposed threads.
Boy, that free running river sure looks good to this drought dweller.

4/22/2021 3:33 pm  #22

Yeah, is that river/stream on your land?

4/23/2021 6:52 am  #23

Yeah, it's a short stretch of the Boquet River. The section in the upper left of this pic. It's a long way from our approved site but we can build a lean to down there if we want. Our approved site is the red loop off the road.

You can see they peeled off some funny shaped properties for relatives over the years. Besides our place, there is an approved site for that red thumb extending from the river.

4/23/2021 9:02 am  #24

Wait.  that whole big purple rectangle is yours, minus the cut-outs?  And you can build structures in the red?

4/23/2021 4:59 pm  #25

Yeah, that's right. We can apply for other locations and actually have passed perk tests elsewhere. The area in red actually makes good sense though. The Adirondack Park Agency is the governing authority on this, the town doesn't care what we do. The APA is mostly concerned about run off impacting the river, tree removal, and tall buildings which impact the regional ascetic. They are reportedly pretty easy to deal with right now because Cuomo is more pro-development than previous governors.

Board footera