cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2021 5:01 pm  #26

Re: ADK

We can build leantos elsewhere on the property without any permitting because it's a regional tradition.

Last edited by griff (4/23/2021 5:01 pm)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/23/2021 5:01 pm  #27

Hurry up and build then, before a greenie gets in office.  

That's a really sweet property! Mountaintop and river.

4/23/2021 5:03 pm  #28

lol. We're going to try to be pretty green as well. We like the intent of the regulations.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/24/2021 9:16 am  #29

Put up a lean-to and a lean-fro then you're sheltered.

"The Adirondacks – the product of this lengthy process – are a unique mountain range. They are not part of the Catskills or Appalachian Mountains. They are new mountains, although made of old rocks, and are still growing, faster than erosion is wearing the surface away"
I thought Adirondacks, Catskills, and Appalachians were just names of sections of the same mountains.

Keep in mind you're idea of pretty green and the authority's version may be miles apart. Crossing that bridge when you come to it may be unpossible. At least settle on a plan, put it on paper, stakes and strings, anything you can do to show you've started which could grandfather you if the rules change.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (4/24/2021 9:23 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/29/2021 6:31 pm  #30

6/29/2021 7:18 pm  #31

ahhhhhhhhhhh

Be Just And Fear Not

6/29/2021 8:15 pm  #32

I miss my river.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

6/29/2021 10:04 pm  #33

TheNeverWas wrote:

I miss my river.

what needs to happen to get your car that can get there fixed?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/29/2021 11:05 pm  #34

GrandCherokeeOne needs a front left fender, grille, grille support, both headlights, both headlight buckets, parking light/turn signals, bumper cover actual bumper behind that, the energy-absorbing material between the two, and a fan clutch.  It runs fine, but with the fan not functioning quite like it should, it overheats.

And it needs to be owned by someone with more gumption than I currently possess.  It's really only a couple hundred dollars' worth of parts and pieces.

I could drive to the gate and walk down there.  Right at a mile from the gate, though...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

6/29/2021 11:06 pm  #35

No ReCaptcha that time.  WTF?!  Yall just letting anybody post now?

ETA:  Ah, here it is on the edit.

6/30/2021 5:52 am  #36

You'll stop getting that at all after a few posts.

You hit a deer?

Last edited by griff (6/30/2021 5:54 am)

6/30/2021 2:51 pm  #37

Yes sir I did.  A couple Februaries ago.

Center punched that doe but good.  She flew like a frisbee.

6/30/2021 5:10 pm  #38

perhaps.....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/30/2021 7:55 pm  #39

6/30/2021 10:09 pm  #40

[In order to prove that you are not a clove of garlic, please click on all images which contain traffic lights or penguins]

7/16/2021 9:39 am  #41

When we were looking for our ADK property one of our hopes was to find a place where common sense > politics.

I just looked at vaccination rates. My current residence is in Susquehanna County, PA which sits at 34% with at least one dose. Our ADK property is in Essex County, NY which sits at 60.9% with at least one dose, common sense. The North Country went narrowly for Trump and Essex County went narrowly for Biden, balance. Susco is exclusive Trump habitat.

7/16/2021 3:49 pm  #42

60.9% is pretty good for a rural area.

7/16/2021 4:13 pm  #43

I wonder if that's any  indicator of a healthy body politic? Their current Rep in the House is the woman who displaced Cheney as Conference Chair by kissing Trumps ring, but her voting record is more moderate than Cheney's.

It could be the economic pressure of needing to work with a lot of tourists and seasonal home-owners with different expectations has forced folks to be responsible? Hard to read the smoke signals but at least they are ballpark herd immune.

7/17/2021 7:13 am  #44

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2021/07/john-brown-farm-and-new-yorks-voter-suppression-history.html?fbclid=IwAR2xNWJ9J4TQJNQbGCmhE3THKaY9S9eDKH7psSxk72OaOsApsJaukSMNVog

Here’s where John Brown Farm comes in.  Supporters of black voting rights tried for years to eliminate this discrimination.  They managed to force a statewide vote on the issue in 1846, but lost overwhelmingly, winning only 30% of the vote.  Interestingly, here in the Adirondacks, the vote was the exact opposite.  Essex County was 71% in favor of black voting rights, and Clinton County 73%.  Other northern and western counties were also positive.

8/16/2021 6:16 am  #45

We were on Upper Saranac Lake with the girls this week. It was so beautiful, it was almost exhausting.

8/16/2021 11:54 am  #46

Wow!

That is a really nice coffee cup.  I love it.  Insulated I hope?  Titanium doesn't conduct heat very well, but those handles also don't look super comfortable.

I mean, you wouldn't want to scald yourself in paradise, right?

Be Just And Fear Not

8/16/2021 3:22 pm  #47

Hell, I thought it was a tall 60 year old tin cup...

That dock looks like it's missing a NeverWas.  I'd'a put my chair right there on the end and never moved.  Except when the cooler ran dry.

Or the bag.

8/16/2021 3:50 pm  #48

I guessed right, I guess.  Probably one of these:
https://www.snowpeak.com/products/titanium-french-press-cs-111

I have some titanium camp gear, it is... distinctive.  He's obviously never set that one directly on the coals though.  It makes the cup pretty hot.  Pretty and hot.

Be Just And Fear Not

8/16/2021 4:20 pm  #49

I went to look for my titanium sierra cup, not found.  It's not Snow Peak, it's an REI model I think.  It works, but... you can melt iron in it before it will fail and use that hot cup to brand your lips permanently.  It actually doesn't take liquid iron to do the trick, liquid water will make the cup just as dangerous.  Those little ear-handles are not a cosmetic embellishment.  

I did find my Snow Peak cookset, here's what sittin right on the fire does to it, cosmetically:

Be Just And Fear Not

8/16/2021 4:35 pm  #50

Yeah a titanium birthday present. Hot to the touch.

Board footera