cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2021 10:12 pm  #1

Amazon

An acquaintance of mine works in an Amazon warehouse. Today, he told me about "Hydration Day"... the monthly treat where workers are given bottled water during their shift. He said management really hypes it up, too, like "Don't forget next Tuesday is Hydration Day!"

I mean, honestly, how are fictional dystopias supposed to compete? If I wrote that up, my editor would assume it was satire. Obviously working in a warehouse isn't meant to be a picnic, but come on--free water, one day a month? It's like they're seeking bad PR. They'd be better off giving them nothing.

4/24/2021 6:13 am  #2

Re: Amazon

Good Lord. They have a choice create an amazing future or hydration day.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/24/2021 7:03 am  #3

It's a good idea, make sure they experience the pleasure of cold water while working, and they'll want to repeat that so buy high cost water from the company store.
The troublemakers identified during the month since the last hydration day can be fired for excess bathroom breaks.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/24/2021 8:50 am  #4

I read this recently

One Day at Amazon: In the Belly of the Beautiful Beast

which makes me think this is probably some cheap "incentive" to make people work faster dreamed up by some whippersnapper too young and too intent on a fast trip up the business career ladder to have read 1984 etc. and appreciate the true horror of this concept

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/24/2021 12:11 pm  #5

Paying attention to hydration is one of the best and cheapest ways to good health. 
Once a month doesn't do it.
Amazon worries about time lost to bathroom breaks and union rules.

4/25/2021 9:18 am  #6

...free water...

Those.  Evil.  Bastidges.

4/25/2021 12:57 pm  #7

I once crawled in the back of our minivan and peed in a giant soft drink cup because we were stuck in a non-moving traffic jam in the middle of nowhere for upwards of 3 hours, and the only other option was going on the side of the road in front of all the other stopped cars. If there'd been a gas station or anything else visible from the road I could have walked there and back and never missed a thing, but we were trapped.

4/26/2021 8:58 am  #8

Good times.

4/26/2021 9:14 am  #9

Clodfobble wrote:

An acquaintance of mine works in an Amazon warehouse. Today, he told me about "Hydration Day"... the monthly treat where workers are given bottled water during their shift. He said management really hypes it up, too, like "Don't forget next Tuesday is Hydration Day!"

I mean, honestly, how are fictional dystopias supposed to compete? If I wrote that up, my editor would assume it was satire. Obviously working in a warehouse isn't meant to be a picnic, but come on--free water, one day a month? It's like they're seeking bad PR. They'd be better off giving them nothing.

And on Friday, there's oxygen for everyone and Dominoes Pizza in the breakroom.

Oh, wait.  No break room.  Never mind, everyone back on your heads.

Weaponized Funk

4/26/2021 9:16 am  #10

Undertoad wrote:

It was recently shown that some Amazon delivery drivers pee in bottles

The women said, how horrible it is that they have to pee in bottles to make their numbers! Amazon is foul! I will share this story about this terrible scandal

The men said, hell yeah if I drove a cargo van all day I would pee in a bottle

Yeah, I was pretty sure that sweatshops were gonna come back.

Weaponized Funk

4/26/2021 9:17 am  #11

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Paying attention to hydration is one of the best and cheapest ways to good health. 
Once a month doesn't do it.
Amazon worries about time lost to bathroom breaks and union rules.

Amazon would be better off worrying about turn over.

Weaponized Funk

4/26/2021 3:47 pm  #12

lol. Where they gonna work?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/26/2021 4:23 pm  #13

90s Management: pizza party on Friday!

2020s Management:

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

4/26/2021 10:46 pm  #14

Luce wrote:

Clodfobble wrote:

And on Friday, there's oxygen for everyone and Dominoes Pizza in the breakroom.

Oh, wait.  No break room.  Never mind, everyone back on your heads.

"back on your heads"

comedy fucking GOLD!

Be Just And Fear Not

4/27/2021 10:29 am  #15

Luce wrote:

Amazon would be better off worrying about turn over.

They've already decided they don't care. The job is so automated that new workers in their fulfillment centers can be fully trained and operational in just 2-3 hours, and so many people quit on their first day when they realize what a physical job it is, they figure they'll just hire literally anyone and let the quitters sort themselves out.

It's actually kind of nice for folks who can do basic work but struggle to get past the standard HR interview process at other places, where you get judged on social cues as much as on your skill level. I know a kid with a repulsive skin condition and bad speech impediment who kept getting weeded out at the interview stage for job after job; Amazon's computer took his online application and instantly gave him a date to come take his badge photo and start working. (Whether he'll be one of the ones who quits is another story, but at least Amazon gave him a shot to prove himself. I don't think their way of doing business is evil, necessarily, just tone-deaf when it comes to outward appearances.)

4/27/2021 10:59 am  #16

They opened a huge facility here in Tucson, and pay $3 more than minimum wage.

They can't keep people.  Why?  You have to basically humiliate yourself to get to go to the bathroom.  It makes WalMart look like the employer of the year.

Weaponized Funk

4/27/2021 8:07 pm  #17

I wonder how much of that is first line managers trying to make themselves look good by whuppin the slaves harder?
Or is it pressure from higher up forcing them to whup harder?

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/28/2021 8:55 am  #18

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

I wonder how much of that is first line managers trying to make themselves look good by whuppin the slaves harder?
Or is it pressure from higher up forcing them to whup harder?

Seems to be a matter of policy, but I don't know for certain.

Weaponized Funk

4/28/2021 6:21 pm  #19

A company that has a whuppin policy probaby applies that policy up and down the chain, with different whips, so to speak.

Anti-motivational to me.

Be Just And Fear Not

Board footera