cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2021 9:13 am  #1

Things I had nothing to do with.

Part 1: 

https://apnews.com/article/world-news-indonesia-bali-singapore-e18393645e7383450c6b293e03fbe773

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — Indonesia’s navy is searching for a submarine that went missing north of the resort island of Bali with 53 people on board, the military said Wednesday.Military chief Hadi Tjahjanto said the KRI Nanggala 402 was participating in a training exercise when it missed a scheduled reporting call.The submarine is believed to have disappeared in waters about 60 miles (95 kilometers) north of Bali, he said.

Weaponized Funk

4/21/2021 1:18 pm  #2

Re: Things I had nothing to do with.

The words "Indonesian Navy" do not inspire confidence...I'm sure it's a fine organization.

4/21/2021 1:50 pm  #3

Gravdigr wrote:

The words "Indonesian Navy" do not inspire confidence...I'm sure it's a fine organization.

This sort of thing has happened to us, and relatively recently.  The Thresher is a good example.

Weaponized Funk

4/21/2021 3:34 pm  #4

I was in the 1st grade when the Thresher went down.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

4/21/2021 4:48 pm  #5

I had nothing to do with the Thresher going down.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/21/2021 8:20 pm  #6

I had nothing to do with them defecting to China. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/22/2021 7:31 am  #7

I recently read that it's been over 50 yrs since a US sub loss.

Can't find where I read that.

4/22/2021 5:57 pm  #8

The USS Thresher has never been decommissioned.  They are on eternal patrol.  The tragedy of the Thresher has led to the SUBSAFE program, a very prominent program at my place of employment.  I've seen numerous signs "Verbatim Compliance" reminding all in the vicinity of the importance of adherence to quality standards.

Be Just And Fear Not

4/26/2021 6:30 pm  #9

Apparently the Indonesian submarine was forty years old. It dived down to 850 metres, when it was only designed to withstand the pressure of 500 metres.

"Nothin' seems that weird anymore"

Lo Fidelity Allstars

4/27/2021 5:54 am  #10

Suicide by leadership? We just got through 4 years of that. Sailors deserve better.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/27/2021 7:07 pm  #11

I wonder if it dove to 850 meters or sank to 850 meters?

4/28/2021 4:27 am  #12

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/23/indonesian-submarine-missing-search-rescuers-unidentified-object-found-indonesia-navy-kri-nanggala-402

The Indonesian navy believes the submarine sank to a depth of 600-700m (2,000-2,300ft) – three times greater than the depth at which pressure would begin to crush the vessel. Ahn Guk-hyeon, an official from South Korea’s Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering, which refitted the vessel in 2009-2012, said the submarine would collapse if it goes deeper than around 200m. He said his company upgraded much of the submarine’s internal structures and systems but lacked recent information about the vessel. Frank Owen, secretary of the Submarine Institute of Australia, also said the submarine could be at too great a depth for a rescue team to operate. “Most rescue systems are really only rated to about 600m (1,970 feet),” he said. “They can go deeper than that because they will have a safety margin built into the design, but the pumps and other systems that are associated with that may not have the capacity to operate. So they can survive at that depth, but not necessarily operate.” Owen, a former submariner who developed an Australian submarine rescue system, said the Indonesian vessel was not fitted with a rescue seat around an escape hatch designed for underwater rescues. He said a rescue submarine would make a waterproof connection to a disabled submarine with a so-called skirt fitted over the rescue seat so that the hatch can be opened without the stricken vessel filling with water. Owen said the submarine could be recovered from 500m without any damage but could not say if it would have imploded at 700m.

"Nothin' seems that weird anymore"

Lo Fidelity Allstars

4/28/2021 8:47 am  #13

Peoploid wrote:

Apparently the Indonesian submarine was forty years old. It dived down to 850 metres, when it was only designed to withstand the pressure of 500 metres.

Sounds sorta similar to the Thresher.  Valves freeze, down you go.

Weaponized Funk

4/28/2021 11:34 am  #14

Airplanes serve good purposes,even though they are used for war.  Big time, unfortunately.
Ships do, too.
I don't think submarines do.

4/28/2021 11:42 am  #15

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Airplanes serve good purposes,even though they are used for war.  Big time, unfortunately.
Ships do, too.
I don't think submarines do.

Exploration submarines are not uncommon.

Weaponized Funk

4/28/2021 4:55 pm  #16

and cocaine submarines...

4/29/2021 8:57 am  #17

griff wrote:

and cocaine submarines...

I was so very disappointed by how that Ecuador raid went.

You have a secret submarine base in the jungle, you don't send a bag of DEA and local infantry.  You send either a guy in a tuxedo with a ridiculous little German pistol OR you send a guy in a bomber jacket with a Thompson submachine gun.

There are rules to this sort of thing.

Weaponized Funk

4/29/2021 9:26 pm  #18

Or send drones to vaporize it.

4/30/2021 6:52 am  #19

Nobody would pay to watch that.  Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner seems like a better choice.

4/30/2021 10:31 am  #20

griff wrote:

Nobody would pay to watch that.  Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner seems like a better choice.

What I'm saying.

"How will it look in the movie."

Weaponized Funk

Board footera