cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2021 12:00 pm  #1

"Go to new posts"

I really like that feature when perusing the Cellar as I do every morning.
It does not always appear, however and I have not been able to discover why.

4/29/2021 5:48 pm  #2

Re: "Go to new posts"

Do you mean "Go to new posts" under the individual title threads, or the "Show new: posts, active threads" links in the upper right?

4/29/2021 6:51 pm  #3

Individual threads showing all the postssince (I guess) I was there last.

4/29/2021 7:26 pm  #4

The system determines what's "new" based on the last timestamp you were here, rather than whether you personally have opened a thread. So if you drop in briefly and then have to close the window before you're completely caught up, it will think you've read everything and reset all the "new posts" markers.

4/30/2021 8:34 am  #5

Nice explanation.  I was trying to figure out how to say the same thing without writing a novel.

4/30/2021 6:24 pm  #6

I miss that behavior of cellar.org as well.  it's how I moved through the threads.  the adaptation I've made now is to logout when I'm leaving the computer or when I'm done viewing.  that still doesn't provide the same interaction though, because all threads that had been updated when I was logged in, even if I'd not yet opened them will be misidentified as having been read when I do return to them.

I've also been paying much closer attention to the datestamp on the most recent post in a given thread and if it's within the timeframe of my last visit, within  a couple days, I click on it and wind backwards to find where I'd left off.  It's *not* optimal.

Be Just And Fear Not

4/30/2021 6:34 pm  #7

There is a solution--
I click on Index, then scroll to the bottom of the page, and click Show recent: active topics
Not "new" just "recent" --it actually errs on the side of still highlighting things that I have actually read.

And things that it doesn't highlight, for whatever reason, don't disappear. They're still "recent" and still listed.

Last edited by Flint (4/30/2021 6:35 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

4/30/2021 7:12 pm  #8

Ooh, that is an excellent tip!

5/01/2021 7:17 am  #9

*BOOM*

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/01/2021 10:58 am  #10

Flint wrote:

There is a solution--
I click on Index, then scroll to the bottom of the page, and click Show recent: active topics
Not "new" just "recent" --it actually errs on the side of still highlighting things that I have actually read.

And things that it doesn't highlight, for whatever reason, don't disappear. They're still "recent" and still listed.

I do the same thing from the top of the page.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

5/02/2021 11:22 am  #11

Flint wrote:

There is a solution--

I love this tip!

Thank you Flint!

Be Just And Fear Not

5/02/2021 3:43 pm  #12

yep yep that's how to do this site   

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

5/30/2021 9:03 am  #13

Flint wrote:

There is a solution--

Flint you are my hero <3

I accidentally clicked "mark all as read"  instead of "active topics" at the top of the page as I groggily peeped at the cellar using my phone this morning, pre contact lens insertion and brain and fingers establishing connection

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

Board footera