cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2021 7:03 am  #1

The Gun Thread

I'm a gun owner living in a gun owning society. My weapons are pretty old fashioned and I'll probably be getting rid of a couple and only keeping those of sentimental and home defense value. I've always been fascinated by them probably from growing up in a house with a Marine and all those Westerns. I grew up around people who kept their long guns in glass cabinets or open racks for easy access. Dad would take us target shooting every now and then. Rounds were scarce, I don't remember ever shooting more than a couple boxes at a time.

I personally had a great weekend, I got a bunch of little jobs done and squeezed in two long rides anticipating a greybeard mountain biking trip coming up. Pete planted the garden and my fully vaccinated MiL dropped in. One thing disturbed our vibe. For 4 hours on Sunday my neighbor was shooting all manner of weapons of dubious legality. The folks whose uninsured son wrecked in my Dad's yard, probably burned through high hundreds of dollars in ammo. I dropped this guy from bacefook due to his paranoid nonsense and it seems like he is still wound up.

Good guy with a gun? Probably not protecting his fellow citizens by saving the day in the grocery store with a 50 caliber rifle (legal in PA). I've been known to jump to wild conclusions but it seems like this guy is prepping for Jan 6th part 2.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/03/2021 11:18 am  #2

Re: The Gun Thread

Neighbors shooting guns makes me want to go over and tell them to shove them, but common sense prevails.
I'll just save my ammo.  

5/03/2021 1:43 pm  #3

griff wrote:

...of dubious legality...

How could ya tell?  Were they full auto or something?

5/03/2021 3:39 pm  #4

Gravdigr wrote:

griff wrote:

...of dubious legality...

How could ya tell?  Were they full auto or something?

Yeah the rapidity of fire seemed out of line. One of my buddies that shoots says some shooters have triggers that fire on the pull and again on the release so it's possible that the rate of fire was doable. Previously I've heard what might have been a bump stock with really sporadic high rates of fire. All speculation on my part as this is not a rabbit hole I want to go down. I'm just going to leave the fucker alone because weapons, loose screws, and nosy neighbors are not a great mix.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/04/2021 10:45 pm  #5

For a semi-auto there is also Hellfire, clamps to the trigger guard and the spring puts pressure on the trigger which in effect nulls the trigger pull weight. So when you fire just the motion of the gun and your finger resting lightly on the trigger will make it work like an automatic.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

5/05/2021 11:32 am  #6

Full automatic should be called fool auto.
Semi-auto is almost always a better choice. 
I did like the idea of having two M60 machine guns in my platoon, but even with them full auto could be counterproductive.
Using M16s on full auto hugely increased their propensity to jam.
Limiting current infantry rifles to two or three round bursts is a great idea.

5/05/2021 12:46 pm  #7

When hunting civilians, shotgun is just fine.  Many rounds so that some will always find the target.

5/14/2021 3:42 pm  #8

Shotguns can be fun, I've got a bunch of interesting shells, flechettes, 3 or 4 hundred feet of flame, penetrate a car door and set the interior ablaze, multiple combinations of pellets, balls, and slugs. Dozens of gimicky creations marketed, nothing you'd buy a lot of, just for shits and giggles.

5/14/2021 10:02 pm  #9

5/19/2021 5:29 pm  #10

https://apnews.com/article/id-state-wire-shootings-7df127c738eca9d007752288baf132bbRIGBY, Idaho (AP) — When a student opened fire at an Idaho middle school, teacher Krista Gneiting directed children to safety, rushed to help a wounded victim and then calmly disarmed the sixth-grade shooter, hugging and consoling the girl until police arrived.

5/19/2021 5:46 pm  #11

Page not found.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

5/19/2021 6:04 pm  #12

fargon wrote:

Page not found.

Paige is over here.

5/19/2021 6:48 pm  #13

fargon wrote:

Page not found.

try this one.

Be Just And Fear Not

5/19/2021 9:03 pm  #14

The teacher is a hero.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

5/20/2021 12:08 pm  #15

tw wrote:

Paige is over here.

Paige smells funny.

She must have turned.

5/21/2021 2:10 pm  #16

Gravdigr wrote:

tw wrote:

Paige is over here.

Paige smells funny.

She must have turned.

chuckle

8/14/2021 5:34 pm  #17

I just gave 4 handguns away... along with some ammo... for free.

9/13/2021 12:52 am  #18

Daisy Daisy give me your answer true.
When you pry it from my cold dead hands.

12/12/2021 9:26 am  #19

https://wjactv.com/news/local/two-teens-charged-with-conspiracy-to-commit-terrorism-in-westmont-trespassing-incident
More guns make us safe.JOHNSTOWN, Pa. (WJAC) — Authorities have provided new details about the investigation into the Westmont Hilltop High School trespassing incident, which they are now calling an alleged school shooting plot.Investigators say as a result of subsequent search warrants, a total of five AR-15 style firearms, a rifle, a shotgun and additional ammunition were seized from the home of 16-year-old XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.Police also confirmed that they can prove that XXXXXXXXXX had "access and control to at least two of the weapons at different points in time."Upper Yoder police chief Don Hess stressed to 6 News that the other teenager being charged, 17-year-old XXXXXXXXXX, was not allowed to be on Westmont school property due to a prior threat in which he "threatened to shoot up the school," and was expelled from the district.

12/12/2021 2:58 pm  #20

How realities and myths so diverge.  In the old west, a gun cost about two year's income.  Despite propaganda from movies, most people did not have a gun.   Early wagon trains (of maybe twenty wagons) had maybe three guns among them. These things were rare.  One might hang safely above the mantle of a fireplace like a trophy.

Today we need assault rifles to protect ourselves from anyone who makes us angry.  Because somehow, the old west meant everyone owned plenty of guns.  And fired bullets like they were available for free. Responsibility need not apply.

3/26/2022 8:33 pm  #21

Where the fuck did you get that bullshit from? The people in the west came from the east where every male adult had a gun. Half their subsistence was from hunting plus protecting livestock from predators. Nobody in their right mind would pack their family and everything they owned to head west without a gun. After the Civil War many had pistols as well.

3/27/2022 10:14 am  #22

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Where the fuck did you get that bullshit from? The people in the west came from the east where every male adult had a gun.

Only true when one was educated by TV westerns.

Before the Civil war, all guns were only made in two locations.  Harpers Ferry VA and in MA (I think it was Springfield).  Guns were rare before the Civil War.  A major export from Europe during the Civil war were guns.

A gun, before the Civil war, typically cost about two years income.

Lewis and Clark were attacked by Lakota indians.  Had those Indians stolen those guns and gun powder, then the Indians would have been the most powerful military force throughout the entire west.  Even along the Mississippi River.  Nobody had anywhere near the fire power that Lewis and Clark carried.  Because guns are quite expensive and rare back then.

Replace that profanity with facts.

3/27/2022 2:00 pm  #23

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Where the fuck did you get that bullshit from?

He's made out of it.  Have you not seen ANY of his posts?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/28/2022 8:23 am  #24

An extremist must prove his manliness by insulting others.   The psychology of an adult who still thinks like a child.  Slander has no place in The Cellar.

3/28/2022 3:09 pm  #25

An interesting discussion.
This article helps it along and adds some other food for thought:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2000/11/the-fall-into-guns/306748/

Board footera