cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2021 1:33 pm  #101

Re: Dogs

I was PhotoSafari-ing one day a few years ago, when this dog came running out to chase the car.  I noticed he was keeping up pretty good, so I kinda toyed with him, slowing to let him catch up, then speeding up a little, playing him like ya would a fish on a hook.

This dog, a boxer as it turned out, ran 29 mph for a long way, then slowed and peeled off the chase.  That's when I noticed he had only one hind leg.

5/06/2021 2:33 pm  #102

Gravdigr wrote:

I was PhotoSafari-ing one day a few years ago, when this dog came running out to chase the car.  I noticed he was keeping up pretty good, so I kinda toyed with him, slowing to let him catch up, then speeding up a little, playing him like ya would a fish on a hook.

This dog, a boxer as it turned out, ran 29 mph for a long way, then slowed and peeled off the chase.  That's when I noticed he had only one hind leg.

Well, you wouldn't eat a dog like that all at once, would you?

Weaponized Funk

5/06/2021 6:02 pm  #103

Luce wrote:

Well, you wouldn't eat a dog like that all at once, would you?

5/06/2021 6:04 pm  #104

We're definitely not talking amputation here!!

5/07/2021 7:04 am  #105

This one is getting her shit together. She's following basic commands and holding her bladder better so things are looking up.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/07/2021 12:01 pm  #106

bbro wrote:

We're definitely not talking amputation here!!

And I didn't mean to suggest it.
There are many stories on-line.  Here is one:
https://notesfromadogwalker.com/2013/11/05/canine-acl-tear-non-surgical-option/

5/10/2021 8:54 pm  #107

bbro wrote:

Feeling like a total asshole over here.

You may feel that but you're looking like the messiah to me and the pups, you're a great Mom!

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

5/16/2021 6:09 pm  #108

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

bbro wrote:

Feeling like a total asshole over here.

You may feel that but you're looking like the messiah to me and the pups, you're a great Mom!

Thanks - I'm probably going to be a mess while she's at the vet this week.  They're keeping her overnight.  It'll be interesting to see how Max reacts to going to bed without her.

*Also, not a mom. Thanks

5/17/2021 10:28 am  #109

Uh huh...

5/17/2021 11:02 am  #110

I'm not a Mom, either.

But a lot of people say I'm a real mother sometimes.

5/17/2021 6:30 pm  #111

@Bruce - the point is I don't like it regardless of what everyone seems to want to label me.  I do not want to be called any type of mom.  I am not one and I don't appreciate it when people insist on calling me one.

@Grav - People usually say I'm a bitch ;)

5/17/2021 11:30 pm  #112

OK, I apologize. I thought puppy mom was a title of honor.

5/22/2021 1:51 pm  #113

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

OK, I apologize. I thought puppy mom was a title of honor.

Apology accepted.  To some, I suppose it is.  Not to me, though.

This week has been nuts.  Tess went in on Wednesday for her knee surgery (successful).  Max decided he wasn't going to eat, so he went to the vet on Thursday.  So, I had to pleasure of trying to get two dogs from the car to the apt down stairs when I had to closely monitor the speed/balance of one.  Tess, of course, decided to stop halfway down the stairs.  We sat there for a few minutes, but she was able to continue.  Honestly, I had no idea what I was going to do if I needed to carry her.  Not that I can't lift her, but Max doesn't quite get what's happening.

Extra complications: she hates her crate.  To the point where just being in there with the door open prompts her to struggle to get out, panting, shaking, etc.  It would be more detrimental to force it than not.  I ordered a temporary fence that I can move around the apt, but it won't be here until Wednesday.  I've got her blocked off with the cushions from my chairs, but those aren't very effective if she really wants to get out.  Luckily, she's not really fighting me telling her to lay down....for now.  It will be much more helpful in the future.  I don't think she's going to be out of commission (in her brain) for long.  She already wants to take off when I take her out for potty time.  The vet said they'd never seen a dog as quick to stand up as her when the anesthesia wears off.  

Currently, the worst is night time.  I have to put her in the cone because she WILL lick if I'm not watching.  She does not like it, so she gets up, waddles over banging into every little thing (including Max), and looks at me with tail wagging hoping to get on the bed with me.  So, I have to direct her back to HER bed and lay down.  The problem is she can't turn very well or go backwards, so poor Max has to be displaced so I can make a large circle and get her back to bed.  She must've woken me up 5 times last night/this morning.

Nope, I'm wrong, trying to do PT on her is the worst.  I never know if it's hurting.  I try to take my cues from her, but she's just not into it at all.  It needs to be done though!
I'm actually thinking of trying to get her cut down pretty well while she's all hopped up on sedatives

Her first meal after surgery (the vet couldn't get her to eat while she was there)

Final attempt to stop licking so I don't have to use the cone (and the cutest).  It did not work

The poor dejected other dog causing me problems

5/22/2021 5:44 pm  #114

Aren't there some cannabis based mellowers?
The cycle of stress needs to be interrupted. 

5/25/2021 7:31 pm  #115

Update on the pups:

I've managed to get Max eating by adding some water to his food to soften it up.  He's doing much better all around now.  I think it was a continuation of what the vet said was dehydration making him not feel well, so he didn't eat and drink making him not feel well because he was getting more dehydrated.  I'm going to continue it for a but.  It can't hurt for him to get extra water during a southern summer.

Tess is doing well.  She's being stubborn about eating, too.  I had some chicken and rice in the freezer, so I've been mixing that in with her kibble to get her to eat.  She still doesn't like the cone, but she wears it every night and when I leave the house.  She's getting better with it.  She mainly just lays down and doesn't move much.  I also got a temporary fence I can use to restrict how much she moves around the apt.  It makes her nervous, too, but I only use it when I'm not here.  I think I'll have to use it a lot more the better she gets.  She's already using her leg if she walks slow.  Unfortunately, she always wants to take off so she's doing the three legged hop.  I'm using the harness to keep her better restrained when walking outside.  She's got her two week appt set up next week, so hopefully they can tell me I can stop using the cone  

5/26/2021 12:52 am  #116

I can empathize, it's no fun and she has to be wondering what she did wrong every day.

5/26/2021 6:01 am  #117

We took 2/3 on a Catskill hike last weekend. Good times.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/26/2021 12:17 pm  #118

@Bruce - I make sure to talk nice and not treat it like a punishment, but I don't know if it helps.

@griff - that looks awesome!

5/26/2021 11:47 pm  #119

bbro wrote:

@Bruce - I make sure to talk nice and not treat it like a punishment, but I don't know if it helps.

it will.

I also hate it when people refer to me as mom in regard to my cats (and themselves in regards to their own pets, but I guess that's their choice.....)

...wonder why no-one uses parental titles for people who have cars or other vehicles rather than pets? Those who spend at least as much time and money on them as one might on a pet (or way more) and call them "she"? Anything to do with their sexual reltionship with their inanimate objects? 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

5/27/2021 12:24 am  #120

Why worry about what others do that doesn't affect you. Don't waste time searching for weapons.

5/27/2021 11:02 am  #121

Griff;  Tell us about the backpacks.

5/27/2021 4:49 pm  #122

They are harnesses although Benny's has panniers we can clip on so he can carry his own food and water. Noli's has a pouch for the shit bags.

Last edited by griff (5/27/2021 4:50 pm)

5/27/2021 10:52 pm  #123

5/28/2021 6:35 am  #124

The big influx of new folks to hiking has lead to people not observing the normal toileting courtesies, the beetles will be fine.

https://www.adk.org/five-tips-for-camping-in-the-high-peaks-wilderness/

5/28/2021 11:29 am  #125

Thunderbox? 
When we backpacked in the High Sierras in the 1950's, the hiker load was so light that most creeks were safe to drink from. 
Even 20 years later, cat holes had proven no defense in the shallow soils and e. coli, giardia and more became ubiquitous.  

Board footera