cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2021 11:22 pm  #1

I will die one of these days

"It is sensible of me to be aware that I will die one of these days. I will not pass away. Every day millions of people pass away—in obituaries, death notices, cards of consolation, e-mails to the corpse’s friends—but people don’t die. Sometimes they rest in peace, quit this world, go the way of all flesh, depart, give up the ghost, breathe a last breath, join their dear ones in heaven, meet their Maker, ascend to a better place, succumb surrounded by family, return to the Lord, go home, cross over, or leave this world. Whatever the fatuous phrase, death usually happens peacefully (asleep) or after a courageous struggle (cancer). Sometimes women lose their husbands. (Where the hell did I put him?) Some expressions are less common in print: push up the daisies, kick the bucket, croak, buy the farm, cash out. All euphemisms conceal how we gasp and choke turning blue.”

Found on my computer, from August of 2017, don't know from where.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (5/29/2021 11:23 pm)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

5/30/2021 5:12 am  #2

Re: I will die one of these days

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

"It is sensible of me to be aware that I will die one of these days. I will not pass away. Every day millions of people pass away—in obituaries, death notices, cards of consolation, e-mails to the corpse’s friends—but people don’t die. Sometimes they rest in peace, quit this world, go the way of all flesh, depart, give up the ghost, breathe a last breath, join their dear ones in heaven, meet their Maker, ascend to a better place, succumb surrounded by family, return to the Lord, go home, cross over, or leave this world. Whatever the fatuous phrase, death usually happens peacefully (asleep) or after a courageous struggle (cancer). Sometimes women lose their husbands. (Where the hell did I put him?) Some expressions are less common in print: push up the daisies, kick the bucket, croak, buy the farm, cash out. All euphemisms conceal how we gasp and choke turning blue.”

Found on my computer, from August of 2017, don't know from where.

From Essays after Eighty by Donald Hall

Having no close family apart from Dad, a few years ago I made a will, not wanting the Carruthers millions to end up with a third cousin twice removed or, worse still, HM Government and I still can’t get over the emotional effect it had on me.
I suppose that I had never given much thought to my own mortality as we all think that we’re here for ever.
I know it sounds daft to say it, but the final realisation that we pass this way but once was distressing, to say the least.

Anyway, I’ve no plans to go just yet.

Last edited by Carruthers (5/30/2021 5:18 am)

5/30/2021 6:31 am  #3

I'm going to die as well. Nothingness is comforting. I'm young enough that I may get to watch parts of the story of humanity out of it's depth unfolding in real time but it seems unlikely any of us gets to see the end of the story. There has been a lot of dying this year and it has made me want to do some living.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/30/2021 7:06 pm  #4

Carruthers wrote:

From Essays after Eighty by Donald Hall

Having no close family apart from Dad, a few years ago I made a will, not wanting the Carruthers millions to end up with a third cousin twice removed or, worse still, HM Government and I still can’t get over the emotional effect it had on me.
I suppose that I had never given much thought to my own mortality as we all think that we’re here for ever.
I know it sounds daft to say it, but the final realisation that we pass this way but once was distressing, to say the least.
Anyway, I’ve no plans to go just yet. 

The source, excellent, thank you!
My whole life I've had a great fear of dying with unused vacation time and unspent money. Now that's not a problem it dawned on me what happens to my shit. The only family is my brother who stopped by for an hour on Thursday. He's 11 years younger and I hadn't seen him for half a dozen years. Trouble is nobody knows where all my shit is as it's scattered over several counties in 3 states. Oh, make that 4 states but he knows about that one.
Consequently I've been giving stuff away as the opportunities arise. Most of the books are gone, shipped an oscilloscope and adjustable strobe light to GA, I've even given away 4 handguns. Couple boxes to TX and one to KS, but, haven't put a dent in my packrat past. 

5/30/2021 7:06 pm  #5

I am DEFINITELY going to die.
also
I am DEFINITELY going to revisit this thread.

It's my new fave, tied with Bikes!

Be Just And Fear Not

5/30/2021 8:41 pm  #6

Well, if all y'all be dying and shit, count me in.

I don't like being left out...

Last edited by Gravdigr (5/30/2021 8:43 pm)

5/30/2021 8:48 pm  #7

The quote in the OP sounds like George Carlin.

5/31/2021 3:54 am  #8

Gravdigr  wrote:

Well, if all y'all be dying and shit, count me in.

I don't like being left out...

Don't worry, Grav. We're not going anywhere without you!

4/13/2023 4:32 am  #9

I've noiced my 10 year plans faded into 5 year plans.Then those shrank to 3 year plans which melted to 2 years of planning ahead. I'm scheduled to go to Flagstaff in September but I consider it a Lord-willing-and-the-creek-don't-rise.
My plan to be shot in bed by a jealous husband at  the age of 105 is kaput 

"Sick of livin' and scared of dyin'"

4/13/2023 6:20 am  #10

We are still planning on a 10 year scale but after the last 3 years we live more aware that we're engaged in smoke and mirror work. I got some bad news on a relative this week, we share some genetic predispositions so yeah I'm fully aware "no one gets out alive". I'm uneasy that I'm feeling a little done with the work oriented life but timing is not with me. I want to finish strong but who knows if I have the legs for this.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

9/19/2023 1:38 pm  #11

Got an email from my brother saying he had been contacted on facebook by the daughter of cousin George from his first marriage. George wants no contact with his previous family or his brother Tom. Yeah, my fathers family is as dysfunctional as they come.

Anyway, Tom was found dead in April. The figure he died in February. They contacted George who evidently arranged to have Tom disposed of. No funeral, no obit in the paper, and told no family member.
Georges daughter wanted to know if my brother was kin and if he had been told.

This prompted a back and forth between he and I about what's owned, where it is, safe combinations, and such.

9/19/2023 9:26 pm  #12

Do we say "they passed" because the last bodily functions are usually to pass things out of every orifice?

I hate the term

And I had that when I say my husband died, I am chastised for my directness by the response "when did he pass?  

I once did a nice thing for someone who was studying had for their exam to get into medical school.  We had to dismantle it afterwards, but I said I was saving the mini stethoscope I made for when they passed.  People were horrified.  I mean tthe fucking exam, you idiots.  Stop wussing out.  You make it worse not better by smothering it with euphemisms.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

9/28/2023 7:10 am  #13

Hey! That's me up there!

9/28/2023 6:15 pm  #14

Nobody knows about death because, when dead, nobody knows.

9/28/2023 7:36 pm  #15

How ya know?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

9/28/2023 10:16 pm  #16

Hob Gadling as a bird.

9/29/2023 6:43 pm  #17

tw wrote:

Nobody knows about death because, when dead, nobody knows.

You might know, for a few minutes:

When You Die, Your Brain Tells You That You're Dead
(2-1/2 minute video)

Think of it as something to look forward to.

9/29/2023 9:32 pm  #18

I've got some xoxoxoBruce in me. It came to me through the cellar.  And a couple times in person.  He affected who I am.  I saw doodads and IOTDs.  I read one line replies, and got home made Christmas cards.  I love that guy.

I've got a big chunk of black walnut that still hasn't told me what it wants to be.

I'll keep you with me, bruce.  But, don't be in any hurry about dying. I'm afraid that the part of me in you will die that day too.

9/30/2023 5:01 pm  #19

I just watched the last episode of season 2 of Good Omens, heartbreaking metaphor for death, brilliantly written and acted.

Board footera