cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2021 10:36 pm  #26

Re: What are you streaming?

I just found a new "scary movie":  Gloriavale on Amazon

I mean, I'm glad all these people are happy but....

ETA: ok so I did some more research and came across this article -none of that was hinted at in the doco..... now it goes beyond horror movie, maybe.  My library doesn't have this book

Last edited by monster (3/25/2021 8:46 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/25/2021 5:46 am  #27

RFN, I'm watching VEVO 70s, on Pluto, through the Roku.

I just watched Joe Cocker singing She Came In Through The Bathroom Window.  It was painful to watch.  It's like every nerve in his body was firing at the same time.

Also, if he wasn't tripping balls, he shoulda been, cuz he sure appeared to be.

Also, also, for at least part of the video, the bassist is 'playing' the back of the bass guitar, it's turned around with the strings against his body.

Weirdos.

ETA:  Here's the video, check the bass player at about 1:30:

Last edited by Gravdigr (3/25/2021 5:53 am)

3/25/2021 7:42 am  #28

In a family ZOOM meeting on Monday, my little brother casually mentioned that a movie he worked on is coming out on Netflix on April 22. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_apvQkWsVY&ab_channel=Netflix

He was on Reddit like 4 years ago, and somebody asked a question about the international space station.  My brother was one of hundreds of engineers that helped design the ISS, and he answered the question.  So some other dude contacted my brother and said he was working on a movie script and would my brother take a look at it from a sanity check science point of view.  So my brother emailed him back and forth for a few months, helping to shape technical ideas in the script.  So then about 2 years ago, my brother read in the newspaper that this new movie was being cast, and he recognized it as the one he helped a little bit on.   So he emailed the writer to congratulate him on selling his script, and it turns out the guy also happens to be the director, and would my brother like to help tweak the script a little bit more.  So again he emails back and forth with the writer/director for a couple months.  The movie was supposed to come out a year ago, but with the pandemic, Netflix bought it, and now it's coming out next month.

So that's cool.  The trailer nooks decent, and I'll probably watch it..

3/25/2021 8:31 am  #29

Neat!!!   Will your bro get writing credit?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/25/2021 8:58 am  #30

He is supposedly getting some sort of Technical Advisor credit (but no money, since he did it for fun.)  and if I recall correctly, Netflix shrinks the screen when the credits start to roll and tries to tell you what to watch next, so his name won't ever be visible.

3/25/2021 10:48 am  #31

IMDB page! lol

3/25/2021 2:17 pm  #32

Nice!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/25/2021 3:20 pm  #33

That's cool--and even cooler that your brother helped design the ISS!

3/25/2021 8:52 pm  #34

This is the same guy responsible for Nest thermostats?

3/26/2021 7:30 am  #35

That's my other brother who did the Nest thermostats.  He's basically retired now, but takes on occasional  odd programming jobs that interest him.  He most recently did a very quick consulting gig for a British cell phone company that is trying to come up with devices that help elderly people who live alone. They are discovering that it's complicated.  They engaged his services because he had worked at Google, and he was able to tell them everything he knew about meeting Google standards.  So after that first day long meeting, he had told them everything he knew, and they just asked him to complete his 40 hour contract by double checking project team status for an hour or so every couple days until he reached 40 hours of work.  He generally enjoyed that gig, except he is on Pacific time and had to attend Zoom meetings on London time and they didn't always consider his schedule when they set the meeting times.

I sometimes wonder if I should have applied myself more, and gone into some sort of tech field and be retired by now.  *shrug*  Working at a law firm pays the bills though.  I get to file another trademark for a famous mobile app company this morning.  I should probably turn to that now...

3/26/2021 8:51 am  #36

Talented family all around.  All those engineers need people to understand how to protect their work which is also not something just anyone can do....

3/26/2021 10:36 am  #37

Can I invest in a futures interest in your kids?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/01/2021 6:36 pm  #38

Filing trademarks is cool!  And in the news, like the new Voltswagen!

psych!

It sounds like you have a whole family of high achievers, congratulations to you all.

Be Just And Fear Not

4/02/2021 10:58 am  #39

BigV wrote:

Filing trademarks is cool!  And in the news, like the new Voltswagen!

Thanks for reminding me.  I checked the USPTO records when I read that news about Voltswagen, and didn't see it, so I thought it was BS marketing.  But there it is.  It just took a few days for the databases to get populated.

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=90610115&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Interesting that they are only filing for tshirts.  It appears that you can still apply for a trademark for Voltswagen for cars.  And I can tell you that the application will be rejected for not following the rules.  The picture of the tshirt they summited is merely a design on a tshirt.  You need to show the mark on the tag in the collar.

Actually, hold on.  Some guy named Benjamin H. Weinstein filed for this mark, and using a PO Box for his address.  It will get rejected for that too.

Looks like the real Volkswagen hasn't filed anything.

4/11/2021 10:27 am  #40

We've started watching Ted Lasso. I was certain it would fail but it doesn't. So far it's a feel good.

Watched Star Wars: A New Hope last night. Deep memory stuff nice. The Jabba scene dropped into it was a little weird though.

4/13/2021 12:22 pm  #41

glatt wrote:

I sometimes wonder if I should have applied myself more, and gone into some sort of tech field and be retired by now.

So, you're basically the art student in your family?

I will definitely be watching that movie when it is released.

Last edited by footfootfoot (4/13/2021 12:22 pm)

Hey! That's me up there!

4/13/2021 1:28 pm  #42

glatt wrote:

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=90610115&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Actually, hold on.  Some guy named Benjamin H. Weinstein filed for this mark, and using a PO Box for his address.  It will get rejected for that too.

Looks like the real Volkswagen hasn't filed anything.

That link now shows what a bug getting squashed looks like.  (We don't get to see the nasty letters that the dude received.)

6/01/2021 9:14 pm  #43

Ladies and Gentlemen of The Cellar, I implore you, do yourself a solid and find a show called Moving Art.  Currently on NetFlix, it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on a tv screen.

And no words, no narration.  It's your basic Nature-type program, not animals (so far), but nature.  And no people.

Well, they went all island ppl twirling fire batons and shit at the end of ep 1, so with my luck ep 2 will probably be narrated by a stuttering auctioneer.

But srsly.  Beautiful, just gorgeous.

6/02/2021 5:41 am  #44

Noted

6/02/2021 9:49 pm  #45

So, NetFlix fucked me up.  Again.  Yet again, I should say.

The seasons are listed 3, 2, and 1.  I've been watching season 3.

Look twice when you start.

Last edited by Gravdigr (6/02/2021 9:51 pm)

6/02/2021 11:10 pm  #46

Latest series of UK Taskmaster

6/03/2021 11:33 am  #47

It's a good one!

6/06/2021 11:01 pm  #48

Carry on Glamping with Johnny Vegas.  Just binged it over the last few days.  Youtube

6/07/2021 5:53 am  #49

One episode into Sweet Tooth, am liking it.

6/07/2021 10:28 am  #50

That was just on the This-is-what-we-want-you-to-watch screen on NetFlix.  I typically ignore that.  Might give it a try, but doesn't seem my cuppa.

Mr. Mercedes on Peacock, also The Hobbit movies, Pitch Black, and Conan The Barbarian, soon, on same.

Criminal Minds, Moving Art, Law & Order: Organized Crime (cuz I like Dylan McDermott), The Black List, Alias (ridiculous show, usually just on in the background), Good Girls, Debris (like Lost, in that they're never gonna answer these questions)

Five thumbs up on Mr. Mercedes, btw, love that show, and love Brendan Gleeson...

Last edited by Gravdigr (6/07/2021 10:35 am)

Board footera