cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2024 12:27 am  #1

You're Gonna Die...

The only question is when... although I admit the how is of some interest also.
Social Security has the when calculated for everyone born before 2087.
Yes that's right, 2087.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/27/2024 1:26 am  #2

Re: You're Gonna Die...

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

The only question is when...

Except the “when” changes as you age:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/how-long-does-retirement-last-most-american-men-don-t-seem-to-know/ar-AA1i5ix5?ocid=HPCDHP&pc=HPDTDFJS&cvid=b26a214cc9fe472bb47ce879b3f30927&ei=11

Most of us seem to know that the average American lives between 70 and 80 years: 73.5 years for men, and 79.3 for women, to be exact. Fewer of us understand that life expectancy rises with age. An American man who turns 70 today will live to 85, on average. A woman of 70 will live to 87

That knowledge is called 
longevity literacy. Many of us don’t have it, and ignorance may cost us….

1/29/2024 7:53 pm  #3

You're Gonna Die...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/29/2024 11:52 pm  #4

And so he did.  2016 I believe.

1/30/2024 10:10 am  #5

and then there's this: "Over the last 100 years, studies have provided mixed results on the mortality and health of tall and short people. However, during the last 30 years, several researchers have found a negative correlation between greater height and longevity based on relatively homogeneous deceased population samples."

You don't see many tall old people.

1/30/2024 5:16 pm  #6

Maybe because over the years, one get shorter?  Or maybe because, with age, they stop trying to look down on all others?

1/30/2024 5:37 pm  #7

glatt et al. wrote:

...You don't see many tall old people all told.

1/31/2024 7:04 am  #8

glatt tried to slip that by.

Tall people are an offense to Goddess Gravity.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/31/2024 2:10 pm  #9

I was always told that tall people have their heads on the clouds.  Therefore ignore (cannot see) everyone else.

Guess that is why we no longer see any ten foot tall people.

Last edited by tw (1/31/2024 2:11 pm)

2/07/2024 12:17 am  #10

Oooh.  I work on the project that provides a lot of the data for the studies mentioned here.  ooh  ooh

re height, I see a few tall old people on a regular basis ....but they're very stooped so it's hard to tell how tall they are ...... 

Note that average height has increased quite rapidly over the last 100 years, so our concept of tall has likely changed too - but the people who are old people now were born over 70 years ago.  When 5'10" was considered tall for a guy -now it's average, so there may be lots of tall old people, we just don't notice them

Last edited by monster (2/07/2024 9:51 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/07/2024 12:24 am  #11

griff wrote:

I'm doing my part to honor the Gravity Goddess, I've lost 1¼ inches since I was 18.
I've had the thought if I wore a girdle I might regain that ... and more. LoL

2/07/2024 10:46 am  #12

World's tallest people are said to be in Netherlands.  Always wondered why.  Living below sea level (closer to center of gravity)  makes one grow taller?

2/08/2024 7:23 am  #13

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

griff wrote:

I'm doing my part to honor the Gravity Goddess, I've lost 1¼ inches since I was 18.
I've had the thought if I wore a girdle I might regain that ... and more. LoL

We're mostly fluid so I'd be worried... maybe a pressure relief valve on the back of the head would help?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/31/2024 8:43 pm  #14

What, another hole in the head?

Board footera