cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2021 5:04 pm  #1

ICE CREAM !!!

I see articles raving about homemade ice cream from the good old days, you know, when women and minorities knew their place in the land of the free and home of the brave. So I see these old timey instructions and see it's a lot of work.

In my youth I spent considerable time at my grandparents and that's where it was likely to happen but didn't. Reading
the instructions it requires a lot of ice and salt. Salt had to be bought and Ice without electricity... fugetaboutit.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/21/2021 6:50 pm  #2

Re: ICE CREAM !!!

We have an electric one that I've used several times. It's noisy as hell.

8/26/2021 12:33 am  #3

But it does work? Is it better than store bought ice cream?

8/26/2021 6:00 am  #4

We used to make homemade ice cream a lot. It's better.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

8/26/2021 11:39 am  #5

Yep, it's better, but the last five minutes of cranking could be an eleventh event in the decathlon.

8/26/2021 5:34 pm  #6

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

I can't honestly tell you, since our recipes involve no dairy or sugar.

8/27/2021 12:11 pm  #7

Clodfobble wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

I can't honestly tell you, since our recipes involve no dairy or sugar.

OK, let's see THAT recipe.

8/27/2021 4:58 pm  #8

Version 1 (any flavor):

28 oz (2 cans) of coconut milk
1/2 cup honey
3 egg yolks

To that, you can add vanilla, mint, or whatever extract you want, or 1/2 cup frozen fruit, to be added to the machine mid-cycle when the above mixture is thickening but not totally finished.

Version 2 (Pistachio-flavored):

3/4 cup almond milk
1 large ripe avocado
2 TBS coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1/8 tsp salt
1 TBS unsalted pistachios

Theoretically you could flavor this one however you want as well, but the avocado makes the end result distinctly green, so it's wise to go with a flavor that people expect to be green, like pistachio or mint.

8/27/2021 5:00 pm  #9

In case it wasn't apparent, the instructions for both are to blend all the ingredients together thoroughly in a blender, then pour it into the ice cream maker and follow the machine's instructions from there.

8/28/2021 7:19 am  #10

Cuisipro makes small hand cranked ice-cream makers that are super easy to use. No fuss no bother.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

9/03/2021 11:47 pm  #11

I should think the ice and salt mess would be bad enough regardless of the easy-to-crank-ness.

Board footera