cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/05/2021 6:13 am  #176

Re: What have you cooked recently

Wool isn't worth anything in the US, so you don't get the meat byproduct like Australia / NZed. You'd think with how popular and expensive Smartwool is there would be production here.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/05/2021 11:35 am  #177

The cost of production down under must be way less to make up for transport.
But I think I have read that with super ships transportation costs hardly count.
I  was going to post a vid of live sheep transport, but it didn't work; probably a good thing.

6/05/2021 8:23 pm  #178

No cold drinks and shuffleboard for the sheep in steerage...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/07/2021 11:20 am  #179

Another pic that doesn't work.

6/07/2021 12:50 pm  #180

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

No cold drinks and shuffleboard for the sheep in steerage...

He probably used the Monkey, instead of the paper clip in the posting page.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

8/12/2021 4:52 pm  #181

I lsst cooked my mac and cheese (The leftovers I had in the fridge)

8/13/2021 8:34 pm  #182

fargon wrote:

He probably used the Monkey, instead of the paper clip in the posting page.

Yeah, the monkey don't shrink them, and easier to do.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/19/2021 5:14 pm  #183

Chicken white karahi

10/23/2021 4:12 pm  #184

Rotisserie-chicken burritos

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

10/24/2021 12:05 pm  #185

I roasted some vegetables this weekend.  They're easy to make, inexpensive, good for you, but the prep.... ugh.

Be Just And Fear Not

10/30/2021 10:14 am  #186

I've been super into pesto lately. 

Boil up a bit of pasta, throw in some frozen veg a few mins before it's done and then once drained stir through some pesto - simple but tasty

10/30/2021 10:46 am  #187

For some reason I have you labeled in my mind as someone who hates cilantro, but in case I'm wrong--chimichurri is another great "bunch of green stuff" paste that tastes amazing on everything.

10/30/2021 11:26 am  #188

Had to quickly look that up on Google - was fairly sure it meant coriander - hadn't realised you guys have separate terms for different parts of the plant

I like coriander leaves - haven't had it in a paste though - that sounds great. 

10/30/2021 9:05 pm  #189

I don't know what Google told you, but around here there aren't separate names for separate parts of the plant (stems vs. leaves, I guess?) It's all just cilantro. Actually, in my brain the way I think of it is that it's coriander when it's in Indian dishes, and cilantro when it's in Mexican dishes.

10/31/2021 5:36 am  #190

This was what I found: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/cilantro-vs-coriander

In North America, cilantro refers to the leaves and stalks of the plant. The word “cilantro” is the Spanish name for coriander leaves. Meanwhile, the dried seeds of the plant are called coriander.Internationally, it’s a different story. Coriander is the name for the leaves and stalks of the plant, while the dried seeds are called coriander seeds.

10/31/2021 5:47 am  #191

It's probably similar to the way all the lists of Brit -v- US language differences always advise Americans that if they refer to trousers as pants it will be an embarrassing mistake because in Britain 'pants' means underwear .... except in large swathes of the country the word is used in exactly the same way as in the US
Same with jumper / sweater 

The Cilantro/coriander split is probably a feature of  standard american English  that actually differs region to region

10/31/2021 6:08 am  #192

I'm the cilantro hater -tastes like soap.  I only learned that that was a genetic thing in the last decade or so.  Prior to that, I thought all my soapy experiences at the balti houses of Birmingham in my student days were related to over-enthusiasm with the fairly liquid and under-enthusiasm on the post-wash rinse.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/31/2021 8:21 am  #193

The chemistry and genetics of taste are pretty fascinating to me--I think beets taste like dirt, as a lot of people do, but I also think cherries taste like that same kind of dirt to a somewhat lesser degree, and I've never met anyone else who thinks the same.

Board footera