cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2020 12:25 pm  #1

Mountains

We had a couple of ongoing threads about some of the scary mountains of the world. This is a continuation.
Today's Astronomy Picture of the Day features Mars, a meteor and one of the amazing places China seems to have in surplus.
[url]https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap201121.html [/url]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Dragon_Snow_Mountain

The pics at the bottom are great.
I had problems with links and am still working on actual photos, so this maybe fubar.

11/21/2020 1:24 pm  #2

Re: Mountains

Wow! What a beautiful shot.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/21/2020 10:44 pm  #3

Jade Dragon Snow Mountain....

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/22/2020 5:18 pm  #4

I miss the mountains.  I didn't make it to Asheville NC last year nor (obviously) this year.  I am hoping to go back next year

11/27/2020 4:52 pm  #5

I found out how pretty that is last year. Very nice.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/27/2020 5:02 pm  #6

ADK

11/27/2020 10:36 pm  #7

Somebody say mountains?

10/19/2021 5:10 pm  #8

guess the world's 2nd highest mountain? 

10/20/2021 1:29 am  #9

It's supposed to be K2, but the height is measured from sea level. The Earth is not perfectly round so sea level varies too.
Mauna Kea in Hawaii is only 14,000 ft above sea level, but it's near 20,000 ft below sea level making it the tallest mountain on earth.
I guess as the oceans rise somebody has to change all the measurements.

10/20/2021 6:49 pm  #10

These aren't mountains, but they're made of the same stuff, frozen magma.  Much of eastern Washington is covered in successive layers of basalt.  It's a big LIP (large igneous province).   As the supercaldera currently known as Yellowstone welled up and overflowed with excess magma, it poured out through cracks in the crust called fissures.  The blade-shaped towers here are known as fissures, but they're really just the more solid remains of the cracks in the crust through which the magma flowed, back (way back) in the day.  The surrounding surface material, softer than basalt, eroded away and left these remnants.  These are from a road trip we took a few weeks ago to the southeaster corner of the state near the Idaho Oregon Washington border.  

Be Just And Fear Not

10/21/2021 6:03 am  #11

How cool are those? I'll answer that, extremely cool. What's the surface texture?

10/21/2021 11:49 am  #12

I think the big one is a petrified owl.

10/21/2021 6:57 pm  #13

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Mauna Kea in Hawaii is only 14,000 ft above sea level, but it's near 20,000 ft below sea level making it the tallest mountain on earth.

My penis measurements work the same way.  Base to tip, I'm barely average.  But, if I measure from sea level, starting at my shoulder blades, and going around my slack-hanging sack, to the tip, I'm yuge.

Yuge, I tells ya.

And I come so fast that a Tesla don't even know anything happened, till that slick spot where a grille should be gets stickier than a Tesla-owner's soul patch.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

10/21/2021 7:09 pm  #14

griff wrote:

What's the surface texture?

Looks to be about the same as my prostate's...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

10/29/2021 10:18 pm  #15

If you're into mountains and the little villages up there, scroll down this thread on twitter. Just one after another of 10 to 30 second long animated GIFs of the incredible scenery. Guaranteed or your money cheerfully refunded.
https://twitter.com/WowSwiss

10/30/2021 11:29 am  #16

Thanks Bruce, I tried to put Christmas trees on my cows' heads and they stomped me near to death.

11/02/2021 2:28 am  #17

Ah mistake, got to start them as calves.

11/02/2021 11:52 am  #18

A variant of the Milo of Croton story, which has some other interesting aspects.
Stay tuned. 

11/03/2021 11:08 am  #19

A follow-up to those nice, scenic views of Switzerland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpqtRDnDu7k

1/01/2022 5:09 pm  #20

South America has mountains too.
This map of South America from the dawn of the 20th century looks like a topographical map. It’s actually a geological map. All those color keys separated into the land , the continental shelf by age, Jurassic, Triassic, etc. Then the third larger group is the type of rock.
This map, like most maps of the era exaggerates the heights of the mountains. In this case in order to fit all the information in. However it’s easy to see where and why the rainforests/jungles are.

If you click on the picture twice it will embiggen... and you won't be in Kansas anymore.

1/14/2022 9:06 pm  #21

It's a shame this Swiss hotel is now closed...

Would have been fun to have dinner while watching distracted tourists fail to negotiate the turn and plunge to their deaths. 

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (1/14/2022 9:09 pm)

1/15/2022 7:24 am  #22

All those Saabs drifting that corner woulda kept ya awake, anyway...

1/15/2022 7:27 am  #23

Heh, drifting Saabs.

1/15/2022 8:55 pm  #24

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

South America has mountains too.
This map of South America from the dawn of the 20th century looks like a topographical map. It’s actually a geological map. All those color keys separated into the land , the continental shelf by age, Jurassic, Triassic, etc. Then the third larger group is the type of rock.
This map, like most maps of the era exaggerates the heights of the mountains. In this case in order to fit all the information in. However it’s easy to see where and why the rainforests/jungles are.

If you click on the picture twice it will embiggen... and you won't be in Kansas anymore.

Like it?

Buy it.

https://muir-way.com/collections/vintage-relief/products/south-america-1950-relief-map

Be Just And Fear Not

1/16/2022 10:49 am  #25

I have one of these for the High Peaks of the Adirondacks. It has a lot of trails mapped out and gives a good sense of the terrain you'd cross.

Last edited by griff (1/16/2022 10:50 am)

Board footera