cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2021 2:07 pm  #26

Re: Cooking from cookbooks - A challenge

Happy Monkey wrote:

I assume forty humans are covered in Mr. Bittman's book.

It's more likely they'll be in the Meta Givens cookbooks.  There's a large game section that includes bear.  Or the Amish cookbooks......

12/13/2021 5:39 pm  #27

New recipe!
The cookbook by the person behind smittenkitchen.com - I've been following her for many years.  She's got a lot of good recipes

The recipe.  I've been meaning to make this for a while, but I always got lazy when the time came

My plate

Verdict
Not bad.  I cheated and used thin sliced chicken breasts.   I got 5 pieces out of the breading set up.  I think the first few pieces have A LOT of the "wet" step, so those will be interesting when I eat them.
The dressing for the salad sucked pretty hard.  It was so sour!  I added some honey for tomorrow, so hopefully that will hope.  I was thinking along the lines of honey mustard.

12/13/2021 7:18 pm  #28

Yummy!

I Love my country, I fear the government.

12/14/2021 6:54 am  #29

I could go for that!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/14/2021 7:32 pm  #30

@fargon - Thanks!
@griff - Since it makes 5 servings, I get it the rest of the week :D

Quick update.  I abandoned the salad dressing completely.  It just wasn't good  Not sure why she thought lemon juice and mustard made a salad dressing.

I also did some cooking tonight.  I almost didn't, but kind of forced myself. OMG.  It's fucking delicious.  I'm so glad I made it!!

Cookbook

Recipe

Finished

A couple notes.  I only added 1 tbsp of the red curry and no chilis.  I think next time I'll try more curry paste.  I also couldn't find proper egg noodles, so I just used wide lo mein noodles.  They worked ok, but there was really not a lot of sauce.  I'm wondering if adding some chicken broth to the last step would help that.  And also using the correct noodles

12/16/2021 7:00 pm  #31

Me, back in post #19:
yeast, yeast, yeast, yeast, yeast, yadda yadda yadda

And now another friend of the microbe:

Be Just And Fear Not

12/16/2021 9:25 pm  #32

BigV wrote:

Me, back in post #19:
yeast, yeast, yeast, yeast, yeast, yadda yadda yadda

And now another friend of the microbe:
{video removed by moi}

He sounds like he wants to be Alton Brown.  I always found the smell of yeast disgusting, but I guess I never actually boiled it until it died......on purpose

12/17/2021 11:53 am  #33

It is funny how senses vary.
I find the smell of yeast in fermenting beer and wine and in baking bread very enjoyable.

12/17/2021 6:19 pm  #34

I mean, I love baking bread in the oven, but that first step when the yeast is getting bubbly in the warm water?  Ech

12/22/2021 3:45 pm  #35

Baked a bit today.  I'm not sure why these are "breakfast" muffins, but I'm not gonna argue.  I've actually had a lot of good recipes from this cookbook.

Simple ingredients, nothing complicated in the directions

Finished, tasty muffins

There was a lot of batter that, obviously, overflowed.  I think the next time I make it, I'll use my double pan and only fill them 3/4 full.  I bet I could get a few more whole ones since there was still batter in the bowl, too.

12/22/2021 5:08 pm  #36

Yummy, I'm going to your house for breakfast.

12/22/2021 7:39 pm  #37

fargon wrote:

Yummy, I'm going to your house for breakfast.

If you did. I'd probably send you home with half of them

12/22/2021 11:06 pm  #38

I'll take good care of them.

12/23/2021 1:47 pm  #39

bbro wrote:

Baked a bit today.  I'm not sure why these are "breakfast" muffins, 

Permission

12/23/2021 10:59 pm  #40

Happy Monkey wrote:

bbro wrote:

Baked a bit today.  I'm not sure why these are "breakfast" muffins, 

Permission

Like I need permission to eat chocolate for breakfast 

12/24/2021 10:26 am  #41

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/24/2021 4:30 pm  #42

More baking!!

Cookbook

Recipe

Finished

I'm not sure how they said 40-50 cookies.  Although, I do have a crap ton of lemon curd that I didn't use.  I may try these again and use the smaller cookie scoop.  While trying to get these ones to brown on top, they kind of dried out.  They're ok.  The lemon curd sticks to the roof of my mouth and that's just no good.  I'm not sure I'd make these again if I didn't have all the curd to use.

12/24/2021 5:12 pm  #43

Send them to me. We'll make short work of them.

12/24/2021 11:38 pm  #44

I swear fargon, if I lived close to you, I could get all my baking urges out and you would 100% benefit

12/25/2021 8:13 am  #45

Yummy!!!

12/25/2021 11:04 pm  #46

So, the next few things I'm cooking aren't from the cookbooks, but I thought if there was a specific cookbook anyone really wanted me to use, you could let me know.  You can use the picture or I can list all the unused cookbooks if it's something people want.

12/27/2021 10:23 pm  #47

Undertoad wrote:

I've used two recipes I got from Bittman, the guy who wrone How To Cook Everything, and I wonder if they are in there. One is a easy chicken curry, if you like curry OK, that recipe is so easy that it became a regular in my household. It's just six ingredients and takes like 30 minutes.

The other is "24 hour bread", which is a bread recipe which requiires no kneading. It makes beautiful bread, weird-shaped but beautiful.

So, he has a base recipe for Grilled or Broiled Chicken and a table that gives different variations on those.  One is Curried chicken and it's basically toss with yogurt and curry powder, and grill or broil it.

As for the bread, it looks like the similar one in this book is the one from Jim Lahey (I actually have a cookbook of his) that became popular a few years ago, iirc.  If you google no knead bread, the first result is a Jim Lahey recipe adapted by Mark Bittman ( https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread )  I assume it's the same/similar recipe.

12/30/2021 5:18 pm  #48

Sorry about the paywall UT - It didn't come up when I searched.  I'll be cooking out of Lahey's book at some point.  

I'm getting back to meal prepping next week, so I'm actually thinking of looking at the older cookbooks for casseroles.

1/03/2022 1:45 pm  #49

I started back in my weight loss group today, so that will be an extra challenge while doing this.  I did find a couple recipes I can make for the whole week.  The first one was made for lunch - Ravioli soup.  It was not bad, but not great.  I made 6 servings instead of 10 and used a bigger bag of raviolis and there still wasn't many in each serving.  I guess it's kind of hard for me to separate this from just a bowl of ravioli.  If I made it again, I think I'd abandon the soup part and double the ravioli so it's just a pasta dish.  

Cookbook

Recipe

Finished!

I'll have another one from the same book later today

1/03/2022 4:12 pm  #50

I'd eat that.

Board footera