cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2022 5:55 pm  #51

Re: Cooking from cookbooks - A challenge

Update: I did my first workout of the year today.  The second recipe will have to wait until tomorrow

@fargon - It just needs some crusty bread

1/04/2022 5:49 pm  #52

New recipe from the same book as above
Recipe

Made

Sadly, this was not as good as I was hoping.  There was way too much salt and the dumplings are very dense.  Honestly, I'd rather have the potatoes in the actual stew and bisquick dumplings - lol

1/07/2022 6:35 pm  #53

Update on the stew - I finally got sick of the dumplings and replaced them with potatoes.

Today I made a VERY disappointing recipe.  From (surprisingly) Martha Stewart!!

Recipe!

Finished product (after they cooled)

There was VERY little cake in these.  The tops make so many crumbs, they compete with nature valley granola bars, but these can kill the dogs..  It was so sad.  I highly doubt I'd make these again.

1/07/2022 8:10 pm  #54

Crumble them up in milk and eat them with a spoon.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/08/2022 10:15 am  #55

fargon wrote:

Crumble them up in milk and eat them with a spoon.

This does not sound tasty at all - lol.  I would top some ice cream with the crumbles, but, sadly, I'm watching my food intake again 

1/08/2022 3:42 pm  #56

I watch my food intake constantly.

1/09/2022 3:20 am  #57

I don't watch mine nearly like I should.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/09/2022 3:28 am  #58

Just in case someone may need to know:

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/10/2022 7:36 pm  #59

I made meatloaf!

Cookbook:

Recipe:

Done!

I was worried about the amount of bread, but it worked ok.  There was definitely not enough seasoning in it, though.  I HATE when recipes say season to taste when you're working with raw meat.  "Let me just taste this ground beef and see what it needs".  It is not the most "together" meatloaf.  There will be no slices made into sandwiches, but I'm quite looking forward to eating the rest of it over the next week.

1/11/2022 9:48 am  #60

That looks delicious.  I need to make some meatloaf.

1/11/2022 5:29 pm  #61

@glatt - I'm always looking for a good meatloaf.  I think my normal one might be the best though

1/21/2022 11:36 am  #62

bbro wrote:

@glatt - I'm always looking for a good meatloaf.  I think my normal one might be the best though

Meatloaf just died. A little sensitivity wouldn't hurt.

Hey! That's me up there!

1/21/2022 11:42 am  #63

I'm very late to this thread but, whatever you do don't cook all of Julia Child's recipes, and if you must definitely don't blog about it.

bbro wrote:

I ran across a spreadsheet with a list of all my cookbooks.  It looks like I was trying to cook something from all of them in 2020.  I think it got abandoned due to obvious reasons.  I'd like to try again.  I'm not sure if I should time box it to 12 months.  Or just cook.  Count the previous recipes?  Or start new?  The current count is 81.  I think I'm missing one in the list, so possibly 82, I need to check.

I figured I'd start a thread for accountability since I tend to lose focus on projects like this (pic below as a reminder of the cookbooks I have)

Hey! That's me up there!

1/21/2022 5:53 pm  #64

footfootfoot wrote:

I'm very late to this thread but, whatever you do don't cook all of Julia Child's recipes, and if you must definitely don't blog about it.

Ha!  I saw that movie, actually.  I loved the Julia Child parts.

So sad about Meatloaf.  I think I'll listen to his music when I clean/cook tomorrow.  

1/23/2022 10:30 am  #65

I needed some buns because I wanted sandwiches for breakfast this week.  Unfortunately, we go hit with snowfall that caused a lot of black ice.  Perfect time to try a bun recipe!  Whelp, I need dry milk to do the one I really want.  And a kaiser roll stamp to do another option.  So, I thought I'd try one from this cookbook:

I was kind of worried because I realized my yeast was expired.  I could've sworn I bought some recently, but I couldn't find it.  I could only make half a recipe.  I really didn't think it was going to rise much, but it did!
Original on the left, after 2 hours on the top, and overnight on the bottom

They didn't have directions on making buns from the main recipe (which I think was an oversight), but I gave it a shot.  The little blobs on top are from me trying to even out the sizes

Slashed and baked

Cut open

Breakfast!

It's a tasty bread recipe.  I want to try it again when I have fresh yeast.  As long as I have room in the fridge, the idea is to store the dough and take off enough for a loaf as needed.  The crust was crunchy and the inside soft.  I will say that the most difficult part was actually mixing everything together.  There's admonishments all over NOT to knead.  Do you know how hard that is to do when you're used to kneading to make sure everything is incorporated??

Another cookbook checked off.  Only 83 to go (facepalm)

1/23/2022 11:15 am  #66

That looks wonderful!!!!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/23/2022 1:38 pm  #67

Thanks guys!

1/23/2022 1:48 pm  #68

Can I have one please?

1/23/2022 7:47 pm  #69

@fargon - yes.  Yes you can

I made a new recipe for dinner, too.  I was supposed to make it last week, but was lazy.  I also hate everything today, so I wasn't going to make it again, but I forced myself to. 

Cookbook

Recipe

Done

It's not bad.  A light flavor.  I might consider doing 1.5 of the sauce next time and more chili sauce.  I need to find a closer asian store so I can get the proper noodles

And yes, fargon - you can have some of this too

1/23/2022 10:12 pm  #70

Love Noodles.

1/24/2022 11:38 am  #71

Umm, I have two questions:

How the fuq you eating bread with diabetes?

~and~

How the fuq you eating noodles with diabetes?

Deez are m'querstions.  TIA

1/24/2022 11:44 am  #72

I don't eat a lot of either.

1/24/2022 5:49 pm  #73

Quick update on the actual challenge.  I've used 13/95 cookbooks so far.  I'm planning on making a cake this week that'll knock out another one.  I'm not sure if I'm going to make a new something next week, yet.  I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would!  Sometimes it's tough finding a recipe that still fits into my weight loss eating plan, but I haven't given up yet!

1/26/2022 7:31 am  #74

You can do this, bbro. That's only 1.7 books/week.

Hey! That's me up there!

1/26/2022 8:35 am  #75

@foot - I'm giving myself to next Thanksgiving since that's when I officially started.

Board footera