cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2022 9:14 pm  #1

Dry January

Apparently it is actually a thing. Homegirl suggested we try it and I figured, why not? It couldn't hurt and might actually be good.
So, DJ went off without a hitch. I was tempted at about week 3 but just took a whiff of bourbon and re-capped it, realizing that I didn't actually want it.

At the end of the month I was expecting to really enjoy my first beer but I couldn't finish it. So I thought maybe some bourbon would taste good, but no. I just didn't have a taste for it. Wine was ok but not thrilling. We decided to extend Dry January to Dry Weekday and that's been pretty good.

I learned a few things: I was definitely drinking out of habit, definitely drinking more than the RDA, I didn't realize any dramatic weight loss, blood pressure dropping, but I did notice my sleep improved somewhat and I felt much more chipper in the morning. HG reported not being as thirsty at night. I'm not sure about me.

We did veer into weekday drinking on the day we had to put down The Best Dog Evar® (14 years) and yesterday when I had an exceptionally grueling day. DJ has shown me that I can have one drink or two and not need to have 3 or 4.

I've gone dry for years at a time for no particular reason, but this time I am interested in changing my default response to alcohol from 'yes' to 'let me think about it'.

The next few months might bring some mellow-harshing so we'll see if the default settings change again.

Hey! That's me up there!

2/10/2022 9:42 pm  #2

Re: Dry January

good for you, footsie!  

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/10/2022 11:10 pm  #3

footfootfoot wrote:

Apparently it is actually a thing. Homegirl suggested we try it and I figured, why not? It couldn't hurt and might actually be good.
So, DJ went off without a hitch. I was tempted at about week 3 but just took a whiff of bourbon and re-capped it, realizing that I didn't actually want it.

At the end of the month I was expecting to really enjoy my first beer but I couldn't finish it. So I thought maybe some bourbon would taste good, but no. I just didn't have a taste for it. Wine was ok but not thrilling. We decided to extend Dry January to Dry Weekday and that's been pretty good.

I learned a few things: I was definitely drinking out of habit, definitely drinking more than the RDA, I didn't realize any dramatic weight loss, blood pressure dropping, but I did notice my sleep improved somewhat and I felt much more chipper in the morning. HG reported not being as thirsty at night. I'm not sure about me.

We did veer into weekday drinking on the day we had to put down The Best Dog Evar® (14 years) and yesterday when I had an exceptionally grueling day. DJ has shown me that I can have one drink or two and not need to have 3 or 4.

I've gone dry for years at a time for no particular reason, but this time I am interested in changing my default response to alcohol from 'yes' to 'let me think about it'.

The next few months might bring some mellow-harshing so we'll see if the default settings change again.

Yes, sir.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/10/2022 11:12 pm  #4

Asprirationally, speaking, of course.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/11/2022 6:50 am  #5

You do you foots. It's a habit I haven't returned to. It made dropping my weight easier but probably wasn't as important as overall diet and exercise, still there are a lot of empty calories there.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/11/2022 8:49 am  #6

That's great, foot, I'm proud of you!

2/11/2022 10:21 am  #7

Thanks, guys!

Hey! That's me up there!

2/11/2022 4:00 pm  #8

I'm proud of you. Thumbs up!

I've gone in a different direction.  My wife got me a book about wines for Christmas, so I've been learning about all the different wines and wine regions and what to look for in a wine, as well as where the good values are.  It's been really interesting, and I've gone from having a box of wine in the basement that I tap into for a glass or 2 (I always stop at 2) a couple times a week, to seeking out different wines and buying them a bottle at time.  It's been a lot of fun and enlightening, but I'm drinking most nights now, even if it's just a glass or 2.  I recently discovered a specific Spanish Rioja that was on sale for $13, and normally $25, and it was really yummy.  So a bought the 6-pack value pack, and apparently now I'm building a stash in the basement.  So I'm that guy.

2/13/2022 1:08 am  #9

Save the corks, glatt. They're Handy for hobbies and projects, plus a good reminder of how much you're drinking... or how many times you've had communion. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/14/2022 10:00 am  #10

Absolutely true.  The corks, when they are cork, are awesome.  I fixed a spit valve flapper cover on a trombone last month with a little shaved off piece of cork.

2/14/2022 10:38 am  #11

I foresee Glatt taking on corks the way that Happy Monkey conquered tape.

Hey! That's me up there!

2/14/2022 12:35 pm  #12

I don't think I've heard the term "spit valve" before, but it is certainly self-defining, isn't it?

2/15/2022 9:07 am  #13

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I don't think I've heard the term "spit valve" before, but it is certainly self-defining, isn't it?

Whereas I could visualise the whole process from cork to waterproof "water key" (to use the common euphemism).

Living life on the edge.

2/28/2022 1:11 pm  #14

Something tells me it's going to be a very wet March.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Board footera