cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/04/2021 5:31 pm  #1

Sleep Study-- Apnea, etc.

Anyone had a sleep study, or have apnea, cpap?
Going for an initial consultation next week..

I wake up every day feeling like an inert lump of clay,
..and my partners say I sometimes stop breathing, and/or sound like I'm being strangled to death in my sleep.

I've had everything else checked, re: low energy-- my thyroid, b-vitamin levels, testosterone, blood sugar, etc. etc.

I hope they find something.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

11/04/2021 5:49 pm  #2

Re: Sleep Study-- Apnea, etc.

I have had a C-Pap since 19Mar99, and I love it and can not sleep without it. The hardest part of the whole thing is getting all the probes attached to your body everywhere. It dosn't hurt or any thing           so get it done and get on with it.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

11/04/2021 6:05 pm  #3

I did a sleep study, and have used a CPAP for something like 4 years now. Completely changed my life. I don't even take a 30 minute nap without it.

Some bits of advice:

1.) There are a lot of different styles of mask, and some are awful. Your sleep center may or may not have the whole variety for you to try, but you shouldn't necessarily assume that a CPAP won't work for you just because one mask is bad. The one that worked for me is called the Dreamwear Nasal Pillow. You can buy it (and others) online if you want to try some out that your sleep center doesn't carry.

2.) My upper lip sweats a little with the silicone pressed right against it all night, and after a few nights it will give me a rash. Most people's skin isn't as sensitive, but my workaround is to cut a tiny little strip of fabric off an old set of sheets and just stick it between my lip and the mask. Sometimes I lose it in my sleep, and I just cut a new one for the next night.

3.) One of the things that can happen with a CPAP, especially if you need a high pressure to keep your airway open, is a certain amount of air can accidentally get pushed down your throat into your stomach, and you can wake up bloated or with gas pains. This will happen much less if you sleep on your left side, because your stomach opening is on the right--this position keeps it pointed upward, and allows the air to come back out instead of getting trapped. I also keep little chewable Gas-X tablets by the bed just in case.

4.) Again, to reiterate, it changed my life. I wake up actually feeling like I slept. And if I accidentally doze off on the couch or whatever without it, I wake up feeling like complete shit, and am reminded how it used to feel every time I woke up. They are very unsexy, but very much worth it.

11/04/2021 6:18 pm  #4

coo, cool, thank you

now I'm imagining clod's sheets have all these little holes cut in them, lol

11/04/2021 7:29 pm  #5

Yes the C-Pap changed my life for the better.

11/05/2021 5:23 pm  #6

My doctor has ordered a sleep study for me, too.  I find myself resisting it.  I love my sleep time and usually feel rested in the morning... but Twil has also remarked about my snoring and apnea.  Back in the day I had FESS, functional endoscopic sinus surgery, but on one side only to relieve a chronic sinus infection.  It changed half of my life, the right half.  Sleeping on my left side is hit and miss, depending on how congested I am.  Sleeping on my right side, extremely reliable breathing experience.  But I rotate side to side, like most folks... so partly miserable part of the time.  Honestly, I'd rather have the same surgery again, but the other side, hm?

Be Just And Fear Not

11/09/2021 2:29 pm  #7

Clodfobble, and others, fargon?

What exactly comprises a sleep study.  Presumably I'm sleeping, and someone/thing is studying me.  Beyond that (no, I haven't googled it) lies a dark unknown, conducive to sleep, perhaps, but I ain't goin in there if I can't see there, says part of my denialbrain.

What was the actual sleep study like?

TIA

Be Just And Fear Not

11/09/2021 3:20 pm  #8

I haven't had an in-office study yet, but it's basically a little hotel room where you spend the night hooked up to various monitors to measure your oxygen levels, heart rate, brain waves, etc.

11/09/2021 3:45 pm  #9

The "brain waves" part is the big thing--they do a full EEG, meaning they take about 30-45 minutes when you get there attaching a bunch of wired electrodes to your scalp with special glue that's the consistency of wall spackle, and then you try to sleep in an unfamiliar bed with all these wires coming off your head, plus an O2 meter on your finger or toe, plus a little tube on your face that will tell them if/when you stop breathing. It's not strictly necessary to take the next day off from work, but you will not get a good night's sleep. But as long as you drift off for a few hours here and there, they'll get what they need.

Then, assuming they find that you did stop breathing for any significant period of time, you have to come back a couple weeks later for another overnight session, during which they electrode you up again, and this time you sleep with a CPAP, which the monitoring nurse will remotely adjust throughout the night to find the optimum pressure that your CPAP needs to be set at--since you want it high enough to keep your passageway open, but no higher. This is also when you can try out different mask styles. Then you do a followup appointment with the doctor to go over the results, and they actually give you your CPAP machine, set to the pressure you've been "prescribed," to take home.

11/09/2021 4:22 pm  #10

my primary said at the local clinic, if oxygen is bad enough in the 1st half, will put a cpap on you for the rest of the night, avoiding the need for 2nd appt

11/09/2021 7:56 pm  #11

I got my C-Pap in  one visit. And it's just like Clod dexcribed.

11/10/2021 12:13 am  #12

Yeah, I think with mine the deal was that my oxygen never got insanely bad, but that was because I kept waking up slightly in response and never actually truly slept. That's what the EEG is for, to measure your different sleep stages. I actually gained about 10 pounds right after I started using the CPAP, presumably because I wasn't rolling over every 3 minutes all night long anymore.

11/11/2021 12:58 pm  #13

Clodfobble wrote:

It's not strictly necessary to take the next day off from work, but you will not get a good night's sleep. 

I slept fine, but they did kick me out at oh dark thirty, and I missed my exit on my commute to work because it looked so different at that hour.

11/11/2021 6:48 pm  #14

My Office manager just did one at home.  They gave her a kit, showed her how to put it on, it recorded then she returned it the next day.  They decided she needed a cpap.  So that appointment is next

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/12/2021 7:30 pm  #15

Just got my 2nd machine.  Air sense 11.  Nasal pillows.  Sleep like a baby.

My apnea was the cause of high blood pressure and congestive heart failure about 6 years ago.  My fatness was the cause of the apnea.

Much better now.  Less fat, and using a cpap every night.

Do it.

11/12/2021 7:35 pm  #16

Yeah they measured my neck. Apparently having a fat neck puts you at risk, which is something I never thought about tbh

11/13/2021 7:57 pm  #17

I found hooked up to all those wires, laying on my back in a strange bed, uncomfortable and hardly conducive to normal sleep.

A Brit neuroscientist David Plans says:
​Sweet spot for falling asleep from 10 to 11 p.m.
12% greater risk of heart disease falling asleep 11 to 11:59 PM.
25% greater risk of heart disease falling asleep after midnight.
24% greater risk of heart disease falling asleep before 10 PM.
Women were more affected by the after midnight and Men by too early

Now the explanation is bullshit, saying your circadian rhythm your inner clock is violated.
First of all he's making the assumption everyone's clock is the same which isn't true.
He appears to be making the assumption your clock can't be changed, and anyone who has worked shift work
for any length of time can tell you it can.
Now if I habitually go to sleep at 2 AM and have to get up at 6 to make a living, then yes, I'm doing damage.
But Going to sleep at 2AM and don't have to get up until 10AM what's the difference from sleeping 10PM to 6 AM?

This may be a case of NBC new grabbing highlights and sending a distorted message.
FOX isn't the only one that screws up the stories.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/aging/falling-asleep-time-may-safest-heart-new-study-shows-rcna4887

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/11/2022 4:36 pm  #18

Been wearing my mask at night for 1+ month now and I definitely feel better in the mornings and more able to focus. Soon I'll be doing a home oximeter test to confirm my oxygen levels aren't tanking during the night, like they were before.

I was having some kind of sleep disruption 50 times an hour, and oxygen going down to 80%. I had been waking at night snoring/not breathing and/or waking up with heart racing and body flooded with stress hormones, all these things aren't happening anymore.

2/11/2022 5:12 pm  #19

That's good it only gets better from here. My C-Pap changed my life.

2/12/2022 1:34 pm  #20

That's awesome!

2/12/2022 3:36 pm  #21

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

This may be a case of NBC new grabbing highlights and sending a distorted message.

Message is only distorted when one does not read (comprehend) ten plus paragraphs.  Unfortunately, many do not have the attention span to see a major fact in that report:  

The new study didn't look at wake-up times along with sleep onset, but the American Heart Association’s primary prevention guidelines suggest that people who sleep less than six hours are at risk for hypertension, which is a major cardiovascular risk factor, she said.

Many who go to sleep late must still get up at the same time due to sun, noise, occupation, and other factors.  Many who go to sleep too late need an alarm clock to wake them up.  If getting sufficient sleep, one wakes up without that alarm.  Study, apparently, did not mention that relevant factor.  And so, did the reporter overlook that possible factor in the report?

The report also says:  

Still, she said, the findings need to be taken with a grain of salt. The new research shows an association but doesn't prove that falling asleep either later or earlier than the hour from 10 to 11 p.m. causes heart disease. Other factors may be the real culprits, such as stress, anxiety and depression, she said.

So the report did not make any conclusions.  The report only said indications exist that something significant might be discovered here.  All sixteen paragraphs must be read.

Of course, those extremists typically never get byond a paragraph of two.  Would then make conclusions from what was only a summary of possibilities.

Another example of why those, educated by tweets and soundbytes, can lie to themselves.

Last edited by tw (2/12/2022 3:39 pm)

3/01/2022 3:03 pm  #22

My sleep is better quality, but I need to get more hours of sleep. I can tell the difference in focus and concentration between 6 hour and 7 hours.

Last night I went to bed 8.5 hours before my alarm, allowing for 30 minutes to fall asleep. But then I woke up two hours before my alarm. Maybe I fell into the gap between deep sleep cycles.? Today I'm foggy and tired.

I'm going to keep trying to get more hours of sleep, mainly because it's a huge factor in building new muscle tissue (for a natural lifter). Apparently benefits can continue even after 8 hours-- some high level athletes sleep 9-10 hours. Ryan Reynolds said he slept 9 hours a night to get into "Deadpool" shape.

5/14/2022 6:16 pm  #23

The other primates sleep more than we do,
Maybe because their only pressure not to is danger or hunger.
They don't even have to get up to pee.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera