cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2022 6:22 pm  #1

Have you had covid?

I'm nosy, is all.  It's quite high round here right now, and mostly vaccinated people. A few of my friends have caught it for the first time in the last few weeks.  They're saying it's extremely unpleasant. And almost all got it from their kids from daycare or school. I am still a covirgin, but I practically live alone and am not your up-close-and-personal type.

Please don't turn this into yet another argument about vaccination, masks and stuff -just answer the question (or not) and maybe make an anecdotal comment about your experience. thank you 

The Covid have you had?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/02/2022 6:33 pm  #2

Re: Have you had covid?

I do live alone and don't leave except for home improvement, vet, and grocery stores.  I also still wear a mask at 99% of the places I go to.  I've got a supply of covid tests, though, just in case

6/02/2022 7:36 pm  #3

Had it back this past fall.  Took the infusion thang, and 48 hrs later was back to normal.  Wendy's chili was the only thing that tasted like it should.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

6/02/2022 9:05 pm  #4

bbro wrote:

I .  I've got a supply of covid tests, though, just in case

oh me too, me too

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/02/2022 9:11 pm  #5

bbro wrote:

I also still wear a mask at 99% of the places I go to. 

I don't.  I wear one if the people I'm with are more comfortable that way, or if I'm in a small enclosed space with people for more than 5 mins, but that's it.  And the latter rarely happens.  masks cause me issues in many ways. I hate having things anywhere on my head, and my skin is so sensitive and thin that they always cause a rash or irritation of some sort.

6/02/2022 9:15 pm  #6

monster wrote:

bbro wrote:

I also still wear a mask at 99% of the places I go to. 

I don't.  I wear one if the people I'm with are more comfortable that way, or if I'm in a small enclosed space with people for more than 5 mins, but that's it.  And the latter rarely happens.  masks cause me issues in many ways. I hate having things anywhere on my head, and my skin is so sensitive and thin that they always cause a rash or irritation of some sort.

I also had no idea I ?lipread so much when I'm listening to people -my hearing was tested recently and it's way above average ... but I can barely understand what people are saying when they are wearing a mask -I've wondered if it might be how I deal with the accent thing

6/03/2022 12:45 am  #7

Thankfully I haven't fallen victim to the plague but I suppose there's still time.
Not being a social butterfly, and avoiding the Great British Public whenever possible, must have helped to keep it at bay.
It's been a question of adapting my usual routines to avoid winter flu.

On a side note, I mentioned to a couple of neighbours that Dad had had his fourth vaccination, and both asked if I'd had mine.
I reminded them, through gritted teeth, that it was only for those aged over seventy-five.
I know I'm not wearing very well, but c'mon...

Last edited by Carruthers (6/03/2022 8:15 am)

6/03/2022 6:41 am  #8

I've tested a couple times when I have had symptoms in the past, including the expensive tests, and always negative.  Is it allergies or covid?  That's been something I've asked myself off and on over the last few months.  Probably allergies.  So I don't think I've had it.

I went to a super-spreader event without a mask about a month ago and chatted with travelers from all over the world, but by coincidence had received a 4th shot 1 week prior, so was at peak immunity.  A couple people at that event later reported coming down with it, but I did not have any symptoms later.

I ride a fairly crowded subway a couple times a week, and wear a surgical mask, but don't wear a mask at work.  I wear the surgical mask into stores and such.  I hate how uncomfortable N95s and KN95s are, so don't wear those anymore.

6/03/2022 7:12 am  #9

The covid I have not had. I wear a KN95 when working with kids. I keep one with me for crowded situations but I wear it much less than I did. I'm fully boosted. I haven't looked at the local numbers lately but am still seeing cases in my client's families and classrooms. A guardian Grandmother I worked with died last week. She was initially hospitalized with covid but then had a cascade of other issues some pre-existing.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/03/2022 11:39 am  #10

Had 2nd booster (I'm 80) and still wear masks in crowded places.  Tested once to make sure I had the instructions figured.
A couple of weeks ago in a store, an unkempt, unmasked woman gave off two huge phlegmy coughs just as I passed her.  I made sure my mask was tight and worried off and on for a week.
I don't know if the worst is yet to come, but more and different is.
I kind of like the idea of the traditionally developed vaccine announced today.

6/03/2022 7:17 pm  #11

monster wrote:

bbro wrote:

I .  I've got a supply of covid tests, though, just in case

oh me too, me too

I'm half tempted to use one......just cause 

6/04/2022 6:13 am  #12

Neither me nor Mr Limey have had covid yet. He works with the great unwashed, so we are rather surprised to have got away unscathed so far.
We have had 3 jags, and no longer wear masks when out and about, but I would if someone asked me to so have a (cloth) mask in a pocket with me.
We have been to two music rehearsal weekends recently from which someone later reported that they had tested positive for covid after getting home. In each case it was someone one of us had been sitting quite close to for extended (rehearsals of 90 minutes at a time) periods. But ... so far, so good ...

Last edited by Limey (6/04/2022 6:14 am)

Living life on the edge.

6/04/2022 11:14 am  #13

I've had a Mark 2 3.8 and an XK 140. 
A D Type would make an excellent third.

6/04/2022 8:14 pm  #14

I had significant symptoms (despite vaccination) immediately after exposure to Minifob, who definitely had it at the time, but I didn't waste a test so I can't be 100% certain. Mr. Clod (same level of vaccination) had no symptoms with effectively the same level of exposure.

6/06/2022 12:10 pm  #15

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Sorry folks and Limey, that was just a poor joke about her typo of  "3 jags" for "3 jabs."

An addition to my Covid experience is, knocking on wood, that I have no friends, acquaintances, or family who has been diagnosed with it.
A few friends of friends (degrees of separation, etc.), yes. 
That question might make a good addendum to the poll. 

6/06/2022 1:06 pm  #16

Last decade, fear was of zombies - version 1.  Today it is that nice, clean, innocent looking person spreading death upon the unknown.   Zombie version 2.

6/06/2022 1:35 pm  #17

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Sorry folks and Limey, that was just a poor joke about her typo of  "3 jags" for "3 jabs."

It's my understanding that, in Scotland, jabs are known as 'jags'. (I'm at the other end of the Kingdom).

I'm sure Limey will be able to give us a definitive answer.

6/06/2022 5:08 pm  #18

Isn't Three Jags the son of John Prescott?

Yes Jabs can be referred to as Jags further up north.

6/06/2022 5:20 pm  #19

monster wrote:

Brilliant!

6/07/2022 12:10 pm  #20

Boy, that should teach me!  But it probably won't.

6/07/2022 5:39 pm  #21

Carruthers wrote:

monster wrote:

Brilliant!

Why thank you! (proof I really am a Brit, right? ;) ) 

6/08/2022 5:37 pm  #22

All coool Diaphone! My favourite Jag would be an XJS.Yes, jags are jabs in Scotland.

Living life on the edge.

6/10/2022 12:01 am  #23

Carruthers wrote:

On a side note, I mentioned to a couple of neighbours that Dad had had his fourth vaccination, and both asked if I'd had mine.
I reminded them, through gritted teeth, that it was only for those aged over seventy-five.

Really, have to be 75 there? Is that for the boosters?
I was in Philly last week and in the Chinatown area it looked like 90% on the people on the street were wearing masks.
Easy to see why jab and jag are interchangeable...
jag1  /jaɡ/
See definitions in:
All. Alcoholic · Informal, Narcotics · Informal, Motoring · Informal, Law

noun - plural noun: jags
a sharp projection.
Similar:
sharp projection, point, snag, jagged bit, barb, thorn, tooth, spur, sticky-out bit

verb
3rd person present: jags
stab, pierce, or prick.
"she jagged herself in the mouth"

Origin
late Middle English (in the sense ‘stab, pierce’): perhaps symbolic of sudden movement or unevenness (compare with jam1 and rag1).

jag2  /jaɡ/
noun  plural noun: jags
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
a bout of unrestrained activity or emotion, especially drinking, crying, or laughing.
"an incredible crying jag"
DIALECT
a bundle.
"a jag of hay"

Origin
late 16th century (in jag2 (sense 2)): of unknown origin. In the late 18th century the sense was ‘portion, quantity’, later ‘as much alcohol as one can hold’, hence ‘a binge’. jag2 (sense 1) dates from the early 20th century.

Jag  /jaɡ/
noun
INFORMAL
plural noun: Jags
a Jaguar car.
"an E-type Jag"

Origin
1950s: abbreviation.

JAG plural noun: JAGs
abbreviation
Judge Advocate General.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/10/2022 3:17 am  #24

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Carruthers wrote:

Really, have to be 75 there? Is that for the boosters?

Yes, the national program is for three jabs for everyone plus a booster for the over 75s.

6/10/2022 5:14 am  #25

Over 75s and extremely vulnerable. I'd have thought you, Carruthers, could blag jag 4 by being your dad's carer, no?
Meanwhile, around 30% of the households on Easdale are currently admitting to housing a Covid sufferer ... Mr Limey and I have got off so far unscathed but I fear it is a matter of time.

Last edited by Limey (6/10/2022 5:15 am)

Living life on the edge.

Board footera