cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2022 5:38 am  #26

Re: Have you had covid?

Limey wrote:

Over 75s and extremely vulnerable. I'd have thought you, Carruthers, could blag jag 4 by being your dad's carer, no?

I hadn't thought of that.
I suppose that my (comparative) youthfulness plus three jabs is considered a sufficient level of protection in this instance.
When the nurse came to give Dad his booster she didn't offer me one.
However, when he had his flu jab, again at home, I was offered one at the same time which I accepted.

ETA Come to think of it, there was a gap between Dad's first jab and my first of about six weeks.
Thankfully bullets were dodged in the interval!

Last edited by Carruthers (6/10/2022 5:47 am)

6/10/2022 7:02 am  #27

Limey wrote:

Meanwhile, around 30% of the households on Easdale are currently admitting to housing a Covid sufferer ... Mr Limey and I have got off so far unscathed but I fear it is a matter of time.

New post as too many edits in the last one and, anyway, lunch has intervened.

The figure you quote, Limey, is eyebrow raising.
I looked at the ever reliable Wikipedia entry for your island and see that the population is recorded as fifty-nine souls.
Any ideas how it has spread? Does the island get a lot of visitors or traders?

The number of Covid cases in Aylesbury Vale and High Wycombe was worrying but I only know of two people who caught it.
My neighbour's youngest teenage lad caught it presumably through school.
Mrs Neighbour also tested positive on a different occasion but she is a hospital worker so probably picked it up there.
Neither of them were particularly badly hit and Mrs Neighbour was able to work from home for a week or so
And in the last few minutes the TV News has just announced that there was a total in excess of 900,000 cases of the Omicron strain in the UK last week.

From the BBC:

There are early signs of a possible increase in the number of people testing positive for Covid in England and Northern Ireland, officials from the Office for National Statistics say.
Their report suggests the small rise is likely to be driven by the BA.4 and BA.5 variants of Omicron.
Studies show these variants may be able to spread slightly more easily than "older" Omicron variants.
The latest estimates suggest around 990,000 people in the UK have Covid.That is about 1.5% of the population (roughly one in 65 people) - up from about one in 70 the week before.
The latest data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) covers the week ending 2 June.

BBC link

ETA Quote and link.

Last edited by Carruthers (6/10/2022 9:53 am)

6/11/2022 5:25 pm  #28

I may have over-estimated.
There was a birthday party.
Several household work for the same company in close quarters.

Living life on the edge.

6/11/2022 7:06 pm  #29

Carruthers wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Carruthers wrote:

On a side note, I mentioned to a couple of neighbours that Dad had had his fourth vaccination, and both asked if I'd had mine.
I reminded them, through gritted teeth, that it was only for those aged over seventy-five.
I know I'm not wearing very well, but c'mon...

Really, have to be 75 there? Is that for the boosters?

Yes, the national program is for three jabs for everyone plus a booster for the over 75s..

.over 50 here.  I've had 4..

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/12/2022 12:27 pm  #30

I've had 4 also.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

7/02/2022 9:13 pm  #31

Have I had Covid?

Yes.

Details here, sorry I've forgotten how to make a nice looking link

https://cellar.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=18183#p18183

Last edited by BigV (7/02/2022 9:18 pm)

Be Just And Fear Not

7/10/2022 8:05 am  #32

It finally got me. Tested positive yesterday with a pale pink line.
This, in local island styleee, is a week after Mr Limey got it, and after he has already recovered and returned to work. Seems to be the pattern here. Isolating from each other in this house is not feasible as the total internal area of the house is around 78 sq.m.
We've both had three jags.

Living life on the edge.

7/10/2022 10:13 am  #33

Limey wrote:

It finally got me. Tested positive yesterday with a pale pink line.
This, in local island styleee, is a week after Mr Limey got it, and after he has already recovered and returned to work. Seems to be the pattern here. Isolating from each other in this house is not feasible as the total internal area of the house is around 78 sq.m.
We've both had three jags.

Sorry to hear that, Limey. Get well soon.

The BBC reported two days ago that there were  approx 2.7m cases in the UK w/e 29th June an increase of 420,000 from the week before.
I must admit to being somewhat sceptical of those statistics, being based on a survey of random participants rather than recorded cases. But what do I know?

All age groups saw a rise in infections, in the latest figures. A rise was also seen in all UK nations and in all English regions.
The biggest rises were in Wales and Northern Ireland, where infections were up by around 40% on the previous week.
But overall, infections are higher in Scotland than anywhere else in the UK, 1 in 17 people in Scotland had the virus last week, compared to 1 in 25 in the UK as a whole.
The survey is thought to give the best picture of infections across the UK because people are selected to take part at random.
Survey participants across the country are tested weekly and there is a lag of several days before the figures are published.

I said to Dad at the time that the weekly totals of infections must, by now, tot up to a total greater than that of the population. So how many people have suffered twice, or more?

So far we've both managed to dodge the Covid bullet. Now there's hostage to fortune if there ever was one.
Dad is pretty much housebound and I'm not a social butterfly so those two things must have helped.
However, I'm aware how easily the infection spreads. A neighbour tested positive last week on return from a trip working in another European country.
He was only away for a couple of days and given the timescale it appears unlikely that he caught it on either the outbound or inbound flight so it seems he was infected immediately before travel, the symptoms appearing about three days later.
He's had a full quota of vaccinations so the wretched peril, in some form or other, doesn't show any signs of giving up.

Anyway, Dad has a hospital appointment later this week and we're required to take a Covid test which I'll carry out immediately before.
I think that we'll be OK before, I just hope that we're OK after.

Facts and figures at the BBC.

Last edited by Carruthers (7/17/2022 4:35 am)

7/17/2022 4:47 am  #34

As mentioned above, Dad had a hospital out patient appointment this week and we both took tests beforehand which, I'm pleased to say, were negative.
Both of us wore surgical masks as did the nurse who saw Dad.
I mentioned the statistics below which are something of a concern:

Four days on, neither of us show any signs of having picked up an infection so I just hope that we can continue our Covid free status.
That said, I'm not under any illusion about the likelihood of either of us getting it.

Updated BBC article.

Board footera