cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2022 1:37 am  #1

Homosexual Animals

To me homosexual behavior would be between humans, because Homo like Soylent Green is people.
But Wiki uses homosexual behavior and bisexual behavior for other animals too.
Even if it isn't scientifically or grammatically correct most people would grasp the meaning.

Wiki has a list of animals that have been observed exhibiting one of those two behaviors, some more strongly than others. Every damn animal on the list had one or more links(Lion had 4 or 5) which I left off but you can easily go to Wiki if you're curious.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (6/10/2022 1:44 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/10/2022 11:41 am  #2

Re: Homosexual Animals

Homo means "same" as well as "man" or "human"
It would make the long list longer, but shouldn't "animal" include birds and fish, not just mammals?

6/10/2022 1:50 pm  #3

What about Insects and Aracnids they demand to be included in this also.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

6/11/2022 12:12 am  #4

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Homo means "same" as well as "man" or "human"
It would make the long list longer, but shouldn't "animal" include birds and fish, not just mammals?

Same? Where the hell does that come from it's not in any of the dictionaries I can find online.
OK, I found it, Greek prefix in biology. Since I ain't talking Greek it's superfluous to the post. Homo R Us.
This list is OBSERVED and described in a linkable location. If you want to add an insect or fish, observe and write.
Fuck it.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/18/2022 10:58 am  #5

Not just biology.  It's the etymology of "homogenize", "homogeneous" or "homonym".

6/18/2022 10:09 pm  #6

Happy Monkey wrote:

Not just biology.  It's the etymology of "homogenize", "homogeneous" or "homonym".

this.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/18/2022 10:12 pm  #7

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/19/2022 12:07 am  #8

I will say (not having read that book) that associating homosexuality with flamboyance probably is a homo-as-in-human thing.

6/19/2022 3:36 pm  #9

There are tons of examples where a prefix means one thing in its Latin root, and another in its Greek. Ped- means "foot" in Latin, which is where we get pedal, pedestrian, centipede. But in Greek ped- means "child," which is where we get pediatrician, pedantic, pedophile. (Annoyingly, "foot" in Greek is the only slightly different pod-, which is where we get podiatrist and podium. English is stupid.)

Board footera