cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2022 2:28 pm  #352

Re: The Covid

That makes sense, your body has already learned to get along on less oxygen.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/15/2022 9:41 pm  #353

glatt wrote:

That's interesting.  I wonder about the reliability of any of this data.  Clearly, early on in the first months, the Covid rates were somewhat unreliable because test kits in hospitals were in short supply.  Then the data got good once we had kits. Now I wonder about Covid rate reliability because people are testing at home and not always sharing their results.  I also wonder about mask usage rates.  How are they getting that number?  Self reported? If I were asked, I would say that I'm good about wearing a mask because I wear them on Metro and in the grocery store.  But I don't always wear them out in public.  I've been going to restaurants more and you don't wear them then,  I imagine Japan is the same. I imagine they mostly wear masks, but consider themselves mask wearers.   It only takes a moment being mask free, and you can get infected and that would explain the rise in 2022.  Plus I'm hearing the new variant spreads outside readily. And that's when even mask wearers take them off.

all that, plus:

having a two year head start on the tsunami if cases inbound to your healthcare systems, hospitals, mask acquisition/vaccine infrastructure/culture shift is *priceless*.

the best benefit we experieced with mask *mandates* and other cultural earthquakes was to delay the CRUSH of people entering hospitals because they couldn't breathe.

Be Just And Fear Not

8/16/2022 9:34 am  #354

The tricky thing about the above chart, though, is that those assigned to the "mandate" vs. "no-mandate" groups were self-selected, not random. I'm reminded of a study on tonsillectomies, where one researcher was lambasting them as a waste of time, because his data showed that post-tonsillectomy children "still" had an average of one sore throat a year, which was the same as children who hadn't had a tonsillectomy. Except the children who got tonsillectomies weren't random, they did it because they had a problem, and further examination of the data by a different researcher did indeed reveal that prior to their tonsillectomies, those specific children were having an average of like 12 sore throats a year, and it was actually a huge success story that they had been brought down to the average of just one per year.

It's all incredibly complicated, so who's to say--but it's possible that if higher-risk areas were the ones that chose to mandate masks, then it could actually be great news that they brought their case numbers down to being equivalent to the low-risk areas.

8/16/2022 5:30 pm  #355

Germany has about 232 people per square kilometer.  Sweden has about 23 people per square kilometer.  Airborne diseases are much deadlier in denser urban environments.

8/18/2022 7:55 am  #356

The term "urbanization" can be subjective.  How many people per square kilometer is high enough to be urbanized?  Curiously, UTs numbers are consistent across many different sources.  Apparently there must be a standard for the term 'urbanization'.    UTs numbers are quite consistent from many sources.

9/06/2022 8:27 pm  #357

PSA: I got the Moderna bivalent COVID-19 booster shot and the Fluzone high-dose quadrivalent Influenza shot today (one in each arm) and I haven't noticed any significant side effectsIt's all available now. Get yours while the getting is good! - Mr. S.E. Xobon.

9/17/2022 11:27 am  #358

PSA ADDENDUM: I hope you acted in a timely fashion if your preference is for Moderna:

Want the new COVID-19 vaccine booster? No problem, unless it's got to be Moderna

10/20/2022 4:38 pm  #359

I had the Covid booster (Pfizer) twelve days ago and the doctor who gave me the jab impressed upon me the need to have a flu shot as well.
She said it was a particularly unpleasant variant that had done its worst in the southern hemisphere and was on its way north.
A few days later, the nurse from the local health centre came out to do Dad's flu vaccination and she gave me mine as well.
So, there I am, replete with all the defences to fend off Covid and Flu (strains, various) and I get a bloody cold!
I thought at first that it might be a reaction to the flu shot but I'm pretty sure that it's a stand alone cold.
There is all manner of preventative medicine to repel plague, pestilence and pox but still nothing that works against the common cold.

I am not amused!

10/21/2022 6:46 am  #360

I took one in each arm. The little people are swimming in RSV right now, but Covid is low in the County I serve so I don't have to mask up for work this week.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/21/2022 1:04 pm  #361

I just got Covid in one arm and flu in the other. I told them I wanted two of each, but they balked at the suggestion.

Didn't want me to become too powerful, I guess, like Larry Hagman..

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

10/21/2022 8:56 pm  #362

Carruthers wrote:

I had the Covid booster (Pfizer) twelve days ago and the doctor who gave me the jab impressed upon me the need to have a flu shot as well.
She said it was a particularly unpleasant variant that had done its worst in the southern hemisphere and was on its way north.
A few days later, the nurse from the local health centre came out to do Dad's flu vaccination and she gave me mine as well.
So, there I am, replete with all the defences to fend off Covid and Flu (strains, various) and I get a bloody cold!
I thought at first that it might be a reaction to the flu shot but I'm pretty sure that it's a stand alone cold.
There is all manner of preventative medicine to repel plague, pestilence and pox but still nothing that works against the common cold.

I am not amused!

This Dr prescribes booze and early bed.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/22/2022 4:48 am  #363

monster wrote:

Carruthers wrote:

I am not amused!

This Dr prescribes booze and early bed.

Not something I would normally admit to in polite company, but I'm teetotal.

10/22/2022 8:48 pm  #364

then hot chocolate and early bed.

But if you're choctotal, we totally can't be friends any more ;)

Last edited by monster (10/22/2022 8:49 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/23/2022 5:36 am  #365

Team Coffee-total here.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/23/2022 10:53 pm  #366

I'm idiototal.  Thank goodness for Teh Cellar where I can bitch about them..... 

12/20/2022 3:27 pm  #367

Free COVID tests from the government are available again for mailing to you now. Order them through USPS: https://special.usps.com/testkits

Mr. S.E. Xobon.

12/20/2022 5:39 pm  #368

I ordered some.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

12/21/2022 6:54 am  #369

I'm dipping into my stockpile because of reasons... I placed my order last week.

12/21/2022 12:23 pm  #370

Do you suppose they expire?  I made a habit out of picking one from most free piles I passed.  

12/21/2022 1:18 pm  #371

Ordered. I have to test every time I call in sick to work.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

12/21/2022 4:31 pm  #372

They have expirations dates.  Whether they actually expire or not is a good question. 

People are still shooting on old Polaroid film that expired decades ago (with mixed results.)  I assume this is similar.

12/21/2022 9:13 pm  #373

COVID tests generally have a shelf life of 6 to 24 months depending on manufacturer and lot number. There are expiration dates on them; however, the FDA may have extended some of those shelf lives and expiration dates. The FDA publishes that information. An example of those tables for tests that expired earlier this month; but, were extended into next year:

The FDA's comprehensive list of approved at-home tests with shelf lives, original expiration dates and extended expiration dates is here:

List of Authorized At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests

For tests beyond even extended expiration dates and non-approved tests, you're on your own.

Mr. S.E. Xobon

1/13/2023 9:46 am  #374

The county I work in just dropped to from high to medium community levels. So we got that going for us.

1/14/2023 10:57 pm  #375

Yes but when you;re in the Gators jaws the statistics on how many and the odds against, don't seem relevant.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera