cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2022 4:42 pm  #1

1 in 5 deaths of US adults aged 20 to 49 is from excessive drinking

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/01/health/drinking-deaths-us-study-wellness/index.html
I used to binge a long time ago. I chose to stop cold turkey because once started I had no brakes. YMMV. It seems like we live in a deeply unhappy society. I'd say our economy, religions, and politics all play a part.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/02/2022 5:29 pm  #2

Re: 1 in 5 deaths of US adults aged 20 to 49 is from excessive drinking

I was going home every day and drinking a couple glasses of hard cider with shots of liquor in it, 7 days a week with anxiety pills also. I've stopped both because some of my liver and kidney numbers were not on the good end of the normal scale. I feel the doom of a collapsing society weighing down on me, and especially, my poor kids. Everything is going downhill fast. The situation for a normal working-class person gets harder and harder, and they just keep ratcheting down on it with no end in sight. We don't have a representative democracy, and we've probably got a few months left before the fascists set up permanent shop. The planetary ecosystem is collapsing and we're barely doing anything about it.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

11/03/2022 6:02 am  #3

I can't argue with that. I hear talk of "reforming" Social Security by raising the retirement age at the same time that American's life expectancy is falling. Doing the work I do, I meet plenty of Grandparents broken by years living on the knife's edge, who are left taking care of the little people when their kids and grandkids break under the strain. Watching workers in shit jobs get blamed for worldwide inflation is the icing on the damn cake.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/03/2022 9:48 am  #4

I hear that. There is a 70-something working class woman in our extended family who is currently raising a "grandchild," except the kid is actually the abandoned daughter of her dead son's ex-girlfriend (they became exes before his death, it's not the son's kid, and both her son and the kid's mom had drug/alcohol/mental health problems.) There is no legal paperwork for this--she just literally had this unrelated kid dumped on her years ago and has been rolling with it ever since. Everyone who hears about it is like "why??" and her only response is "because no one else is going to."

1/14/2023 11:10 pm  #5

An hour ago there was an ad on TV for a rehab center, might have been a chain as I wasn't paying close attention, But at the end the guy says there are 100,000 alcohol dependent people in the US.
I'M saying is that all?? Out of 330 million?? Sounds low to me, maybe 100,000 who are alcohol dependent and can afford that place.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/15/2023 6:36 am  #6

That seems really low, maybe kids are going straight to fentanyl.

1/15/2023 9:37 pm  #7

Well thank goodness I'm safe now I'm 52!

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/27/2023 6:28 am  #8

3/28/2023 5:43 pm  #9

monster wrote:

Well thank goodness I'm safe now I'm 52!

In my current state, I'm feeling a little left out....

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/28/2023 9:07 pm  #10

griff wrote:

That seems really low, maybe kids are going straight to fentanyl.

For two years in a row, the American life expectancy has dropped.  As it has increased in every other western nation.  Research indicates this is happening due to most every reason.  Alcohol is only one.  Drugs are another. Guns also are causing more deaths.  Across all age groups except one.  Seventy year olds are not seeing this reduction in life expectancy.

3/29/2023 6:20 am  #11

We aren't even getting kids through childhood.

3/29/2023 10:36 pm  #12

However.....

85% of adult deaths in the US are due to excessive statistics.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/30/2023 2:33 pm  #13

monster wrote:

However.....

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

3/31/2023 5:56 am  #14

*chortle*

3/31/2023 7:07 am  #15

monster wrote:

Always blame the messenger.

Being a mailman is also dangerous.  We simply call it by a different name - going postal.

Board footera