cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2023 3:57 pm  #1

Winter Hike!

Headed up to John's Brook Lodge at the end of the week with a bunch of ADK Mountain Club folks. I'm hoping to do Upper Wolf's Jaw and Armstrong which would get me past the half way point on my 46 peaks. Of course, Pete has done all the Peaks in this part of the High Peaks.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/26/2023 5:22 pm  #2

Re: Winter Hike!

Walter Hinkel

last July.

Never mind.

2/26/2023 8:30 pm  #3

serious gear! looks like fun

2/27/2023 7:03 am  #4

Yeah, we've been slowly adding gear and getting used to it. The new things are the ice axes. We've been watching training videos and fortunately we're going with some folks who have ax experience so we're hoping to pick up some knowledge. It's looking like a snowy week up there, I'm excited to do some snow shoeing.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/02/2023 6:34 pm  #5

See you guys next week barring disaster!

3/06/2023 7:19 am  #6

Good snowy time up North. The folks from the Mountain Club were all excellent people. We did Lower Wolfjaw from JBL on Saturday. We picked up a foot or so of snow on top of the existing pack so it was a snow drift battle to the top. The trail markers were missing or under the snow for the last 1/4 mile. We had a biathlon athlete and a guy who did the 46 Peaks in 10 days which is insane. Those two conquered most of the big drifts. I landed in the 2 hole for the peak stretch spotting line to find the trail. (See surveying wasn't a complete waste of time.) Since the group was heavy on engineers,  one guy had to set up his packable ham radio kit on the peak for some kind of ham operator peak challenge which turns out to be a thing.

3/06/2023 7:21 am  #7

Looking for that Peppermint Mine.

3/06/2023 7:23 am  #8

Peak activity...

3/08/2023 6:24 pm  #9

You need to tell Lola Bunny about the ham radio peaks challenge thing. She's into ham radio with her fella.
ETA: Nice pix by the way

Last edited by Limey (3/08/2023 6:24 pm)

Living life on the edge.

3/08/2023 6:36 pm  #10

you can radio for ham when out in the snow?  How about beef, I don't eat ham...?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/09/2023 7:13 am  #11

Amazon will drop ship all the meats! I forgot Lola was into that.

Board footera