cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2023 8:09 am  #1

Mental Health and Divorcing Yourself from Reality : For Profit?

https://baptistnews.com/article/the-new-apostolic-reformation-drove-the-january-6-riots-so-why-was-it-overlooked-by-the-house-select-committee/

Ana Mendez, who was considered a prophet, claimed she had a vision that a demon known as the Queen of Heaven had an ice castle on Mount Everest and God was calling her to go to Everest for spiritual battle. Wagner believed her vision and supported the trip. So in 1997, a group of 26 prophetic intercessors spent three weeks doing spiritual warfare on Mount Everest in “Operation Ice Castle.”

While some of the team stayed at the Everest View Hotel to pray at 13,000 feet, and others ascended to the Everest Base Camp at 18,000 feet, Wagner wrote in his book Confronting the Queen of Heaven that Ana’s team “which had taken professional alpine training in Mexico and Peru before leaving, scaled the ice cliffs and crossed bottomless crevasses, climbing to 20,000 feet.”

“Our assignment from God was to take down the foundations of The Great Babylon, the harlot over many waters, which supported the false religious systems of the world,” Ana said. “He clearly showed us where we should go for our prophetic act by revealing a large, brown stone formation, completely surrounded by walls of ice resembling a castle, and shaped exactly like an idol of the Queen of Heaven. This seat of the Mother of the Universe was 20,000 feet high, and to get there we had to cross the ice fall, the most dangerous part of the Everest ascent, with no guide but him and no help from other than angels.”

How to get your flock to fund your Mount Everest attempt?

Last edited by griff (5/22/2023 8:11 am)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/22/2023 10:44 am  #2

Re: Mental Health and Divorcing Yourself from Reality : For Profit?

She should take a course in "Screen Writing".  When the strike is over, she can reap good money.

5/22/2023 11:48 am  #3

I think often about how the similarities between a cult leader and an author*

I've been playing around with a story idea and doing some intense world-building. I've gotten to the point of realizing that, just as a character needs a setting in order to come to life, a setting needs a reason to exist, such that--in the case of a Philip K. Dick styled "man versus reality" conflict--it can't be made believable without having a robust epistemology. I've been thinking so deeply about building a believable and fully-featured world, including fictional belief systems and sociological phenomenon, that it has occurred to me, I'm basically just writing a religion.

*like L Ron Hubbard, who progressed through sci-fi, to Dianetics, to Scientology

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

5/22/2023 6:07 pm  #4

Rich world building would seem to demand some kind of religion if we're including humans as it seems to be something a percentage of these bipeds want.

One of my Dads wanted to talk about religion today. He just wants everyone to get along. He's apparently kind of a liberal follower of Islam. My only concern is that he's blaming the devil for tricking folks into bad behavior instead of making assholes own their bad behavior. We both want folks to treat each other as brothers. Religion can simplify or complicate I guess.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/22/2023 9:21 pm  #5

I'm trying to write a future that isn't a utopia or a dystopia, but just a continuous series of human foibles. Technology, war, religion, they'll all carry on, perhaps novel or unrecognizable in form, but also remaining adamantly reflective of some deep and unchanging aspect of human nature-- the truthfulness of the depiction of which equates to the reader's overall perception that the imagined events are happening in a "real" place and time.

It's hard to imagine that there wouldn't be people just like your liberally Islamic Dad-man.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

5/22/2023 9:35 pm  #6

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."
Adam Savage Mythbusters,
Me too.

Last edited by fargon (5/22/2023 9:36 pm)

I Love my country, I fear the government.

5/22/2023 9:54 pm  #7

First two (of seven) commandments said everything:

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.

And so the sheep constant chant said what only matters:

Four Legs Good, Two Legs Bad

It must be true.  So many sheep say so constantly.  Religion cannot be wrong.

And then the sheep bleated for five minutes:

Four Legs Good, Two Legs Better

It must be true.  Constant chanting said so. Religion cannot be wrong.

5/31/2023 11:21 am  #8

TW posting (multiple times) in a thread about mental health and divorcement from reality is absolutely priceless.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

8/12/2023 1:03 am  #9

griff wrote:

We both want folks to treat each other as brothers.

Are you nuts? Do you have brothers? 
The only thing meaner than a brother is a big sister. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/12/2023 7:49 am  #10

To bring it full circle I'm watching my brother's four legger this weekend.

Board footera