cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2020 6:41 pm  #1

Welp, here we go...

I'm sick. A few isolated coughs here and there, and a low fever since first thing this morning, fluctuating between 99.5 and 100. Mild congestion for the past week, too, but that was probably just allergies.

Mostly I feel fine, just a little on edge for obvious reasons. Drive-through testing is available around here, but appointments are 2-3 days out right now. I haven't actually committed to one anyway, because it doesn't seem like especially pertinent information--even if it's negative, the risk of a false negative means I'd be quarantining anyway. Seems better to save it for when I'm past obvious symptoms, to find out if I'm still contagious.

Not like I needed an excuse to stay in my room in my pajamas all day, but now I have one.

11/21/2020 7:31 pm  #2

Re: Welp, here we go...

I'm sorry.  It sounds like the only benefits of getting tested at this point would be to help with research data and if knowing for (almost) sure if you get a positive might actually help you in some way

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/21/2020 8:11 pm  #3

Yeah, about the only benefit that a positive test could have for me is to perhaps speed up my entry into the hospital, if I should need to go. But I've heard most hospitals around here are just assuming everyone who walks in is positive.

11/21/2020 9:42 pm  #4

Clodfobble wrote:

Not like I needed an excuse to stay in my room in my pajamas all day, but now I have one.

Even though catching the virus would very likely be fatal for me, I'd love to be in your pajamas.  

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/21/2020 10:29 pm  #5

Good luck.  Hope it runs its course quickly, and your family stays healthy.

Test appointments are about a week out here. And then the results take a week to get back. Not ideal.

It’s funny how super mild symptoms are cause for concern these days. I’ve had mild congestion for a week or so too.  But there’s an occasional sneeze, and I don’t think that’s a worrisome symptom. No fever. Probably just leaf mold bothering me. But if I lose my sense of smell or taste, we’ll know.

11/22/2020 12:35 am  #6

glatt wrote:

Test appointments are about a week out here. And then the results take a week to get back. Not ideal..

That's what they say here too....but it generally seems to be working  lot faster than that.  but I don't blame them for publicizing otherwise.

Congestion here too, nothing unusual for this time of year, Doctor was not frightened by it at my  birthday party in her office.  Rub some dirt in it, probly.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/22/2020 4:49 am  #7

Fingers crossed for a mild bout of whatever it is, Clod x

Living life on the edge.

11/22/2020 7:39 am  #8

Good luck Clod. I hope it goes well.

Testing here has been mostly next day except at the beginning of the semester when they tested incoming students.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/22/2020 11:40 am  #9

would that be the cause or the cure?  or both?

Be Just And Fear Not

11/29/2020 8:09 am  #10

Someone asked and I realized I never updated this thread, which seems unkind... My fever lingered until Thursday, and since then I've been totally fine. I have a test scheduled for this afternoon to make sure I'm not one of those persistently-contagious-but-asymptomatic folks. Or possibly a negative test will mean I never had it in the first place, but either way I'll know I'm safe to go out again.

11/29/2020 8:16 am  #11

I hope that you are well.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

11/29/2020 8:10 pm  #12

Fingers crossed.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/30/2020 3:05 am  #13

Yep.

Living life on the edge.

11/30/2020 7:29 pm  #14

Iceland being a small country jumped on the virus with vigorous science and cooperation following the preset plan most countries had agreed to years ago. One of the things they determined from their small but tightly controlled testing surprised me.

"The most common symptoms among the 1,797 people who tested positive between 31 January and 30 April were muscle aches, headache and a non-productive cough — not fever, a symptom listed in both the US Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization case definitions for COVID-19."  

​I guess that means taking my temperature several times a day is just an addiction to the rectal thermometer.  

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (11/30/2020 7:30 pm)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera