cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2024 12:42 am  #1

Toilets

Toilets, bidets, outhouses or if you're a Bear, the woods.
Over the centuries progress, improvements, have strived to make pooping my convenient, more comfortable and more sanitary.
I've used some pretty crude outhouses over the years but I'd prefer any one of them to this...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/07/2024 11:54 am  #2

Re: Toilets

That downstairs toilet is basically no different than the ones we all use today.
All it is missing are a TP holder and a magazine rack.

2/07/2024 1:56 pm  #3

My parents have a toilet in the basement out in the open like that.  I grew up thinking it was normal.  We had a family of 6, and if somebody was occupying the real bathroom upstairs, it was nice to have the option in the basement.

The last two times I have been up there to visit them, that basement toilet has been running.  I've wiggled the float to get it to stop, and suggested they let me replace the toilet with a modern one, but they wave me off.  I'm curious to know what their water bill is.  I suspect there are hundreds of gallons of water a day going down that toilet.

They believe the  modern low flow toilets don't work, and want to keep their old 6 gallon flush monsters.  Never mind that they have never had issues with the 1.6 GPF toilets when they visit my house.  You just buy a good one, and they work.

2/08/2024 7:28 am  #4

I bought two fancy pressure tank low flows twenty years ago. One failed last year and the 1.6 off the rack at Lowes works beautifully. Low flows have been a really good advancement it's too bad that even progress in crappers gets opposition.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/08/2024 12:20 pm  #5

glatt wrote:

They believe the modern low flow toilets don't work, and want to keep their old 6 gallon flush monsters. 

And for good reason.  Companies such as American Standard, had cost controllers designing their early low flow models.  That failed often.  Consumer Reports, in those early days, said all low flow toilets from American companies were defective.  Recommended only imported one.

The world standard for toilets is now Toto (Japanese).  Like is Boeing, it is always about whether top management comes from from business schools or from where the work gets done.  Low flow toilets worked just fine when properly designed.

History says why many still fear low flow toilets.  Rather than learn why those crappy designed failed.

Last edited by tw (2/08/2024 12:21 pm)

2/10/2024 3:27 pm  #6

glatt wrote:

The last two times I have been up there to visit them, that basement toilet has been running.  I've wiggled the float to get it to stop, and suggested they let me replace the toilet with a modern one, but they wave me off.  I'm curious to know what their water bill is.  I suspect there are hundreds of gallons of water a day going down that toilet.

Perhaps you could just replace the mechanics inside the tank? It sounds like they wouldn't even notice if you did.

2/12/2024 12:46 pm  #7

I think you're right.  I might just do that.

2/14/2024 3:16 am  #8

Clodfobble for the win with the best way to fix the problem while avoiding confrontation and resentment.
We can't all have a setup where to can chum and fish at the same time.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/14/2024 12:19 pm  #9

I pictured that way out in the back bayou somewhere, with only a stray party boat to ruin your privacy.
Nope:
Reddit - https://preview.redd.it/1r8ho7dlnyw61.jpg?width=320&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=24424ccfb1baaa9d2e6041314d346a81de427bfe

2/14/2024 9:29 pm  #10

Dump into that water.  Fish eats disposed nutrition.  Man catches fish.   Clearly the circle of life.

And nobody need turn on the bathroom fan.

However there is one serious human safety issue.  No light.  One can easily take one step too far.  Then other would assume the splash was that toilet being flushed.  Not bother coming to the rescue.

Obviously a life jack is required equipment for that bathroom.

Last edited by tw (2/14/2024 9:32 pm)

Board footera