cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2024 6:43 pm  #1

Beds

OK, after 50+ years of sleeping very well on a waterbed, I have enough -itis's to make it sort of a challenge.
The quality of current mattresses, heaters and thermostats is also a problem.
So yesterday's leak will go unrepaired and I have begun the search for new regularly mattressed appliance.
I will resort temporarily to the $20 used box spring and mattress I bought even longer ago. 
There are nearly too many choices so any absolute Yes's and No's will help me a lot.
Queen size seems best. 

3/21/2024 8:04 pm  #2

Re: Beds

Simmons Beautyrest it still sleeps good after 10 years.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

3/21/2024 11:22 pm  #3

got an IKEA near you?  Do that.  pick a sprung mattress and a frame you like and don't look back.

You can probably use the money you saved (even after paying someone to put the frame together for you) to gold plate the moon

Last edited by monster (3/21/2024 11:23 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/22/2024 7:28 am  #4

Word. Mattress grifting is one of the great touch stones of 'Merican Capitalism.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/22/2024 11:09 am  #5

I'm a huge fan of the relatively new (in the last decade) foam mattresses that you buy online and they arrive all rolled up in a shrink wrapped heavy log that you open and they puff up.  They are about a third of the cost of a traditional mattress and hold up for the long haul.  We upgraded the size of our bed last Fall, and our 8 year old previous foam mattress was holding up beautifully.  It's now a guest bed.

"Sleep Like The Dead" has amazingly helpful reviews on all types of mattresses.  They are the gold standard of unbiased mattress reviews. I don't know how they make their income. You need to decide if you like soft/firm.  Warm/cool.

Our mattresses are Dreamfoam Bedding, which has changed its name to Brooklyn Bedding, and we buy a kind of latex foam bedding. I think we got the 9 inch high version of this.  https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/792292DE-953C-45BE-B2BB-E012870C01CF?ingress=2&visitId=5af7837c-ec2f-42b6-aae8-ff9cecacc219&ref_=ast_bln

3/22/2024 2:51 pm  #6

I sleep on one of those "rolled up, shrink-wrapped" foam mattresses, and it works just fine. Since I've been sleeping on it, I never think about my mattress, like "it's too hard // too soft" ..so I guess it's just right.

I got it at Costco 1-2 years back. Picked it up, put it in the shopping basket, right to the back of my car. The first time you move it, it's the easist mattress you've ever moved.

eta: I suppose if I needed to move it again, I would fold it up and wrap a couple of bungee cords around it.

Last edited by Flint (3/22/2024 2:54 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

3/22/2024 6:13 pm  #7

I'm using a firm, king size, Sears-O-Pedic Imperial Elite which is an individually pocketed coil spring mattress that takes two (side by side) foundations. They were made by Sealy. It still looks and feels great. The mattress cost $399.99, the dual foundation cost $400.00, sales tax was $55.35, and the delivery fee was $20 for a total of $875.34.

I took delivery on FEB 28 1987. I think it turned out to be a good value. They probably don't make 'em like that anymore. I may still even have the receipt. : )))

3/23/2024 9:40 am  #8

I used to be a big fan of the individually pocketed coil spring mattresses  and I think they were the best mattress money could buy 25 years ago.  But now I like the shrink wrapped foam log ones.

3/23/2024 11:43 am  #9

Thanks for the input. More welcome.
I found a Serta in a local store for that looks and feels pretty nice.
$799 delivered, about the price of 10 Levi's 501's. 

3/23/2024 7:12 pm  #10

glatt wrote:

I used to be a big fan of the individually pocketed coil spring mattresses  and I think they were the best mattress money could buy 25 years ago.  But now I like the shrink wrapped foam log ones.

My IKEA mattress came rolled up and shrink wrapped, but it is individually pocketed coil springs

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/24/2024 11:05 am  #11

monster wrote:

My IKEA mattress came rolled up and shrink wrapped, but it is individually pocketed coil springs

*MIND BLOWN*

3/27/2024 9:38 pm  #12

How in hell do they roll up and shrink wrap a pocketed coil mattress? That's just too bizarre!!
My mattress is beat to shit from my fat ass, but I don't know if I should replace the box spring or not?

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera