cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2024 6:38 pm  #26

Re: Not allowed to say Queers anymore?

Here's a neat trick:

Someone left their cell phone on the table in a diner. You don't know who they are.

You wonder, "Should I try to call them? ..Wait.. how could I call them, their phone is here. Oh, I know! I'll call someone in their contacts, and they can tell me how to find them."

This is regular English, it doesn't require any special rules.

When someone goes by "they / them" pronouns, it's spoken in English exactly as if their gender is unknown or indeterminate.

eta:
a user on a message board, whose identity you don't know, is automaticlaly referred to as "they/them"
a suspect in a criminal investigation, whose identity hasn't been release to the public, is automaticlaly referred to as "they/them"
an unkown benefactor who has made an anonymous donation to charity, is automaticlaly referred to as "they/them"
a random person who accidentally let go of a balloon you see floating high above the city, is automaticlaly referred to as "they/them"

Last edited by Flint (3/19/2024 6:45 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

3/19/2024 6:44 pm  #27

Being a humble person, I self-identify using the indefinite pronoun "No one" in conversations.

If I mistakenly refer to someone by the wrong pronoun, I'll apologize by saying "No one is sorry."

If someone pursues the matter after the apology, I'll offer reassurance by saying "No one cares."

If someone further protests even after the reassurance, I'll say "No one loves you."

This is a kindness.

3/19/2024 6:46 pm  #28

r/terriblefacebookmemes

3/22/2024 3:01 pm  #29

Anyway, if you're fluent in English, you already know how to use "they/them" pronouns and do it every single day without giving it a second thought. Also, the bathrooms in your house are gender neutral. Anyone who is mad about these kind of things is getting bamboozled.

Board footera