cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/29/2024 1:27 am  #1

Micro Plastics

There is a bunch of scientists poking around to see where this stuff has migrated but don't really know if it's causing bad things to people except some of the scientists may be getting ulcers.They have found it in lakes, rivers, 14 public water supplies at last count, in bottled water and breast milk. Filters don't work well because it's so small a filter small enough to catch it would clog up easily.

I added an extra row on this meme...

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (2/29/2024 1:27 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/29/2024 8:34 am  #2

Re: Micro Plastics

In breast milk is interesting to me.  That means it's crossing all sorts of internal membrane barriers.  That's some small stuff.

2/29/2024 1:03 pm  #3

In the year 2525.  If man is still alive.  If woman can survive we will find ....

3/04/2024 11:45 pm  #4

Litteraly on fire 

3/08/2024 2:19 am  #5

glatt wrote:

In breast milk is interesting to me.  That means it's crossing all sorts of internal membrane barriers.  That's some small stuff.

I agree, if it's there it's everywhere in the body.

3/08/2024 9:07 am  #6

toranokaze wrote:

That some funny shit

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/08/2024 5:37 pm  #7

Some plastic will last over 100 years.  Eat then to survive another 100.  You may not be alive.  But you wll survive.

3/22/2024 2:56 pm  #8

Random person checking out my groceries told me, it doesn't matter, any of the crises we worry about, because the human fertility rate is precipitously dropping so fast that we'll just.. stop existing sometime soon. I think it's the "forever chemicals" that's doing that, like, teflon.

Last edited by Flint (3/22/2024 2:57 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

3/22/2024 7:54 pm  #9

Children of Men was a good movie.

3/23/2024 9:44 am  #10

I'll just put this here.

https://www.populationpyramid.net/

We do seem to be tapering way off in the developed world, except India.  The US is ok because immigration keeps our numbers up, but otherwise we would be crashing hard as the infirm Baby Boomers would pull us down in the next few years.

3/23/2024 11:36 am  #11

My understanding is that, right now at least, the dropping fertility rates are a social issue rather than a medical one. It's the massive spike in under-50 cancers that we're really going to have to contend with in the coming decades.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00720-6

3/31/2024 8:18 pm  #12

Historically the more wealth the less children (could be vice versa). Probably because they feel they don't need more kids to take care of then in their (cough cough) Golden Years (wretch). Wealthier nations besides the US have better elder care than poor ones.

3/31/2024 9:46 pm  #13

Golden years?  Tony Randall had two children.  A girl when he was 77 and a boy when he was 78.  Apparently he did needed more kids in his golden years.

3/31/2024 9:48 pm  #14

glatt wrote:

... otherwise we would be crashing hard as the infirm Baby Boomers would pull us down ...

Blame the old people.  Since they are least likely to fight back,

Board footera