cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2024 6:13 am  #1

Raw Milk Musings

Terminally on-line folks seem pretty wound up about raw milk. We always had a milk cow at home and had goats here for a time. We'd strain the milk but didn't pasteurize it. If you're buying it raw you should know if it's fresh and how it's being handled. If raw milk sits around too long the bacteria count likely climbs. If the cows never leave the barn and are filthy you are seeking trouble. Industrial agriculture doesn't compensate dairymen decently so they've attempted to grow their way to profitability creating a lot of environmental animal abuse issues. Raw would seem to be way for a small operation to do okay, although in the age of bird-flu, I don't really know what makes sense. Fresh food is something Big Ag can't compete with so you know how the industry press is going to go.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/15/2024 7:21 pm  #2

Re: Raw Milk Musings

Whereas fresh foods are desirable, food becomes more nutritious when cooked.  Since the various items that create nutrition are broken down; are easier to digest.  More goes into the body; less into shit.  Cooking not only made foods safer.  It also made foods more nutritious.

Bird flu in cows milk remains the undefined unknown.  Not a problem with pasturized milk.

Last edited by tw (6/15/2024 7:23 pm)

6/15/2024 9:26 pm  #3

Re: Raw Milk Musings

I've downed gallons and gallons of raw milk but only from my own cows... that I was aware of.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera