cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2021 1:39 pm  #51

Re: What's more current than the weather

Oh, I'm here and doing unreasonably well. We haven't lost power in my house at all.

My mom's been without power since 2am Monday morning--her house temp fell to 49 overnight--and my stepson has been without power AND running water since 5pm Monday. The water is the thing most concerning to him, because the stress has flared his OCD and he hasn't been able to wash his hands or take a shower in too many hours.

My stepdaughter, meanwhile, has more water than she wants--a pipe above her burst and she has several leaks and a bulging ceiling. Apartment maintenance knows about it, so there's not a lot else she can do except add buckets where needed (and call and yell at me about it, of course.) Meanwhile my dad is unreachable, so I'm assuming he's without power, too--he's not tech-savvy enough to have a phone charger in his car, and it's just a flip phone with a bad battery so it's surely dead by now. Basically, we're the only ones doing fine, but the roads are impassable so no one has any ability to get here and warm up for a bit. My brother tried to go to the store and ended up having to abandon his car and walk back home.

They've sort of implied power will be back by this afternoon, but I think that's a lie. My guess is Thursday.

2/16/2021 6:44 pm  #52

I just rammed the snow blower through about 5" of slush just as the temperature dropped. Close one.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/16/2021 6:46 pm  #53

Clodfobble wrote:

Oh, I'm here and doing unreasonably well. We haven't lost power in my house at all.

My mom's been without power since 2am Monday morning--her house temp fell to 49 overnight--and my stepson has been without power AND running water since 5pm Monday. The water is the thing most concerning to him, because the stress has flared his OCD and he hasn't been able to wash his hands or take a shower in too many hours.

My stepdaughter, meanwhile, has more water than she wants--a pipe above her burst and she has several leaks and a bulging ceiling. Apartment maintenance knows about it, so there's not a lot else she can do except add buckets where needed (and call and yell at me about it, of course.) Meanwhile my dad is unreachable, so I'm assuming he's without power, too--he's not tech-savvy enough to have a phone charger in his car, and it's just a flip phone with a bad battery so it's surely dead by now. Basically, we're the only ones doing fine, but the roads are impassable so no one has any ability to get here and warm up for a bit. My brother tried to go to the store and ended up having to abandon his car and walk back home.

They've sort of implied power will be back by this afternoon, but I think that's a lie. My guess is Thursday.

Construction boom coming in Texas. Be safe down there.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/16/2021 7:35 pm  #54

Re:  Actual Winter and Driving in same:

These mofos 'round here done lost they damn minds.

3/01/2021 7:48 am  #55

It is wet.

Very, very wet.

3/01/2021 10:20 am  #56

I have heard (and not sure I heard it right) that some areas in eastern America have seen record high rainfall rates this month.

Last edited by tw (3/01/2021 10:20 am)

3/01/2021 11:15 am  #57

I'm growing a little tired of the rain.  So much standing water in our yard.

I will say that the efforts we have made to keep the water out of our basement, with downspout extenders, has really paid off.  We have a dry basement, even with massive puddles all around our house.

3/01/2021 12:54 pm  #58

It was clear, sunny and 71 here yesterday.
This weather is a disaster.
Our rainfall year is at about 30%, reservoirs are about 20%, we have no snow pack on the mountains and the water table is down. 
February was down 80%.
We have had "miracle Marches" in the past and we are in dire need of one this year.

3/27/2021 6:55 am  #59

Just sayin'

8/02/2021 6:48 pm  #60

It's been 50 days without measurable precipitation.  The record is 55 days in 2017.  The forecast is for *maybe* some measurable precipitation this weekend.

It's pretty crispy here.

Be Just And Fear Not

8/02/2021 7:02 pm  #61

Speaking of the weather, or other geophysical phenonmena...

Check this out:

Be Just And Fear Not

8/03/2021 5:53 am  #62

I started to watch that, but can I get a promise that it isn't a snuff film?

8/03/2021 9:28 am  #63

An empty front porch couch gets snuffed, but that's it.

8/03/2021 11:26 am  #64

Scary stuff.
Maybe earthquakes are kind of climate change proof, but will the resulting tsunamis be noticeably worse due to sea level rise? 

12/12/2021 6:39 am  #65

If you want to see a good example of devastation, go to YouTube and look at any of the recent videos showing the  tornado damage in Mayfield, Kentucky (last I heard, at least 50 dead), or Dawson Springs, Kentucky.

Just, damn.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (12/12/2021 6:40 am)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

12/12/2021 2:51 pm  #66

Everyone wants to see the damage (and be emotional).  How many are asking for facts?

This tornado started somewhere in Arkansas.  Crossed the SE corner of Missouri (south of St Louis).  Then proceeded NE through maybe seven counties in KY before it got the Mayfield.  Plenty of time for warnings. Plenty of time to take shelter.  Where were the warnings?  What was the response?  How many locations has any such facilities for protection?

Tornadoes (like wind sheer) are quite rare.  Until recently, many tornado experts never saw one.  We now have, all over the nation, hardware that can detect tornadoes forming and their direction.  Mayfield  (and Dawson Springs farther to the NE) should have had plenty of warning.  Did they?

I care much less for the number of dead.  I care more about learning why; to avert (or minimize) future events.  Why did so many in an Amazon warehouse not know it was coming?

12/13/2021 8:19 am  #67

The workers actually on the floor would have had no idea, because they are not allowed to bring their cellphones in to work. From what I understand, management had about 30-40 minutes warning, and from that point on it was a combination of indecision (wasting more time) and having no proper tornado shelter on site (employees who survived say they were huddled into bathrooms.)

12/13/2021 10:40 am  #68

Soime reports implied that both the candlestick factory and Amazon warehouse had shelter areas.  But those did not work.  That (and not pictures of all the damage) are far more relevant.  Are actual news.

From one report, six people in the Amazon warehouse were in a shelter area in one corner of the building - where they died.  One report is only hearsay.  Other reporters should be concentrating on facts such as that.  And why that shelter failed.

Homes on some coastal areas are required to withstand 150 MPH winds.  Why is a small shelter, inside a building, not capable of withstanding a 155 MPH tornado.  Questions that are why we have news.

News must tell us what happened, why it happened, and how we can and will avert it.

12/19/2021 3:59 am  #69

Get emotional...

Tell Amazon to build bomb shelters in the warehouses.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/29/2022 9:39 pm  #70

The weather on the east coast is Whitey McWhiteout.

Then I'm studying this projection of warmer winters and get to the fuzzy fine print.
I'll be long dead and gone before this happens,

1/30/2022 8:02 am  #71

We've had the temperature swing from 4 F to -4F in the last 24 hours. Sposed to climb today.

1/31/2022 2:20 am  #72

Didn't get above freezing today but the forecast for the end of the week is for a couple inches of rain.
I'll just sit tight and let the lord taketh away, but it could change to more snow by then.
I'm sure the weather forecasters are using global input and scientific algorithms to determine the outcome.
Heads rain, tails snow. 

1/31/2022 10:56 am  #73

I remember the good old day when (during that one football game) in the second week of November, it never got above 20 degrees F.  When lakes once froze.  So deep that one could skate across those two miles for  weeks.

Somebody told me yesterday that they saw ice on the side of a creek.  Been meaning to go see it for myself.

Brooklyn Bridge was built so that the island of Manhattan was not constantly cut off by ice clogged rivers every year.  When was the last time the Hudson River froze over?

1/31/2022 8:15 pm  #74

We have your fucken freezen right here.  All r lakes are belong to Froz.  Also all r everything.

'pparently, it'll be warming up a tad tomorrow to provide some freezing rain right before the gajillion feet of snow starting 4am Weds and lasting forever.  Really, East Coast?  you had to share?  

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/31/2022 9:57 pm  #75

According to Weather Bug we are going to be clear and cold for the next 10 days.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

Board footera