cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2021 12:55 pm  #51

Re: What's more current than the weather

Meanwhile, Clodfobble, please check in when it's safe to do so.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/16/2021 1:39 pm  #52

Oh, I'm here and doing unreasonably well. We haven't lost power in my house at all.

My mom's been without power since 2am Monday morning--her house temp fell to 49 overnight--and my stepson has been without power AND running water since 5pm Monday. The water is the thing most concerning to him, because the stress has flared his OCD and he hasn't been able to wash his hands or take a shower in too many hours.

My stepdaughter, meanwhile, has more water than she wants--a pipe above her burst and she has several leaks and a bulging ceiling. Apartment maintenance knows about it, so there's not a lot else she can do except add buckets where needed (and call and yell at me about it, of course.) Meanwhile my dad is unreachable, so I'm assuming he's without power, too--he's not tech-savvy enough to have a phone charger in his car, and it's just a flip phone with a bad battery so it's surely dead by now. Basically, we're the only ones doing fine, but the roads are impassable so no one has any ability to get here and warm up for a bit. My brother tried to go to the store and ended up having to abandon his car and walk back home.

They've sort of implied power will be back by this afternoon, but I think that's a lie. My guess is Thursday.

2/16/2021 6:44 pm  #53

I just rammed the snow blower through about 5" of slush just as the temperature dropped. Close one.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/16/2021 6:46 pm  #54

Clodfobble wrote:

Oh, I'm here and doing unreasonably well. We haven't lost power in my house at all.

My mom's been without power since 2am Monday morning--her house temp fell to 49 overnight--and my stepson has been without power AND running water since 5pm Monday. The water is the thing most concerning to him, because the stress has flared his OCD and he hasn't been able to wash his hands or take a shower in too many hours.

My stepdaughter, meanwhile, has more water than she wants--a pipe above her burst and she has several leaks and a bulging ceiling. Apartment maintenance knows about it, so there's not a lot else she can do except add buckets where needed (and call and yell at me about it, of course.) Meanwhile my dad is unreachable, so I'm assuming he's without power, too--he's not tech-savvy enough to have a phone charger in his car, and it's just a flip phone with a bad battery so it's surely dead by now. Basically, we're the only ones doing fine, but the roads are impassable so no one has any ability to get here and warm up for a bit. My brother tried to go to the store and ended up having to abandon his car and walk back home.

They've sort of implied power will be back by this afternoon, but I think that's a lie. My guess is Thursday.

Construction boom coming in Texas. Be safe down there.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/16/2021 7:35 pm  #55

Re:  Actual Winter and Driving in same:

These mofos 'round here done lost they damn minds.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/01/2021 7:48 am  #56

It is wet.

Very, very wet.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

3/01/2021 10:20 am  #57

I have heard (and not sure I heard it right) that some areas in eastern America have seen record high rainfall rates this month.

Last edited by tw (3/01/2021 10:20 am)

3/01/2021 11:15 am  #58

I'm growing a little tired of the rain.  So much standing water in our yard.

I will say that the efforts we have made to keep the water out of our basement, with downspout extenders, has really paid off.  We have a dry basement, even with massive puddles all around our house.

3/01/2021 12:54 pm  #59

It was clear, sunny and 71 here yesterday.
This weather is a disaster.
Our rainfall year is at about 30%, reservoirs are about 20%, we have no snow pack on the mountains and the water table is down. 
February was down 80%.
We have had "miracle Marches" in the past and we are in dire need of one this year.

3/27/2021 6:55 am  #60

https://i.postimg.cc/MZyBZ0rB/winner.jpg

Just sayin'

Board footera