cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2021 7:03 am  #151

Re: What have you cooked recently

Clodfobble wrote:

Another great option for carb-free breading (that IMHO tastes better than the GF panko, which we've also tried) is crushed pork rinds, also known as chicharones in some parts of the country.

Thanks for that.

4/22/2021 4:02 pm  #152

Clodfobble wrote:

Another great option for carb-free breading (that IMHO tastes better than the GF panko, which we've also tried) is crushed pork rinds, also known as chicharones in some parts of the country.

Thanks!  I don't actually like pork rinds, so I'm not sure if that will work for me.  I might try it, though.

4/30/2021 2:26 pm  #153

Not exactly “cooked”, but I managed to shuck these three dudes with a butter knife (attacked at the rounded end as I got nowheres at the pointy end, you can see the bits I chipped off), and gobble them down with a dod of horseradish.

Living life on the edge.

5/01/2021 7:20 am  #154

Now I'm dreaming of seafood except those which close my throat.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/01/2021 11:33 am  #155

The guy or girl who ate the first raw oyster may have also been the one that said "Here, hold my beer" and "What could go wrong?"
I hope you picked those yourself from your small island waters.
Google has 2 M hits for "raw oysster danger."

5/01/2021 2:19 pm  #156

Diaphone Jim wrote:

The guy or girl who ate the first raw oyster may have also been the one that said "Here, hold my beer" and "What could go wrong?"
I hope you picked those yourself from your small island waters.
Google has 2 M hits for "raw oysster danger."

From a trusted source.

Living life on the edge.

5/02/2021 11:09 am  #157

I guess he likes his oysters well-done.

5/04/2021 11:06 pm  #158

Raw seafood is victual russian roulette.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

5/05/2021 5:58 am  #159

first google response for raw Russian seafood:
Stroganina (Russian строганина, literally "shavings") is a dish of the indigenous people of northern Arctic Siberia consisting of raw, thin, long-sliced frozen fish. Around Lake Baikal, the dish is referred to as raskolotka.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

5/05/2021 11:13 am  #160

I really do like sashimi. but not the cost and/or the parasites.
My old neighbor was a butcher in LA for decades and had tales to make you shudder. 

5/05/2021 5:48 pm  #161

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I really do like sashimi. but not the cost and/or the parasites.
My old neighbor was a butcher in LA for decades and had tales to make you shudder. 

"People who love sausage or the law should never watch either being made."   Upton Sinclair I think

Be Just And Fear Not

5/06/2021 11:59 am  #162

For the third time in the last year or so , I made one of my mother's specials:
Scalloped potatoes with pork chops layered in the middle, cheddar sprinkled on top.
Slice the taters thin. I added  cream of mushroom soup this time,
Easy and good! 

5/06/2021 3:49 pm  #163

Diaphone Jim wrote:

For the third time in the last year or so , I made one of my mother's specials:
Scalloped potatoes with pork chops layered in the middle, cheddar sprinkled on top.
Slice the taters thin. I added  cream of mushroom soup this time,
Easy and good! 

That also very good with sardines instead of pork chops.  Gives the meal a salty seafood flavor.

5/07/2021 11:57 am  #164

I forgot to mention a trip to the wine cabinet I've mentioned before.
It gave up a 1986 Fetzer Reserve California Petite Sirah.
Despite a crumbly cork, it was top-notch, with a fresh, fruity nose and soft, mellow tannins.
I probably got a 50% discount at the time, so I paid $6.    

Last edited by Diaphone Jim (5/07/2021 11:58 am)

5/30/2021 7:18 pm  #165

Big special breakfast today.  I cooked the bacon, three batches in the oven.  Twil cooked the rest.  We ate on the deck under the newly constructed robin's nest and surrounded by the dog's patrol route. Bacon, scrambled eggs with cheddar, homefries, about eight kinds of hot sauce, cherries, OJ, coffee, blueberry lemon cake.... just retyping that gives me a food coma.

Shortly after the previous picture, table cleared and reset.

Be Just And Fear Not

5/30/2021 9:20 pm  #166

BigV wrote:

...blueberry lemon cake...

You.  Evil.  Bastard.[/sojealous]

5/31/2021 5:39 am  #167

Gravdigr wrote:

BigV wrote:

...blueberry lemon cake...

You.  Evil.  Bastard.[/sojealous]

ooooooooo....

5/31/2021 11:41 am  #168

That looks great BigV!

6/03/2021 11:21 am  #169

No big deal, but last BBQed a 1 lb lamb shoulder chop.  Could have had more meat, but tasted pretty good.

Posting to ask why the US doesn't grow sheep stuff anymore.
I can't remember when I got lamb from anyplace but Australia or NZ.
Northern California used to be a main supplier., now 8000 miles.

6/03/2021 12:10 pm  #170

I was watching a forestry video on YouTube a few months ago.  Maybe I saw it because one of you guys posted it.  But anyway, the Vermont professor was talking about how Napoleon was responsible for major changes in the forests of the East Coast because his wars created a huge demand for wool uniform coats, and the colonist raised a lot of sheep to meet that demand.  The sheep pastures transformed the land.

6/03/2021 4:11 pm  #171

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Posting to ask why the US doesn't grow sheep stuff anymore.

Turns out we we've been planting them too deep, and not watering them enough.

6/03/2021 10:01 pm  #172

Like most things that used to was, I'd bet the economics of sheep changed.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/04/2021 6:17 am  #173

I have a neighbor in the sheep business. It doesn't pay although there is some money in selling lambs. He does better with his gas well.

6/04/2021 7:03 pm  #174

Lamb has been ridiculously priced and usually imported ever since we arrived here.  I asked about it back in the early days, and the numerous responses i got went basically along the line of "ew, eating a lamb would be like eating a kitten...."  but I suspect that's because it was just unusual.  Same people seemed to have no problem with veal.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/04/2021 7:10 pm  #175

Yesterday, we had a chicken breast that needed eating, so I cubed it and chucked it in the crockpot on top of onion, celery, carrot,,bay leaves, S&P, and let it slow cook all day.  Come the evening, I sauteed some finely chopped mushrooms in butter, then added the stock from the crock, milk, thickened it, shredded the chicken and chucked it in with a little mozzarella and served it over pasta.  It turned out ok -disappeared too fast for pictures 

Last edited by monster (6/05/2021 5:31 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

Board footera