cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2022 8:25 pm  #101

Re: Cooking from cookbooks - A challenge

Ah, chocolate cake...

(sigh) I remember chocolate cake.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

8/31/2022 5:26 am  #102

That bread looks pretty French to me! And the chicken sounds good too! Not gonna think about the chocolate cake, nuh UH nope no way

Last edited by Limey (8/31/2022 5:27 am)

Living life on the edge.

8/31/2022 5:32 am  #103

This looks yummy!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/26/2022 9:59 am  #104

I've made a few things, but not a lot of progress.  I also made some cookies and a cake that aren't pictured here.

I've used 30 cookbooks so far.  I've got 66 left to go.  I'm off for 2 weeks at the end of the year, so I'm hoping to get some cooking in then, too.

1/19/2023 10:46 am  #105

I made three more recipes and added another cookbook
First is a cookie!!

Next up is Paul Prudhomme!  The recipe wasn't actually his, though.  I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the finished meal, but I think I'd cut down the potatoes and actually add some chicken to it.  VERY spicy

Lastly, Meta Givens and some Mac and Cheese - I had to use the broiler to get it browned, but it was delicious

Last edited by bbro (1/21/2023 2:06 pm)

1/20/2023 9:27 am  #106

I distributed Milk Street cookbooks this Christmas. They were well received. How do you like Prudhomme? Anything in there for the shrimp, crab, and lobster allergic?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/21/2023 2:09 pm  #107

I've never heard of Milk Street - cool!  I love getting cookbooks

I like it.  This is the second recipe I've made of his.  I actually have 3 different cookbooks from him.  There's a lot of non-seafood recipes.  That one above has none of that - it's basically andouille sausage and potatoes.

1/21/2023 6:40 pm  #108

Cool!

2/12/2023 1:06 pm  #109

Trying to cook at least 1 new recipe from the books every month.  This time, is my newest one.

This is what I made

This is how it looked

As you can see, I'm missing the green onions that I forgot.  And I forgot I had ginger in the freezer.  Other than that, it's pretty good.  Definitely worth it to try again with all the ingredients.  One thing I'll do differently is fry the beef in a skillet instead of a wok.  I think I'll get the crispy crust they talk about better that way.

35 of 98 completed....

2/12/2023 1:27 pm  #110

I would eat that.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

2/12/2023 1:40 pm  #111

Oh yes, definitely. Looks great!

2/12/2023 2:33 pm  #112

Thanks!

They actually have a version of this on their website: https://thewoksoflife.com/mongolian-beef-recipe/
It's not the same as the book, but still popular

Next week, I may attempt bread.....again

Board footera